Ici, on parle français...

Prepare yourself for a wargaming tour-de-force! Conquest of the Aegean is the next generation of the award-winning and revolutionary Airborne Assault series and it takes brigade to corps-level warfare to a whole new level. Realism and accuracy are the watchwords as this pausable continuous time design allows you to command at any echelon, with smart AI subordinates and an incredibly challenging AI.

Moderator: Arjuna

Tzar007

RE: Here's an idea for Matrix

Post by Tzar007 »

Jemand spricht Deutsch hier? [;)]
GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy »

Oh ja, es gibt einige deutsche AA-Fans.

Bien sûr, il y'a des AA-Fans allemand. :D
Oh, and I'm not the only one, eheh. [:'(]

I'll hush now... pardon ! [&o][;)]
"Aw Nuts"
General Anthony McAuliffe
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
"I've always felt that the AA (Alied Assault engine) had the potential to be [....] big."
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006
Cenubi

Post by Cenubi »

ORIGINAL: MarkShot

(1) Can we build upon the PC4War work? Meaning will we big given legal access to it? Is it a good point of departure?

Là-dessus je rejoins JeF [:)]

(2) What do you think about assembling a mini-table of content for an abridged manual as step one? Step two would be to prioritize the various sections so that the most useful areas get covered first.

C'est ce que j'avais en tête en effet. A mon avis c'est ce qu'il y a de mieux à faire dans un premier temps. Je veux bien m'y coller (avec tous ceux qui le souhaitent bien sûr [;)] N'hésitez pas à me le faire savoir)

(3) Should this be done as a Wiki so that it could be collaborative effort of a number of authors?

Très bonne idée

(4) I believe it is not practical to translate the entire documentation set, but maybe enough can be covered to get beyond the obstacle French speakers might have buying the game.

Oui c'est vrai et comme l'a très justement dit Ugo ce serait de toute façon très difficile de réaliser une traduction intégrale qui conserve la qualité de l'original...

(6) Do you know any other French customers who might help with the project?

Je m'y intéresse et je te tiens au courant

Thanks.

De rien [;)]
lian

Post by lian »

Bon et bien je vais profiter honteusement de la possibilité de parler français. J'ai un double écran et le jeu fonctionne très bien en mode de lancement "match the screen resolution": je peux profiter du second écran pour lire le fichier pdf Reference Manual par exemple :-)
Par contre, si j'essaie de le lancer avec l'attribut "-resolution 1280x1024" ma résolution par défaut, cette possibilité disparait (la souris ne peut pas passer sur le second écran). Est-ce qu'il y a possibilité de lancer le jeu avec un attribut "-resolution screen resolution" ?
sterckxe

Post by sterckxe »

ORIGINAL: lian

Bon et bien je vais profiter honteusement de la possibilité de parler français. J'ai un double écran et le jeu fonctionne très bien en mode de lancement "match the screen resolution": je peux profiter du second écran pour lire le fichier pdf Reference Manual par exemple :-)
Par contre, si j'essaie de le lancer avec l'attribut "-resolution 1280x1024" ma résolution par défaut, cette possibilité disparait (la souris ne peut pas passer sur le second écran). Est-ce qu'il y a possibilité de lancer le jeu avec un attribut "-resolution screen resolution" ?

Essayer avec "-resolution default"

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

lian

Post by lian »

Très bien. Merci :-)
Tzar007

Post by Tzar007 »

Ah bien ça alors, je viens d'apprendre un nouveau truc... J'ai moi aussi deux écrans, dont un écran réglé à 1280x1024 et j'avais modifié le raccourci avec -resolution 1280x1024 et j'avais les mêmes problèmes que lian. Drôle de voir qu'avec resolution default, COTA reste en 1280x1024 mais qu'au moins je peux circuler facilement d'un écran à l'autre !

Vivre le thread français [:D]
MarkShot

Post by MarkShot »

Well, I am happy this thread is doing some good.

For those, who happen to speak something besides English or French, Panther/Matrix has no problem opening further sticky threads or even sub-forums for other language groups.

The initial effort with French was inspired by the appearance of a number of articles/awards COTA was receiving in French print publications. We decided to initially go with a sticky thread as opposed to a sub-forum, since an empty stagnant sub-forum would have looked pretty silly if the idea did not catch on.

So, if you feel that your interests/player community will be better served by a similar sticky thread, please let us know. Also, if you have any inclination to migrate some portion of the documentation to your native language, also let us know if there is anything that we can do to assist you.

It was never the intention that the series should be soley for English speakers, but as Ugo so clearly explained (in French) full localization is well beyond the means of a small company such as Panther Games. The best we can hope for is that dedicated non-English speaking players will see the value of improving the accessibility of the series within their own language group and do something about it.

Thanks.
2021 - Resigned in writing as a 20+ year Matrix Beta and never looked back ...
Widell

Post by Widell »

Hey! What about Swedish! Oh, sh*t, forgot that we made a big deal out of going to Germany and most of northern Europe in the 17th century and later had to import a French King to save the monarchy (one could argue about the sanity in that, oui, oui, but that was in the 18th century). Then, a small glitch in the action, and we're at the 21st century and all of a sudden, there's no cold war, only a global market. Only 9 million speak Swedish as their first language (and probably out of those, 1 million has relatives in other countries speaking other languages) and the % playing war games most likely will deal with the manual and the forums as they are = Mainly in some version of English. I consider myself to fluent in Swenglish, but based on the differences between US, British, Aussie and Indian English, I have learned to cope with my own shortcomings.....

On the serious side, I know that the people over at TOAW III made some fuzz over language versions of the game itself, most of them seemingly developed by the community in exchange for free copies of the game. Not sure that a version of that could be used here, but at least its proof somehting can be done (And no, please no Swedish versions of anything......[;)])
Arjuna

Looking for Andre Bonet

Post by Arjuna »

Andre Bonet,

Can you please email me at dave[at]panthergames[dot]com re french translation of COTA manual. David Heath cannot decipher your handwritten email address and all combinations we've tried to date have failed.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
JeF

RE: Looking for Andre Bonet

Post by JeF »

Salut,

Je viens d'avoir confirmation de JP Liardet, rédacteur de PC4WAR, qu'une version plus complète du manuel traduit se trouvera dans le CD ROM du prochain numéro (le 25). Il contacte l'auteur pour voir si je pourrais le mettre en download sur mon site.

Dave, if you have contact with André regarding this manual, can you copy me or forward me his email ? Thanks.

A+

JeF.
Rendez-vous at Loenen before 18:00.
Don't loose your wallet !
Conquest Of The Aegean Web Development Team
The Drop Zone
lian

Post by lian »

Bonne nouvelle :-) (surtout que je n'achète pas PC4war).
MarkShot

Post by MarkShot »

Okay, things are becoming clearer.

Andre Bonet >>> IS <<< the author of the PC4WAR mini-manual, but there is actually a longer version? JeF, does Monsieur Liardet have a means to reach Andre? I would assume that he would if he published an abridged version of his work. Dave H and Dave O don't seem to have a valid email address for him.

Thanks.
Phil91

Post by Phil91 »

Bonjour à tous

Je suis très heureux de voir que la langue de Molière est enfin présente sur ce forum très interressant concernant COTA.

Je fais partis de ceux qui ne comprène pas grand chose à la langue de Shakespear mais qui adore COTA. Aussi lorsque j'ai appris qu'une traduction du manuel était enfin dispo sur CD4WAR n°24, je me suis précipité dessus. Oups ! que ne fut pas ma déception de ne constater que seulement 20 pages étaient présente. Domage car celles-ci sont remarquablement bien traduite.

ORIGINAL: JeF

Salut,

Je viens d'avoir confirmation de JP Liardet, rédacteur de PC4WAR, qu'une version plus complète du manuel traduit se trouvera dans le CD ROM du prochain numéro (le 25). Il contacte l'auteur pour voir si je pourrais le mettre en download sur mon site.

Il s'agit la d'une très très bonne nouvelle!!!!!![:D]

Je laisse mon PC allumer pour savoir quand cela sera disponible.

Encore un grand merci à tous ceux qui travaillent bénévolement ou pas pour des gros féniants comme moi qui auraient du écouter les cours d'anglais au lieu de mater la voisine en mini jupe!!! [X(][X(]

Merci [&o][&o]

Phil91
MarkShot

Post by MarkShot »

Phil91,

Bienvenue a notre communite de COTA!
MarkShot

Post by MarkShot »

Another official unofficial announcement ... FLASH: As of today, a small group of dedicated COTA players have embarked on an effort to render about 100 pages of critical game play information for COTA and the series in general into French (yes, the language of Moliere)! At the moment, this is an all volunteer effort, but does involve some members of the Beta Team. However, I have been assure by the management no raises will be handed out as a result of this effort.

Well, I make this announcement for a number of reasons:

(1) For those of you who are French speaking and effectively have felt inhibited from buying COTA due to language issues, we hope to resolve that in a satisfactory fashion in the near future.

(2) We gladly welcome any other French speaking volunteers to join our effort. You do not need to be able to write in English only have a sufficient reading knowledge to translate it. Our activities are being coordinated in both English and French, but it always acceptable to write only in French if that is what is most convenient. If interested, send me a PM.

(3) For anyone else following this thread who neither speak English or French as a first language, consider that this is an experiment to see how far the player community can go to pseudo-localize the game.

---

JeF n'est pas ici m'aider traduire. Cette semaine, il fait une voyage. Je vais ecrire tres simple.

Au'jourd'hui nous avons commencer traduire le material plus necessaire pour joeur COTA en Francais (100 feulles pages?). Il ne faut pas avoir peur. Ce n'est pas moi qui va faire le travail. :)

Nous invitons l'autres personne qui parle Francais travailler avec nous. Si vous etes interesse, PM moi. Il ne faut pas ecrire en Anglais; seulment lire.

Merci.
JeF

Post by JeF »

JeF n'est pas ici m'aider traduire. Cette semaine, il fait une voyage. Je vais ecrire tres simple.

Je suis encore là pour quelques heures. [;)]
[:D]
Mark, c'est parfait : tu es bien meilleur que Bablefish !

Seulement ...
Si vous etes interesse, PM moi. Il ne faut pas ecrire en Anglais; seulment lire.

Mark veut dire que vous pouvez lui écrire en français. Il le lit très bien. Il vous répondra très certainement en anglais.

A+

JeF.
Rendez-vous at Loenen before 18:00.
Don't loose your wallet !
Conquest Of The Aegean Web Development Team
The Drop Zone
sterckxe

Post by sterckxe »

ORIGINAL: JeF
Mark veut dire que vous pouvez lui écrire en français. Il le lit très bien. Il vous répondra très certainement en anglais.

ou en franglais [:D]

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx
nemo69

Post by nemo69 »

Bonjour,

Juste un petit bonjour de la part d'un tout récent acquéreur de CotA - j'ai craqué ce soir, sorti la Visa et déchargé le jeu [:)]

J'en suis au tutoriel pour l'instant, mais ce que je peux en voir me confirme les excellentes impressions recueillies de tous côtés. Bravo à l'équipe de développeurs et de testeurs.

Je repasserai sans doute par ici d'ici peu avec des questions de bleu-bite - à bientôt donc [;)]

Marc
Fais ce que dois
MarkShot

Post by MarkShot »

Nemo69,

Welcome to the community! And on behalf of PG, thanks for your compliments on the game.

May I ask how did you become aware of the game? Was it due to recent coverage in PC4War or Cyberstratege?

Return to “Conquest of the Aegean”