Online Play

Prepare yourself for a wargaming tour-de-force! Conquest of the Aegean is the next generation of the award-winning and revolutionary Airborne Assault series and it takes brigade to corps-level warfare to a whole new level. Realism and accuracy are the watchwords as this pausable continuous time design allows you to command at any echelon, with smart AI subordinates and an incredibly challenging AI.

Moderator: Arjuna

06 Maestro

Online Play

Post by 06 Maestro »

During my 1st effort to play a M.P. game, I ran into a few snags. Like most everyone these days I use a router, anti virus, anti spy ware, and a fire wall. To allow passage through these defenses can be a little tricky. After making all the required changes that should have allowed my PC to act as a host for a game, it would not. Fortunately, my opponent had a program to work around this situation.

This program is called Hamachi. It provides a secure LAN over the internet. I had it downloaded, installed and configured in less than 5 minutes-very user friendly. The game and COTA chat worked perfectly through this program.

Perhaps many of you have already heard of this program, but it was news to me. I did a search on the Matrix site and it came up with one reference to this program (under COG forum). So I assume that this great little program is not well know here. There is a free version located at http://www.hamachi.cc/
Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

sterckxe

RE: Online Play

Post by sterckxe »

ORIGINAL: 06 Maestro

During my 1st effort to play a M.P. game, I ran into a few snags. Like most everyone these days I use a router, anti virus, anti spy ware, and a fire wall. To allow passage through these defenses can be a little tricky. After making all the required changes that should have allowed my PC to act as a host for a game, it would not. Fortunately, my opponent had a program to work around this situation.

This program is called Hamachi. It provides a secure LAN over the internet. I had it downloaded, installed and configured in less than 5 minutes-very user friendly. The game and COTA chat worked perfectly through this program.

Perhaps many of you have already heard of this program, but it was news to me. I did a search on the Matrix site and it came up with one reference to this program (under COG forum). So I assume that this great little program is not well know here. There is a free version located at http://www.hamachi.cc/

Downloaded it - going to give it a go - thanks for the heads-up

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

06 Maestro

Post by 06 Maestro »

If you want to test it you need an opponent-I'm here, or there.

Thomas Jefferson

06 Maestro

Post by 06 Maestro »

Anyone try Hamachi yet?

Thomas Jefferson

AlexB

Post by AlexB »

What a coincidence! I only heard about Hamachi a week ago and was planning to give it a try... Still haven't installed it though... Will do so soon.
06 Maestro

Post by 06 Maestro »

It is a VPN system-it works very well. I was surprised at how easy it was to configure.

Thomas Jefferson

06 Maestro

Post by 06 Maestro »

Another "bump" for those who might need a little assistance in online play.

Thomas Jefferson

06 Maestro

Post by 06 Maestro »

Time to dust off this old thread.

Recently, after an update of their system, I have had bad luck with Hamachi. There are issues between it and my software I use for my LAN. So, I needed to make the game system work on its own. It took a few tries, but then success came-actually fairly quickly.

Setting the firewall and AV programs are not really a problem. The router configuration can be a bit trickier. I came across a program called PFPortchecker which will tell you if you have set your port forwarding and triggering correctly. With such a tool it is easy to narrow done your connectivity problem-drastically. The program is free and can be had at PFPortforward dot com.

Without Hamachi, you should make arrangements to have some other messenger service for you and your opponent to use until you are both logged into the game.

BTW, to make use of the in-game chat feature, you must set your message preference to "all" (equivalent). If you use "flash", "Urgent" or "none" you will not see your opponents messages.

Thomas Jefferson

Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

BTW, to make use of the in-game chat feature, you must set your message preference to "all" (equivalent). If you use "flash", "Urgent" or "none" you will not see your opponents messages.

Ooh is that so. I'll look into that and see if we can ensure the chat regardless of the message filter for BFTB. Thank you.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
06 Maestro

Post by 06 Maestro »

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

Ooh is that so. I'll look into that and see if we can ensure the chat regardless of the message filter for BFTB. Thank you.

Yes Sir, it is so. There were folks that thought it was broke in the past. I had forgotten about that until it happened in a game today. I was going to suggest some change for BftB, but thought it was too late for any such change. If it can be done, it would be a nice little improvement that will save at least some players some frustration.

To have it as a default on,or on in any mode except "none" in message settings would be nice. Frequently I prefer to reduce game messages to "flash or "urgent", but cannot in MP games as I would lose messaging.

It would be a nice fix. It is not a great problem, but one that keeps popping up now and then. BTW, The messaging works in the initial MP options game window -so this is misleading some players to think that something is broken in-game.
Thanks for taking a look.

Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Conquest of the Aegean”