Stuck In The Teeth - Axis

Post reports of your great victories and disastrous defeats here to share with other gamers.

Moderators: Panther Paul, Arjuna

Mahatma

Stuck In The Teeth - Axis

Post by Mahatma »

Morning! Another Speed Ops (tm) game about to begin. I've got 1hr50m to complete this.

D1 AM PLAN:
a. Infiltrate sturm companies to cut off resupply to the three objectives on the ridge and dig-in to the forest perimeter.
b. Quickly move gren regiments up to the nearest villages while it's dark. I know Lutzkampen is empty because I've played this scenario before.
c. Move werfers to a position from which they can bombard the bridges.

STUFF TO DO:
a. Step up support units to fill gaps, control supply routes.
b. Issue more recce orders.
c. Stop and think when issuing orders. Check facing, route, aggro etc.
Have: Socks. Deodorant. £2 gloves. Mince pies.
Want: Line formation banned until I give a specific order to use line formation. Troops that don't take lie-ins until 0800 unless ordered to never rest.
Mahatma

RE: Stuck In The Teeth - Axis

Post by Mahatma »

D1 AM:
a. Little resistance in the villages. Some movement from the bridges but the sturm coys saw them off and made life difficult. Werfers doing damage as usual. Only reinf are a Bn of Panzers, but it's dark now and they can't do much.

D1 PM:
a. Reinf of 2xBn in the south will attack at night towards the bridges. Flak needs to move up. I need Oberhausen bridge to move armour north to the exit point.

70 minutes left.
Want: Line formation banned until I give a specific order to use line formation. Troops that don't take lie-ins until 0800 unless ordered to never rest.
Mahatma

Post by Mahatma »

A solid night attack takes once bridge at the cost of much fatigue. It's probably better to begin around 0400 and assault at 0600 than what I did because the reinforcements I took the bridge with are at around 90% fatigue now and will struggle to hold. The attack on the northern bridge failed miserably as I didn't have enough units and the defenders are predictably dug-in. Armour I decided to move SW to exit east, but they ran into a village and lost a few tanks. Now I'll change the plan and move them N to assist in that failed assault.

Mahatma

Post by Mahatma »

Fatigue is awful now. No energy to push towards Welswampach before the end of the day :(

Mahatma

Post by Mahatma »

The Eastern front beckons. The reinforcements appeared and moved towards the exits but were bogged down by stragglers for the most part.

Time to read the strategy guide again and take more notes!

Time taken: 1hr45m
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Avoid the temptation to throw everything at the enemy. Always keep a reserve resting (not defending). Fatigue management is a huge part of the game for most scenarios.
Mahatma

Post by Mahatma »

Yes it is. So how do I manage fatigue?

a. Avoid long moves at night or assaulting at night.
b. Use rest orders instead of defend orders when safe.
c. Try and sleep in villages and towns as fatigue recovers more quickly in cold weather.
d. Avoid long assaults.

Anything else?

Return to “After Action Reports”