Jarama Valley, Spanish Civil War MOD

Post new maps, scenarios, estabs and mods here to share with other gamers.

Moderators: Arjuna, Panther Paul

Tagüeña

Jarama Valley, Spanish Civil War MOD

Post by Tagüeña »

Hello,

My English is too poor to give details of the project I 'm working , so it's best to let the images speak you might see on this thread.

www.puntadelanza.net/Foro/phpBB3/viewto ... 37&t=16131

What follows is the work of the translator of Google .

This set in the Battle of Jarama in February of 1937.

I am using historical war maps from the National Geographic Institute to map scenarios. The level of detail is deliberately high , reflecting mileages, isolated houses, farms, isolated industries , streams and the names of all the elements, as in the original maps. I think it is essential to have an awareness of the situation and make the experience truly immersive game.

This is a small sample , I'm now working on a larger map covering the entire nationalist offensive at Jarama . The appeal of this warlike scenario is that the Republican Chief of Staff Vicente Rojo, had planned an offensive to relieve frontal attack on madrid by nationalists using the same valley of Jarama. So that the volume is considerable forces in battle .

rickier65

RE: Jarama Valley, Spanish Civil War MOD

Post by rickier65 »

This looks like a nice piece of work Taguena. Looking forward to the finished work.

Thanks!
Rick
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

This looks fantastic, Taguena. Just seen your post now. Please complete it! The map looks superb - very detailed. You have created a brand new estab too? Excellent work. Hats off to you. I hope you will complete it and post it here. Would love to play it through.
dazkaz15

Post by dazkaz15 »

It looks amazing Tagüeña [&o]
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Nice work. Love the YouTube video.[&o]
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Tagüeña

Post by Tagüeña »

Thanks!

A request. Would it be possible to develop a "plugin" that allows for MapMaker write diagonally or rotate text boxes?

regards,
Tagüeña

Post by Tagüeña »

I say that because of the necessity of naming highways and roads, if this is done only in a strict horizontal plane, it is a very mottled map.

Look:

http://i58.tinypic.com/f55d1d.jpg

http://oi58.tinypic.com/149zfnm.jpg
Tagüeña

Post by Tagüeña »

Tagüeña

Post by Tagüeña »

BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

ORIGINAL: Tagüeña

Thanks!

A request. Would it be possible to develop a "plugin" that allows for MapMaker write diagonally or rotate text boxes?

regards,

This is GREAT WORK! Great job on the map textures. Too bad I don't have the proper keyboard to write your forum handle [:(]

Regarding rotation of Map Shapes: we have already implemented in the CO2 dev branch the possibility of rotating maps. Rotating specific map shapes - like text boxes - is definitely doable by extending that. The hardest bit would be to provide with the necessary user interface widgets to make it useable.
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Taguena - can you not post these scenarios here? Or if not, a link to where we can easily download all the material needed? Is there a new OOB/estab file too? Would love to play this scenario. Do I have to use the link at the top of the page(and read the Spanish). Si, es possible, pero seguro que hay mucha gente que queria intentarlo y no puede leer el castellano. Gracias! Mejor si puedes ponerlo aqui, si es possible, con instructions en Ingles, no?

I found the download link (I think) in your thread and downloaded everything. Am I right there is only 1 scenario - the Jarama scenario? Which is, I think, small, no? Tell me if I did anything wrong, or if I need to do more - I am running version 279. I took the contents of the jarama folder 'escenariopindoque' and put all the files in their various places. There was a scenario file, a map ('JARAMA')and the 2 estab files. I then opened the map in mapmaker, generated a cache and saved it. I then opened the scenario in scenmaker, and saved it. When I opened up the scenario in game, playing allies, I get a scenario with a roughly Regimenal size force (2 battallions), no reinforcements, 1 objective (besides kill the enemy). Does that all sound as f it works as planned?

In which case, what are the two extra big map files in the download? Are they simply (really superb) maps which you have made, with no scenarios attached?

It's fantastic work, Taguena. Many people will be interested in it, but if they don't have Spanish ten they probably won't be digging around your Spanish thread trying to find the download, which is why I say you really should post it here, with English instructions, or at least a clear link to the download link, and some instructions. Please! It's a great mod, I think - looking forward now to trying to the little scenario - and should have more exposure.

Peter
BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

Peter,

my understanding is that the scenarios, estabs and map graphics are still under development. From what I can see at the discussions at puntadelanza, the project is quite mature. I already wrote to him offering assistance and guidance.
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Cheers, Miguel. Yeah, I read your posts there - and read the 'criticisms' of CO with some surprise, since it is, as you said, I think, just a case of people wanting what they're used to (and why not?), even if that is (imho) vastly inferior to the Panther system. Hexes and turns. To each their own, I guess.

The mod looks really superb, I think. I'm keen that he should get it posted so non-Spanish speakers can get it. The map is fantastic.
BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

ORIGINAL: phoenix
Cheers, Miguel. Yeah, I read your posts there - and read the 'criticisms' of CO with some surprise, since it is, as you said, I think, just a case of people wanting what they're used to (and why not?), even if that is (imho) vastly inferior to the Panther system. Hexes and turns. To each their own, I guess.

Well, sometimes the criticism can be well-founded. But most of time is based on making the following non-sequitur logical inference:

1. I am capable of playing well after a couple sessions war games with hexes, turns and zocs
2. Command Ops has no hexes, turns and zocs
3. Command Ops is a war game
4. Since Command Ops is a war game, I must be capable of playing it well after a couple sessions

Indeed, much can be done to improve the accessibility of Command Ops, but the first, mandatory, step is to get past and over the mechanics in most computer-based war games. Even if it has counters and a grid on the map.
The mod looks really superb, I think.

I am very happy with the mods that people are making - Hi Chris! looking forward to your take on Tunisia :) They're all of very high quality and deal with campaigns which have seldom received any treatment (well, probably in TOAW, of course). This one in particular strikes a chord very near my heart - and it looks just amazing. Looking forward to further battles and theaters of the Spanish Civil War (Guadalajara, Brunete, Ebro, Belchite, etc.).

I second that, probably sooner than later, you'll get something like that.
I'm keen that he should get it posted so non-Spanish speakers can get it. The map is fantastic.

Indeed, I think it's quite important. This is a subject matter which is much sought after at this particular level of abstraction.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”