Do you employ infantry-armour cooperation?

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Panther Paul, Arjuna

midgard30

Do you employ infantry-armour cooperation?

Post by midgard30 »

I was wondering if people were using the infantry-armour cooperation? As for myself, I never use it, because I just forget this task exists. Reading the game manual recently, I came across its section. From what I understand, it is used by an HQ when entering or crossing a covered terrain by sending the infantry company first, then the armour one. Am I right by saying the reason is that infantry performs better in cover terrain, so it opens the road for the tanks, which in return provide back up?

So how should this task be integrated when developing a plan:
1) Always trade one infantry company with an armour company between battalions, no matter what.
2) Only trade units when entering/crossing covered terrain.
3) Don't bother with it.

Two others questions:
- Does cooperation work with Motorized/Mechanized infantry?
- In the same vein, I know that Motor/Mech Inf units don't have an unmounted status, but when assaulting or routing are they considered on foot or on wheel?

Thanks

RangerX3X

RE: Do you employ infantry-armour cooperation?

Post by RangerX3X »

I play these games infrequently so I don’t delve into the details too much, however as a general rule of thumb I always order attacks with forces comprised of armor and infantry using successive lines. I tend to fight at the battalion level, and rarely order a regiment level attack (or above). Whatever units are organic to those forces are what I go with, I don’t attach armor if it is not already present.

Just my 2 cents adjusted for inflation…your mileage may vary.
midgard30

RE: Do you employ infantry-armour cooperation?

Post by midgard30 »

Good to see that this forum is still alive!

Thanks for the advice. I will pay a closer attention to assault formation (I usually let the HQ decide in this case).

I also give most of my orders at the battalion level. I remember once giving an order to a regiment HQ. When I checked its plan, the path of one of its battalions was passing right in the middle of enemy units (which was not the objective). I don't know the reason, but I suspect that unlikely to me (the higher HQ), it seemed it didn't have the whole picture of the front line. So now, I give orders to regiment HQ only for large but simple assaults.

Return to “Command Ops Series”