BFTB (Mini-Guide): Tutorial, AAR, and tips! (more or less)

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Panther Paul, Arjuna

MarkShot

RE: BFTB (Mini-Guide): Material TBD

Post by MarkShot »

James,

I haven't tried Vista or Win7. But in XP, you can do it through the Task Manager.

For years, I have been using an excellent free utility to load balance on my 4 processor machine and typically games run on their own dedicated processor. I basically have a rule database that I hand crafted for how I use my machine: 1-OS, 2-Apps, 3-Background game utilities, 4-Games. It works nicely for me. So, HTTR/COTA/BFTB I run on 3+4.

http://www.bill2-software.com/processmanager/
2021 - Resigned in writing as a 20+ year Matrix Beta and never looked back ...
James Sterrett

Post by James Sterrett »

Thanks Mark!  [:)]
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

James,

The OS does this automatically by default. You can get5 some third party tools which allow you to override this. Ask MarkShot.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Henri

Post by Henri »

ORIGINAL: James Sterrett

Question from the clueless:

How do I allocate processors to programs?
For Windows XP/Vista/7, access Affinity by opening the Windows Task Manager (CTL+ALT+DEL, or right-click on Task Bar), select "Processes" tab, right-click the application process you wish to isolate, then select "Set Affinity." Inside the Processor Affinity dialog, un-check the CPU/cores you do not need to use. This effectively isolates that application to the selected CPUs/cores preventing cache spanning and reducing process-switching and simplifies your ability to supervise CPU/core allocation for multiple programs.

Examples of use: Graphics intensive applications where multi-threading is not very effective, you can run multiple instances of that application rendering sequential image frames better allocating the system's threads. With Affinity set, the multiple instances will not step on one another making the rendering process more efficient.
(from Wikipedia "process affinity")

Henri
James Sterrett

Post by James Sterrett »

! Thanks!  Time to do some reading.  [:)]
johnterry807

Post by johnterry807 »

Hi,
I am also very interested in this subject, but the reference is very limited. You can share documents as well as experience? Thanks!
MarkShot

Post by MarkShot »

John,

I started this thread, but never really followed through with it. I no longer play games anymore as more pressing life concerns overtook my hobbies.

However, if you look in the HTTR and COTA forums you will find 3 very extensive threads of training material. They comprise about 300 pages if they were to be printed (also available as a PDF download). They are, at least, 80% pertinent to BFTB as well.

Enjoy the series!

PS: Panther did put the training videos for BFTB in the public domain and I think there is a demo. They are also other options if you haven't bought any of the games yet and want to get some sense of the series.
2021 - Resigned in writing as a 20+ year Matrix Beta and never looked back ...

Return to “Command Ops Series”