Any way to edit the scenario length?

Post here to discuss scenario, campaign, data and art editing as well as any mods to Panzer Command.

Moderator: koiosworks

BigBog

Any way to edit the scenario length?

Post by BigBog »

Larynoscope or Matrix Guys:
Am enjoying the scenario editor---thanks Lar!...am working on a short campaign and want to test it but don't want to play each scenario all the way through...any way to rapidly test with abbreviated (1-2 turn scenrios)??

Thanks

BigBog
gijas17

RE: Any way to edit the scenario length?

Post by gijas17 »

I was wondering the same thing as Robert except how do you set the amount of turns that take place in a user created scenario?

Is this value pre-determined in the game code?
"Our strategy is to destroy the enemy from within, to conquer him through himself."

- Adolf Hitler

Laryngoscope

Post by Laryngoscope »

As it is now (and big K correct me if i am wrong) there is no turn length. Or rather turn length is theoretically infinite. What determines if the scenario ends is if one side reaches the VP total first. Once that happens the game looks at the ratio of the two scores and then determines what type of victory or loss you have.

From turn 15 the defender begins to accure bonus points, so eventually the defender would win even if neither side did anything.

All this is in the code unfortuneatly. I have asked K to please move VP calcs into the XML and I guess they are considering it. This was discussed about 1 month ago in the PCOWS wish list thread.

One way around adjusting sceario length at the moment is to change the victory score in the editor. There will be some types of engagements which will be difficult to model with the system as it is currently implemented.
"It is not a Commonwealth division, it is an Australian Division. Why, give me two Australian Divisions and I will conquer the world for you!"

-- Erwin Rommel
BigBog

Post by BigBog »

ORIGINAL: Laryngoscope

As it is now (and big K correct me if i am wrong) there is no turn length. Or rather turn length is theoretically infinite. What determines if the scenario ends is if one side reaches the VP total first. Once that happens the game looks at the ratio of the two scores and then determines what type of victory or loss you have.

From turn 15 the defender begins to accure bonus points, so eventually the defender would win even if neither side did anything.

All this is in the code unfortuneatly. I have asked K to please move VP calcs into the XML and I guess they are considering it. This was discussed about 1 month ago in the PCOWS wish list thread.

One way around adjusting sceario length at the moment is to change the victory score in the editor. There will be some types of engagements which will be difficult to model with the system as it is currently implemented.
Thanks Larynogoscope...
I will try some tinkering with the VPs for now, hopefully the big K will switch out the VP calcs and scenario turn length possibly to the XML...

Do you know if there are any cheats to allow progression through the scenarios of a campaign?

The testers had to have a method I would think in artificially progressing through the campaign to test play balance...?

Regards,
BigBog
koiosworks

Post by koiosworks »

Just FYI. the Victory and Turn Limit fields in the XML for a scenario are not currently used at all. They are there for future purposes only.

The way victory is currently decided is based on a player obtaining 75% of the total pool of Victory Points available to that player. (the pool is the total value of all objectives + the total value of the enemy's troops).

Each turn, we add up the points a player has and compare to the total pool. Owning the objective gives you those points and killing enemy units gives you that unit's points (damaging a unit gives 1/2 points). Also, the defender starts earning free points starting turn 15.

If points earned divided by total points = 75% - then that player wins.

Unfortunately, We don't currently have a cheat code in the game that can end a scenario early. However, for modding purposes, you can easily make your own 'cheat' by modding the scenario you want to end by adding an objective and assigning it to the player you want to 'win'. Make the objective worth a huge value (100000) and the game should end right after turn 1 since the 'owning' player will have 75% of the total pool. -- hope that makes sense. If not, i can explain further.

thanks

BigBog

Post by BigBog »

Big K,
Thanks for that tip on how to engineering a quick victory using VPs! I will try it tonight.

Regards,
BigBog

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”