Need help with t-34s

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers.
NefariousKoel

RE: Need help with t-34s

Post by NefariousKoel »

I've had a little luck when I outnumber the Soviets in armor by pouring APHE fire from multiple tanks onto single ones from a distance to get a Stun on them.

Though I end up losing a few, I'll try to have at least double (or more) the numbers firing on the Soviet tanks while I move others up closer. I occasionally get a lucky shot with all that outgoing fire and brew one up, but I've definitely noticed the stun effects can put ANY tank out of action for a few turns with a Stun. It's not perfect, or even guaranteed to work, but it certainly helps quite a bit.
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Runesson,

Which type of T-34 are you dealing with? The earlier ones have more weaknesses than the later ones. In any case, for armor you want to try to engage them from the sides and rear, preferably out of their sighting arc (let them pass by while your tanks are behind heavy cover). That will give you a change to get quite a few shots in before they can react. 75mm HEAT will take them apart, but it may take a few shots. In general, you are hoping for a Turret hit as that is where the armor is thinnest.

For infantry, put them where the objective is and keep them in cover on Defend -> Hold Fire -> Close Assault orders. Once the T-34s get within 25m, swarm them on the flanks and rear and attack them in Close Assault.

Regards,

- Erik

But what is the T-34's LOS to infantry in a building on Defend>Hold Fire> Close Assault?

When I did Boot Camp the T-34's would open fire on me as far away as 81 meters. Don't remember now what the exact order set I gave them was.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hm, 81 meters shouldn't be possible based on the LOS rules, assuming the T-34s were moving.

Moving Unbuttoned Vehicle = 26 Sighting Factors
Trying to Spot Infantry Squad = -15 Sighting Factors
Infantry Squad in Building = -10 to -20 Sighting Factors

The best case scenario would be 1 Sighting Factor, which would spot the infantry at 30 meters, but it should be -9 Sighting Factors which means they shouldn't be spotted until well within close assault range.

If the vehicle is stationary and unbuttoned, then it has 40 Sighting Factors, which would result in 5 Sighting Factors after the modifiers, which is a spotting distance of 46 meters. If you have a save where a stationary vehicle is spotting your infantry squad in a building from >46m or a moving vehicle is spotting you from >27m, I'd love to check it out.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hm, 81 meters shouldn't be possible based on the LOS rules, assuming the T-34s were moving.

Moving Unbuttoned Vehicle = 26 Sighting Factors
Trying to Spot Infantry Squad = -15 Sighting Factors
Infantry Squad in Building = -10 to -20 Sighting Factors

The best case scenario would be 1 Sighting Factor, which would spot the infantry at 30 meters, but it should be -9 Sighting Factors which means they shouldn't be spotted until well within close assault range.

If the vehicle is stationary and unbuttoned, then it has 40 Sighting Factors, which would result in 5 Sighting Factors after the modifiers, which is a spotting distance of 46 meters. If you have a save where a stationary vehicle is spotting your infantry squad in a building from >46m or a moving vehicle is spotting you from >27m, I'd love to check it out.

Regards,

- Erik

It was the bootcamp scenario. All my guys were in buildings at the start. I couldn't figure out how to move them out of the buildings, didn't realize I had to unmount before leaving. The first time the T-34's killed almost everyone of them.

The second time I used smoke and my guys, still not leaving the buildings, killed the T-34s.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

Return to “The War Room”