Mcensk Campaign - spoilers

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.
rickier65

Mcensk Campaign - spoilers

Post by rickier65 »

Just finished the second battle of the Mcensk Campaign. Lots of units in this - infantry, armor and artillery.

Sent AC platoon east across the southern bridge to reinforce the dismounted Motorcycle platoon already on the east side of the river. The infantry platoon advanced slowly - the AC in support. The AC's barely made it over the bridge. The entire platoon was lost to long range fire from T34's

Two Infantry platoons supported by two tank platoons advanced up the main street.

One infantry plattoon along with the PvII platoon advanced North toward the NW objective along the west side of the map. the remaing forces started advnacing across open ground toward the north.

My plan was to take the SE object, the NW object and the Center object - then converg on the tow remaing objective in the the NE. A fairly obvious plan of course, but it made sense.

The motorcycle platoon on the East side of the river made steady progress - eventually occupying houses to the south east of the object, clearing out Russain along the way. One squad occupying rthe building rubble to the west of the object. The AC were toast. Lasting only long enough to get about 50 meters past the bridge. I diverted one tank platoon that had been supporting the cneteral advance to cross bridge and support the Infantry.

In the meantime, the KV-1's arrived and started killing anything they spotted. I held my tanks back, applying long range fire. the 88's were my salvation. While they were immobilke, they were powerful and slowed down the advance of the KV's

The central object fell while I positioned the Infantry in houses and used area fire on the factory. The Pz38 platoon got stalled in their advance North parallel to the main street. I spotted a platoon of T34's sitting on the NW objective and halted the advance to that object while I slowl, very slowly reduced them with long range fire.

Eventually started the advance again. But any tank poking his nose out of the woods was soon destroyed, first by the KV1's then by a 2nd platoon of T34's coming in from the NW.

diverted one of the Infantry platoons to the NW. finally with the PzII's in the woods south of the house near the objective one infantry platooncoming from directly south, andohter from the soutwest to drive home on the house and the objective.

In the center, infanctry holding its own.. the Tanks focussing on long range fire to the NE and to the NW. Artillery timed to have a continuous blanket across the northern woods to hold the KV1's.

In the SE objective area, another platoon of Russain tanks show up. Not good. everytime I send armor across the bridge it gets shot down, but the infantry won't be able to hold the objective against a tank platoon, so I divert part of another tank platoon across the bridge. Then I get a AT gun right werhe I need it. It takes out the advancing Russian tanks, as well as couple of T34's that had stayed stationary NE of the river.

I was running out of any AP ammo and it looked like things were going to peter out. There were still a couple of KV-1's in the woods - and some T34's NE of the river, I made a final lung toward the NW objective with PZII's and supporting infantry.

Game ended with a Marginal victory - around t26. My forces were decimated though - (adtually 3Xdecimated). Lots of medals - but not much recovered from the battlefield.

On to the next battle of this campaign.

Rick

Return to “After Action Reports”