mega patch PCK

The highly anticipated second release in the Panzer Command series, featuring an updated engine and many major feature improvements. 3D Tactical turn-based WWII combat on the Eastern Front, with historical scenarios and campaigns as well as support for random generated battles and campaigns from 1941-1944.
KEYSTONE07950

RE: mega patch PCK

Post by KEYSTONE07950 »

As Dean Vernon Wormer says to Flounder - OUT WITH IT!

We want the mega patch - OUT WITH IT!
I support the right to arm bears!
wodin

Post by wodin »

ORIGINAL: Mobius
ORIGINAL: wodin
Do the changes effect realism...mechanics...or are they mainly extra units\maps and campaigns\sceanrios etc?
Yes. As in when you come to the fork in the road. Take it.

I am not a believer in realism in CM so you'd have to ask someone who knows both games.

Well most who have played and ejoyed both games say PcK is a dumbed down version of CM...with CM Normandy out this year then this patch will have to be something for me to decide to buy this rather than CM Normandy...CM Shock Force has become a great game after a terrible start...just WW2 is more my bag...

Then again I may buy both as I need East Front action[;)]
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

Do the changes effect realism...mechanics...or are they mainly extra units\maps and campaigns\sceanrios etc?

I am not a believer in realism in CM so you'd have to ask someone who knows both games.

Well most who have played and ejoyed both games say PcK is a dumbed down version of CM...with CM Normandy out this year then this patch will have to be something for me to decide to buy this rather than CM Normandy...CM Shock Force has become a great game after a terrible start...just WW2 is more my bag...

Well, there are some of us that have played both, and prefer PCK. Though I'll be the first to admit, I was a late comer to CM, and it was my first 3D wargame AND I did enjoy it quite a lot. But after PCK was released, I haven't played CM at all.

And I actually don't find PCK 'dumbed down' at all. It's a different approach, where your focus is on Platoons rather than squads. You have squads of course, but in PCK you're better off if you think in terms of what you want your Platoons to accomplish. (of course, I'm not a very skilled player either!).

Hopefully their will be more information coming out soon on the patch and you'll get a better idea of what changes are in store.

Rick

wodin

Post by wodin »

I do prefer squads to platoons to be honest...CMBB is dated graphics wise and using only three men per squad. CM Normandy will fix this. I just wonder what the infantry changes are in the mega patch. I do have a feeling that this game could be perfect for my Combat Mission stye wego east front fix.
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

I do prefer squads to platoons to be honest...CMBB is dated graphics wise and using only three men per squad. CM Normandy will fix this. I just wonder what the infantry changes are in the mega patch. I do have a feeling that this game could be perfect for my Combat Mission stye wego east front fix.

PCK defaults to 5 I think, I use an option to only display 3 (for better performance). PCK is pretty modable - it was designed with community modders in mind I think, so you could probably add more, but you also probably need a more powerful rig to run it.

When I said the focus is on Platoons, it's because of the way orders are used in PC. You give your Plt HQ orders and the other squads in the platoon are limited in what they can do, based on those orders. You can make some adjustments halfway through the turn, but you cant change the base order until the order phase of the next turn. Turns are 80 sec. with a 40 sec orders turn, and a 40 sec reaction turn.

I would watch for the announcements on the patch, I'm sure there will be information coming out about what's included.

Thanks
Rick

junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

Don't think that this means 1:1 soldiers. No matter how many 3D soldiers you display, it is still abstracted as a squad with step losses. 1/3 first loss, 2/3 second loss, then dead.

PC does not count boots bullets or beans.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Prince of Eckmühl

Post by Prince of Eckmühl »

CM Normandy will fix this.

I don't want to get into a comparo of products from different developers, but the only games that I've seen handle a squad to my satisfaction were those belonging to the Close Combat series. It really does seem as though the focus switches from gameplay to eye-candy as soon as 3-D gets introduced, and the overarching concern becomes making the figures appear to be engaged in some sort of sane behavior.[:(]

BTW, I think that the Mega-Patch will bring a lot of interest to Panzer Command. As much as I enjoyed the scenarios, the fact remains that PCOWS and PCK were a little thin in the content department, at least when compared to the CMx1 titles. I believe that the work which Erik and the rest of you fine gentlemen have done in that regard will go a long way toward muting that crticicism.

Now where's the beef[&:] [;)]
Government is the opiate of the masses.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

One thing I'd like to avoid is pitting Panzer Command against Combat Mission. The fact is I've played a lot of CM in my time and really enjoyed it. I hope that CM players will find a welcoming community here and respect for the fact that CM is a great game.

With that said, we all feel that where we are going with Panzer Command is where a lot of folks hoped CM would go after CM1. Time will tell if we are right, we just ask that you all check back here, take a look at what we release and give us a fair shake.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Erik - did I read somewhere that Koios Works went "belly up"? If so, who's working on the code and patch?

I meant to add it's a real shame they did as their games (at least PC games) were great
Alba gu' brath
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

Keebler elves.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
wodin

Post by wodin »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

With that said, we all feel that where we are going with Panzer Command is where a lot of folks hoped CM would go after CM1. Time will tell if we are right, we just ask that you all check back here, take a look at what we release and give us a fair shake.

Regards,

- Erik

Thats all I needed to hear....thats exactly what I'd want the game to move towards being.
If it is as is described I have another game to buy...oh blimey...

I am also looking forward to CM Normandy but it's going to be a very restricted experience...no ss..no FJ...seems odd to have no FJ units...it does show alot of promise as CMSF is a good game now...just the setting....boring..

Anyway roll on the Mega Patch..

Judge I believe Eric and his gang took over PcK
MajFrankBurns

Post by MajFrankBurns »

Well I will buy the one with the better ai and ability to randomize campaigns as well as battles. I think the PCK series will do that way ahead of anything Battlefront puts out as they have gone mainstream high graphics low realism afaic. But, one thing that has to be fixed with the PCK series is the infantry unit/stand elimination representation. I cannot get used to this all or nothing graphics feature of PCK infantry especially after having played Tin Soldiers and individual units are removed as steps are reduced. I don't see why that can't be done for PCK series as well since it is patterned after minature gaming. Everything else I enjoy about the series but I can't enjoy playing it much because of the way infantry is eliminated in the game.
Stridor

Post by Stridor »

ORIGINAL: MajFrankBurns

Well I will buy the one with the better ai and ability to randomize campaigns as well as battles. I think the PCK series will do that way ahead of anything Battlefront puts out as they have gone mainstream high graphics low realism afaic. But, one thing that has to be fixed with the PCK series is the infantry unit/stand elimination representation. I cannot get used to this all or nothing graphics feature of PCK infantry especially after having played Tin Soldiers and individual units are removed as steps are reduced. I don't see why that can't be done for PCK series as well since it is patterned after minature gaming. Everything else I enjoy about the series but I can't enjoy playing it much because of the way infantry is eliminated in the game.

I would hope they fix that in the patch.
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

ORIGINAL: Stridor

Oh, what are the odds?
About the same as finding a Maus made tracks on the cheesecake in your refrigerator?
All your Tanks are Belong to us!
panzer
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Well, I've played both versions, including the patch version and I wouldn't say that PCK is a dumbed down version of CM any longer. The main areas that CM will still be more "realistic" is the infantry but that will be addressed as soon as this patch is finalized.

What PC will do considerably better is tank combat.

Graphics in PCK are tremendously better than in CM. PCK is much more mod friendly.

In short, I haven't played CM in more than 7 months and I've had played CM a little over the past 7 years. Some of you have even played my CM scenarios.

So, the wait was long and seems to draw out but the rewards are coming and as Mobius said they are HUGE! AND FREE!!!!

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

PCK is the same level of units. The units are squad sized. What is different is how you tell those units what to do and how.

There are infantry changes but not to the level of CM yet. That's coming too though so not to worry.

Good Hunting.

MR

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: Stridor

Oh, what are the odds?
About the same as finding a Maus made tracks on the cheesecake in your refrigerator?

Keep the door shut and those blasted mice can't get in your cheesecake.

Good Hunting.

MR

NefariousKoel

Post by NefariousKoel »

I've been getting a yearning to load up PzCK after a few months hiatus but I want to hit it fresh with the big patch.

So..

*CRACKS WHIP*

[:'(]
Txema

Post by Txema »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins POSTED: 4/22/2010

We're extremely close to a release candidate and that means we're also extremely close to the preview. We're doing some more testing this week, I would expect that next week we'll be ready to post some preview information and the road map ahead.

Erik, any news ???
pensfanvw

Post by pensfanvw »

[/quote]
Erik, any news ???

Ditto for me. Looking forward to more info on current status.

Al

Return to “Panzer Command: Kharkov”