impressions after 1.06?

Supremacy: Four Paths To Power is the ultimate test of survival for sci-fi, turn-based strategists.
themattcurtis

impressions after 1.06?

Post by themattcurtis »

Anyone?
"You men cheer when the battle is successful. When it isn't, you threaten hari-kari. You're acting like hysterical women."

Vice Admiral Ryunosuke Kusaka
jvgfanatic

RE: impressions after 1.06?

Post by jvgfanatic »

I can't really tell the differences because I only just purchased it. I'd post impressions but I've not had enough time with it to form any.

I love the fast paced play, kinda runs contrary to the slow move/fire animations though.

I remember reading that the unit types you can make depend on the planet. I didn't think it would bother me but my initial impression was "what the hell?" [edit: I think I will get used to this and hopefully it will bring about some fun strategies]

All in all I really like the game, it feels kinda sharewareish though. I am hoping (though I suspect it may be in vain) that there's some depth to be had to the game that I'm not seeing but even if it's just what I've seen then I'll be pretty happy with the purchase.

I can't speak to the AI yet as I've only played 3 games of it and didn't complete any of them. Good that you can pretty much save anywhere though and it runs in a window that has lots of sizing options. Very convenient for my play style, which is sporadic cause of all the chaos in my life at the moment :)
theswitch

Post by theswitch »

so far I'm very very very happy

- the ai has improved much but I need more free time to see HOW much, but I'm happy
- I think the music has changed a little, some added stuff here and there and it seems to work better as a dynamic kind of thing, at least I think its gotten better
- I still need to test the transistion from space to ground combat as sometimes it used to work and other times a crash, still need to see if its been fixed
- mabe I just forgot some things from before the patch but I think theres a few new static models of things laying around the ground maps
- [:)][:)][:)]
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

Hi,

I've only just bought the game yesterday, upgraded to 1.06 and have played a few games. I really like the look and feel of the game but the AI worries me. It seems all you need to do is build a few good ships at the start, wipe out his fleet and freighters (which is very easy if you keep your fleet together), occupy the four points around each of his planets, then build up your land units. Is there a way to make the AI more difficult or is that pretty much how all games proceed?

Land battles seem to proceed the same way as space battles. The AI seems to move sporadically while it can't attack, then it moves in piecemeal so a few tanks and artillery in siege mode can wreak havoc.

As I said, I really like the simple nature of the game and also like that a game can be played in a short amount of time. It is very easy to start playing and there is no micromanagement. I just hope the AI will throw in some surprises. It would be good if the AI could even be given a boost in resources to compensate for its lack of strategy.

The other problem I'm experiencing is intermittent crash to desktop entering or during land battles. The fact that the game doesn't have an autosave between turns means that I have lost quite a lot of time retracing ground after crashes.

A random map generator would also be a nice inclusion.

All in all, I think the game has charm and is enjoyable. It is one of those games that can be picked up and played at any time because it is so easy to learn. I'll definitely continue to play it despite the poor AI. It's the crashes that are the most annoying though.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

das123,

I just want to double-check - you are upgraded to v1.06 and it reports that version number in the game as well?

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

Hi Erik,

I bought the game then downloaded the patch. In the game splash screen it lists version 1.006.

I should mention that I have only played conquest games so far. After posting last night I played one of the larger maps. It took longer to strangle the AI planets but the game still eventually played out the same. The AI took one planet at the start, but then, even though it had opportunity, it didn't actually land troops on any other planets. It would move freighters next to empty planets but not transfer troops at the end of the turn. I was able to wipe out the freighters during my subsequent turn.

I didn't experience any in-game crashes during the game this time, but prior to the game starting, the game crashed during the playing of the Matrix branding movie. The movie was still playing but the screen only showed the desktop. I think the game still had control of the UI because I couldn't click on anything and the music from the movies kept playing. I had to Ctrl Alt Delete to quit the application. When I started it a second time there were no problems.
praetorblue

Post by praetorblue »

Hi all,

If you have not yet tried it, I strongly recommend playing Supremacy with a friend either via the Internet, a LAN, or in hotseat (i.e. on the same PC) mode. Some of the most enjoyable times I had while working on Supremacy were playing it with other developers in the office. While the AI is good (and even better thanks to the new patch), sometimes you need a human opponent to make you sweat.

Give it a try!

- Vance
Vance Vagell
Programmer
Black Hammer Game

Return to “Supremacy: Four Paths To Power”