What's the deal with this game?

Supremacy: Four Paths To Power is the ultimate test of survival for sci-fi, turn-based strategists.
rpommier

What's the deal with this game?

Post by rpommier »

Not very much traffic here. I'm considering purchasing the game, but there doesn't seem to be very much going on from the develope or with the community, is it that bad of a game? I've read a couple of reviews and it seems like the kind of game I'm looking for.

- Is there a patch in the works to fix the A.I.?
- Is there any way to make a backup CD from the digital download version? I don't need a CD but would like to have a backup on CD and I don't want to mess with Digital River should I decide to rebuild my PC,and forget to unregister the program.

Thanks,
Rod
JosephL

RE: What's the deal with this game?

Post by JosephL »

As I understand it there is an AI patch in the works and I believe you can backup the file you download to a CD (remember to write down the serial code as well!)

Recently released (and soon to be announced officially) was a Map Editor, so its not "silent" :-)

-Joe
Joseph Lieberman
praetorblue

Post by praetorblue »

I would also like to add that I check the forums daily, to address any issues/concerns/ideas people might have. So we're here, I think it will just take some time for the word of Supremacy to spread before we start seeing a lot of community activity -- it should help that we've received a bunch of reviews lately. If you have any questions, feel free to post in the forum. Hope you enjoy our game.

Regards,
Vance Vagell

Programmer
Supremacy: FPTP
Vance Vagell
Programmer
Black Hammer Game
TheHellPatrol

Post by TheHellPatrol »

ORIGINAL: rpommier
Not very much traffic here. I'm considering purchasing the game, but there doesn't seem to be very much going on from the develope or with the community, is it that bad of a game?
Thanks,
Rod
Your right, for a Matrix product it doesn't get the same high traffic volume that the others do and it has been a little quiet.
It is not a bad game, in fact there are some elements i really, really like compared to similar games of past. I can't speak for others but on my high-end system there is always a crash on every other(+/- 1) planet invasion. I never got any "real" answer and the patch only mentions "ai" so i have just let it go. For the price it's worth a gamble IMO.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

rpommier

Post by rpommier »

Thanks for the replies... I'm going to hold off for a bit to see if it gets patched. Every review consistantly mentions the weak A.I. yet the game touts a strong A.I. as a feature. Really no big deal seeing as that I'm terrible at most games and probably wouldn't notice it anyway :)

But with no demo, and very little buzz in the forums, it's a little too much of a risk to purchase in light of the reviews.
Lumberslug

Post by Lumberslug »

OK OK People PLEASE!!!!!

I purchased this game for two reasons
1. A Matrix product
2. I purchased witp and I love that game. (Even if I don't have enough time to play it)

Well my take on this product.........

Do you have all day????

This game in every way SUCKS

What you say? Why do I feel this way about the game? Lets go to the tape......err the information on the game from the Matrix web site.

1. The path to Supremacy is a puzzle with many pieces, from espionage

There is no espionage. There is no puzzle.

2. economic growth

This whole idea is a big joke. You take planets with as little as 1 basic infantry unit. Then you build factories (How? and with what?), then you produce ships (no ship yards required). No economic growth there. No concern for population, infrastructure, or any true economic growth. To get new technology all you have to do is take a science ship to a base. These bases can not be built you see because they start on the map for anyone to use. Where do they come from? Why are they there? I'm sure there is some back story for this but it relives Matrix of the burden of coming up with a technology tree. Then after you take the base you get to chose 1 of 16-20 different upgrades. This is right out of the 64K 1980's. Then of course these upgrades are not permanent. If the enemy takes this base from you all of your ships magically do not have that upgrade. What the *$%& ????

3. Play as one of four unique commanders, each with distinctive starships, ground units, abilities and strategies

This is a joke. All the ships (might be 1 per side that is unique) are the same for each side. Planets determine what ships can be built. Planets decide?? Again 64K

4. Tactical combat in space and on planetary surfaces

This is not correct. Ships move on the map and attack ships within range. This is not "Tactical" combat. Asteroids has more tactical combat than this does

5. Over 40 unique units, including suicide bombers, flamethrowers and massive mechs

Same ships, different names

6. Adaptive AI that will constantly challenge your strategies

The A.I. is in a word crap. Read the posts

7. Robust multiplayer allows players to find and challenge each other

You don't have to find anyone. There they are! On the map

8. Over 35 unique maps with map editor functionality supported

All the maps are tiny by SF standards and very basic. They make it sound like it is a MAP. Empy sace with a few planets and stars. You see everything. Some map

9. Customize the game to better suit your preferences

Well yes, you can change the volume for the music

10. 4 unique Commanding Officers provide increased replayability

These are childish at best. pre 64K (graphics aside)

11. Full in-game help system makes the game easy to learn but difficult to master

Yes this game needs help

In conclusion, this game is an embarrassment to the computer gamming world. It is childish and boring. If you want to play a SF turn based game I have a suggestion. If you purchased Masters of Orion III and hated it, dig it out (or purchase it again) load it up, play that game as long as you can stomach it, delete it from your computer, go to the ATM and withdraw $24.99 or 34.99, then go and give the money away or burn it. You will have more fun than you will get for this pile of dung
I purchased this game based on the Matrix game details and my purchase of witp. Trust me people, Matrix games has lost me as a customer. This game is a big rip off.
And remember......

"You must have tea and cake with the Vicar, or you die!"

Return to “Supremacy: Four Paths To Power”