AI comes through

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.
wdboyd

AI comes through

Post by wdboyd »

Salutations,

I was testing a mission between my Cartel and the Brotherhood of Iron forces tonight.

Quite frankly, getting the AI pilots to perform in a effecient manner can be problematic at times.

Well, the battle was going pretty much like all the previous test runs until four(4), count em, (4), two ship attack craft flights teamed up to take out the leader ship of the Brotherhood forces. It wasn't the closest ship.... it was the leader ship, mind you.

They blew him to smithereens. It was done, like I mentioned, with other ships around too. It was something to observe. Eight of my Rangers struck at almost the exact same time with dozens of missile streams pouring into the dastardly Pillager DD. I almost felt sorry for him. Almost. [:D]

Events like this make all the time and effort in attempting to perfect a scenario worth while. If only it could be duplicated, but then it wouldn't be as special would it.

I just wanted to share may testing "after action" report. Keep Em Flying. [;)]
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils!"
Dragonlead

RE: AI comes through

Post by Dragonlead »

Are you giving your cap ships individual names? If so, that is why they zeroed in on the leader. If you specify that ship in the Assault column when building a strike, that is who they go for. I have also seen where multiple cap ships with the same name (Alpha 1, Alpha 2, etc) will be ignored until Alpha 1 is destroyed. Then they go after the others.

V/R

USAF Ret.
wdboyd

Post by wdboyd »

ORIGINAL: Dragonlead

Are you giving your cap ships individual names? If so, that is why they zeroed in on the leader. If you specify that ship in the Assault column when building a strike, that is who they go for. I have also seen where multiple cap ships with the same name (Alpha 1, Alpha 2, etc) will be ignored until Alpha 1 is destroyed. Then they go after the others.

Yes, I usually do.

No, the ship wasn't specifically targeted in the mission. All of the Rangers were on Sweep missions. Their Nav points were also designated as Sweep. There were at least three other ships as close or closer that the DD.

I have noticed the AI tendenacy to zero in on the lead craft. I suppose that is because a Player would normally be in such a craft.

I suspect that my earlier attempt to get allied ships to report their evented messages to the leader ship had something to do with it. Still it was unexpected and fun to watch. [:'(]
Dragonlead

Post by Dragonlead »

Okay, based on that info, you are correct, it is amazing that they should do that. Way cool!

V/R
USAF Ret.
Tophat1815

Post by Tophat1815 »

Has the ai continued to perflorm in this manner?
wdboyd

Post by wdboyd »

Tophat,

I can't confirm that. This AI attack was observed while I was testing one of my static campaign missions. It was a very surprising sight to observe. That is why I decided to share it.

For those mission creators out there. If you want the AI to fly BOTH sides while you watch what happens you will need to do the followng.

ADD  -test  after your games .exe launch file. Here is mine as an example.

"C:\Matrix Games\Starshatter The Gathering Storm\Stars.exe" -test

Then launch the game. Enter the selected mission and watch the action.

The only donwside to this is that when any craft is destroyed it is regenerated somewhere in space. Still, one can get an idea how the mission will play out.

Return to “After Action Reports”