Windows 7 RC1 Install Info

Starshatter: The Gathering Storm extends the classic space sim by combining fighter and starship combat in a single dynamic campaign game.
acbennett3

Windows 7 RC1 Install Info

Post by acbennett3 »

After doing some research on the forum, I was able to install SS:TGS on both my wks and laptop running Windows 7 RC1 64 bit. I was also able to install the B5HTL and BSG:TNS mods from starshattermods. Here is a summary if anyone is interested (thanks to wdboyd and others):

1. Install base SS:TGS v5
2. Install 5.01 update
3. Skip 5.02 update and go to 5.03 beta
4. Right click the game shortcut or game executable, select properties, and then click the compatiability tab
5. Check the box to "Run as Administrator" and "Disable Visual Themes" and then click OK
6. To run the B5HTL mod I had to make a seperate shortcut of the game executable and then edit the command to include -filesys switch at the end. This is in the install instructions for the mod. Remember to also do the Compatiability settings per step 5.

The BSG:TNS mod seems to work fine off the normal game shortcut, but I had to use the manually made shortcut in step 6 to run the B5HTL mod. Otherwise I got random CTDs.

Hope this helps. BTW great game (revisiting it after a few years). I plan on getting a TrackIR soon (for this and other games), although my impression is it would only be useful for Fighter ops. Ship operations don't seem to need the look around capability (F3/right mouse is good enough) or even a joystick. And ship/fleet ops is the unique aspect of this game that sets it apart from other standard "Space Fighter" games.

acb3
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
Santayana
milkweg

RE: Windows 7 RC1 Install Info

Post by milkweg »

Those mods have no virtual cockpit mode. No virtual cockpit = no trackIR 

Return to “Starshatter: The Gathering Storm”