No longer for sale!

This 2005 re-release of the updated 2000 sci-fi classic puts the player in the role of building a space-faring civilization.
spaceman9599

Re: No longer for sale!

Post by spaceman9599 »

I am assuming that installing it in compatibility mode (e.g. install as (*earlier version of Win)) does not solve the problems.

Would it work if run in a virtual machine for the last win version it was bug free in?
Nayden

Re: No longer for sale!

Post by Nayden »

spaceman9599 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:11 pm I am assuming that installing it in compatibility mode (e.g. install as (*earlier version of Win)) does not solve the problems.

Would it work if run in a virtual machine for the last win version it was bug free in?
I could install it just fine on Windows 10 without any compatibility settings. The game runs great in 1080p with the DirectX wrapper GoG supplies with their old games. Had some resolution issues without that. With the 1.41 patch installed, I haven't encountered any bugs yet.

The only glitch is a red outline around the star names on the main map, but that can be fixed by disabling font smoothing in the Windows performance settings.

That makes all fonts outside the game look like crap though, so if you don't want to bother turning it on and off every time you play, it's better to just make a game-specific fix with the Windows Compatibility Administrator (can be downloaded with the Windows ADK) that adds the "IgnoreFontQuality" tag to it, which disables font smoothing for Reach for the Stars only.

Return to “Reach For The Stars”