Routers

This forum is for feedback on the online play beta patch, available through the Members' Club. All comments on the beta patch should be posted here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, JanSorensen

Davidovich Trotsky

Routers

Post by Davidovich Trotsky »

How can some one with a router host this game? It's next to impossible to connect to them, especially if they don't know their own ip address.

Will there be router support in future?
Daykeras

RE: Routers

Post by Daykeras »

You can do it.

www.whatismyip.com will tell you your ip.

Then you just use port forwarding in your router to route the default port, or whatever port you use, to your computer. I believe default is 2500.

Routers shouldn't be a problem.
JanSorensen

Post by JanSorensen »

The game uses 2501 as the default port. Please let us know if it works out for you or not.
Davidovich Trotsky

Routers don't work at all with the game, me and my friend both couldn't host it.

Might be able to play with other none router hosts but I don't know any.
Captain Cruft

Post by Captain Cruft »

You should be able to get any TCP/IP game to work with a router. It just needs to be set up correctly. Default is probably to just ignore/block all "non-standard" ports.
Davidovich Trotsky

ORIGINAL: Captain Cruft

You should be able to get any TCP/IP game to work with a router. It just needs to be set up correctly. Default is probably to just ignore/block all "non-standard" ports.

My Router works for every single game I got bar this one.

Halflife 2 - Works
World of Warcraft (when i played it) = worked
SWG = Worked
BC - Works
Mission Risk - Works.

It's nothing to do with my router set up. [;)]
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

It works fine through my router, so apart from the usual "check everything and check it again", I'm not sure what to advise.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Captain Cruft

Post by Captain Cruft »

Those games you mention are all client-only AFAIK. Presumably with GGWaW one PC has to act as the server. That's what is different.

I don't want to get into technicalities but those other games probably all use UDP too. I wouldn't be surprised if GGWaW uses TCP. Another possible difference.

You need to find out how to set the router up to allow a listening "TCP server" on port 2501. At least that's my guess.

--
The game engine itself will know nothing about routers. It will just deal with IP packets, either UDP or TCP. Therefore any router must translate these packets completely transparently.
Captain Cruft

Post by Captain Cruft »

Just took a step back.

Obviously you have to know what the public IP address of the router is. Not much hope without it ;)
Davidovich Trotsky

I know what my personal ip address is and what address I am on the lan, and I presume this is the main problem, but I don't know how to get it to work as a server, but client I got no problems on.
Daykeras

Post by Daykeras »

You have to open the port and give your internet Ip. I don't know how else to explain it... :(
Davidovich Trotsky

ORIGINAL: Daykeras

You have to open the port and give your internet Ip. I don't know how else to explain it... :(

It's already done...

Return to “Limited Public Beta Feedback”