PBEM Ladder: Procedure draft.

A Ladder is a means to track your success agaisnt a pool of opponents over time. You get points for each game you play, and the better you do, the more points you get! Can you climb the ladder to the TOP? How long can you stay there?

Moderators: Joel Billings, JanSorensen

JanSorensen

PBEM Ladder: Procedure draft.

Post by JanSorensen »

With this post I intend to document how I envision running the ladder. Comments and suggestions are most welcome.

First, we will ask for Matrix to make a new forum called PBEM Ladder and have one or two players made moderators for that forum.

Inside that forum there will be 4 sticky threads. The first three will be purely informational and therefore locked so only the moderators can post in them.

Thread 1: Rules and Procedures
It will basically be this post and the companion post about the point system.

It will also explain that the ladder is meant for rating WaW games that are played PBEM or TCP/IP by humans. No game including the AI will be allowed. The intention is for the ladder to rate games that are played using the 1940 scenario. House rules of various kinds including +supply, +rail cap or a full mod is allowed but should be noted when the game is reported.

Thread 2: Current standing
This will be just one post with the current score for everyone on the ladder.

Thread 3: History
This will contain one post per month the ladder has been operational. Each post will show the games finished during that month and the standing at the end of the month. This can hence be used to backtrack and fix any errors that may have been made if need be.

Thread 4: Report new games here
At the top of this thread there will be one post explaining how to report a new game as well as a list of the currently ongoing but not finished games.

It is then the intention that each player in a newly started game posts in this thread. Only when all players have posted is the game considered valid. This is needed in case someone goes MIA to determine there was ever an actual game in progress. Once all players in a particular game have posted their game is added to the list of ongoing games and their posts deleted. Posts will also be deleted after 10 days if not all players have posted.

Thread 4: Report finished games here
At the top of this thread there will be one post explaining how to report a finished game as well as a list of the already finished games during this month.

It is then the intention that each player in a finished game reports the result. Once all players have reported the result the game is recorded in the list of finished games and the scores are updated in thread 2. If not all players post about the game result it will still be accepted after 14 days of waiting. In that case the remaining players are considered to have given consent in absentia. This can be used to post a win by default if an opponent vanished. Only games that have played through a minimum of 4 turns will be considered legal for this.
lkendter

RE: PBEM Ladder: Procedure draft.

Post by lkendter »

While I probably won't play in the ladder (just barely beat the AI at normal), I will be able to offer help on ideas to run it.

I currently play in VitP and WaS ladders, along with A&AP and A&AR competition.

The first thing I see is that could cause a problem is below:
If not all players post about the game result it will still be accepted after 14 days of waiting.
14 days is to long a idle time frame. I would suggest 7 days.

I would also suggest a standard expected timeframe for turn around. AAMC expects 3 days, unless the opponent knows about delay due to vacations, etc.
JanSorensen

Post by JanSorensen »

Thanks for the input. You are likely correct that 14 days is too long. I hope though that it be rare that we have to use that option at all.

One comment from me in return. The ladder should (ideally) not only be for the experienced players but for everyone. I hope I have made a point system that promotes new players jumping into the ladder right away as there is no loss from doing so. Sure, you might lose some fights but you wont be losing points but rather gaining them. Infact, the Entry level rank means just that - that you are new to the game.

Thus I hope that all - experienced or new - will consider using the ladder.
lkendter

Post by lkendter »

ORIGINAL: JanSorensen

Thanks for the input. You are likely correct that 14 days is too long. I hope though that it be rare that we have to use that option at all.

Based on my PBEM experience with A&A type games, it will show up more then you expect. :(
JanSorensen

Post by JanSorensen »

Hope and expect isnt the same though :)

We shall see - I hope I am right but I expect you are.
toddtreadway

Post by toddtreadway »

Would it be possible to have a separate folder made by the moderators specifically for ladder games? That way, each game could have its own thread. I doubt there would be too much traffic, but some people might like to follow along on the games.

Also, would there be an automated updating system, where everything is done without the need for an intermediary? E.g., the German player goes to a site and selects the options that will be used as well as the opponents. An automated file is sent out by the server to all the players. The email would have a link to accept the game. Once all players have accepted the game it could get started. To report a win, the winner would report the winning player(s) and an email would be again sent out to verify the win. Pretty seamless I think. A final save game would of course be kept to resolve disputes.
JanSorensen

Post by JanSorensen »

Todd

I encourage you to read the initial post in this thread. I think it should answer the questions you ask. (yes to a forum, no to automating things)

Return to “GGWaW Ladder”