Monty vs Tyler PBEM AAR

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderators: Joel Billings, JanSorensen

kinetic

RE: Monty vs Tyler PBEM AAR

Post by kinetic »

Wallies Fall 42

The Med Fleet takes control of the Central Med. 2 DD's and 1 BB sink the Italian DD defending it. Libya is taken, and transports are moved to the Central Med and Sicily is taken and reinforced.

Gibralter is out of supply, but a fortress. It is guarded by 1 Ftr, 1 Mil, and 1 AA. However, it is too tempting to pass up, and 4 strats are sent from England (overflying Spain) to soften it up. The Lancasters suffer 2 Strats damaged, and damage nothing (although the "softening up" will help). The BEF in Spain (3 Inf) then advance on The Rock with covering fire from an offshore destroyer flotilla. Gib is taken, and the GE FTR retreats to Sardina.
An undergunned (A-10's) British Armored Corps moves to defend Spain.

30 Supplies are sent via Archangel, and 5 via Afgan, to Russia.

The USA slows research efforts, instead using the production to stock up on supplies. This will help US forces move into position next turn.

End of Turn Europe.

Attachments
Fall42Post.jpg
Fall42Post.jpg (197.38 KiB) Viewed 200 times
kinetic

Post by kinetic »

In looking at the above Screenshot, I think Germany can isolate the Russians in Poland, even in winter. Hopefully, Russia will be able to keep relieving this pocket, but if the pocket is crushed, Russia will loss a ton of momentum.

ALOT of pressure on Germany from England, and soon the US. Gib should be able to be held, and Italy is in grave danger. How fast can the US get troops to Europe... I don't think there are ANY being built, so 3-4 turns... not good news.

It will take Japan some extra time to get the SRA conquered, and repaired, but the Chinese resources are now available. However, the Wallies have slowly upgrading their CAG's, BB's, and CV's, and actually just christened 2 CV's and their CAG's.

Next turn, things will get even more FUN! ( I love this part of this game!)
RTDouglas

Post by RTDouglas »

"Kiev must be taken at all cost!" bellowed the Chancellor from behind his massive oak desk as an uncomfortable group of German officers and aids stood around him. In front of him the Fuhrer waved his arms widley at a map of the Eastern front. The situation looked grim even on the magnificently detailed map and yet the few officers in the room who had actually been to the Eastern front knew that the realities of the situation on the ground made the word "grim" seem very cheerful indeed.

"My Fuhrer," started General Erich von Manstein in a carefully planned, yet soft voice. "We may very well be able to retake Kiev and re-establish our supply link with Army Group North, however we will still be left with insufficient force to destroy the Soviet pocket in Eastern Poland."

Hitler looked on dryly, Manstein continued. "Soviet forces are far stronger than we have anticipated and even when we retake Kiev, the Soviets are very likely to cut off Army Group North again, possibly even in this very winter."

There was no hiding the Fuhrer's obvious anger and all in the room awaited the expected outburst and possible dismissal of General Manstein. The moment of akward silence lasted for only a few seconds however before General Heinze Guderian bravely stepped in and made his proposal. "My Fuhrer! I strongly suggest a fighting retreat by Army Group South towards Kiev, with the eventual aim of...."

"I will NOT abandon Leningrad!" fumed the man who had only 3 years ago launched the world into war.

"Sir, without supplies Leningrad cannot survive and Army Group North will be destroyed." retorted Guderian. "We have already lost Eastern Poland and Prussia to the Red Army and Berlin itself is in mortal danger. Our forces are few and stretched to the limit. We must pull what forces we can from the jaws of the Soviet Army and redeploy them for the defense of Germany herself!"

"We have a tiger by the tail in Poland my Fuhrer and we simply cannot hold on any longer or we shall lose all." Explained Manstein nodding at Guderian in thanks for the help.

"And just what in hell is supposed to stop the tiger from simply turning around and eating us?" replied Hitler almost drooling with rage.

To this the assorted Generals had no answer, for the knew the truth of the war. They had already been eaten and the tiger, or more appropriately the bear, simply hadn't quite digested them yet....
RTDouglas

Post by RTDouglas »

Germany Winter 1943

Eastern Front

In preparation for our assault on Kiev, one Bmr from Czechoslovakia strikes the Soviet defenders at Kiev, damaging 1 Arty unit there.

The main attack begins immediately afterward with 1 Bmr, 5 Panzer, 6 Inf and 3 Militia moving against the Soviet defenders in Kiev consisting of 2 Tanks, 3 Inf, 2 Militia and 2 Arty. Once again the casualties are heavy as the Wehrmacht suffers 3 panzer and 1 Inf damaged and 2 Militia destroyed. Soviet losses are 1 Tank and 2 Arty damaged with 1 Inf and 1 Militia destroyed. Kiev is taken and our supply link with Army Group North is restored, but at heavy cost.

1 panzer from Poland blitz's through Prussia into the Baltic States, both of which are unoccupied. (side note- for whatever reason I didn't realize that a blitzing panzer does NOT occupy the territory in blitzed through - Arrggghhh, I wouldn't have done that then)

1 Inf from Poland moves into Prussia and liberates the German province.

RTDouglas

Post by RTDouglas »

Germany Winter 1943

Western Front

"Now my Fuhrer, about the Western Front..." insert quiet sobbing here

We have one final chance to throw the English off the continent and to do so we MUST take Spain.

1 Tac Bmr, 2 Inf and 1 AA gun move into Spain to drive back the meager English forces defending it. The English have 1 Ftr and 1 Armour and tenaciously defend their new aquisition. While we manage to destroy the Ftr our forces simply cannot register a hit on the English Armour and we suffer 1 Tac Bmr and 1 Inf damaged. Our assault fails to dislodge the enemy and they now have a secure region from which to reinforce and move against France. This was a major blow in the west and the news was greeted with grim silence in Berlin.

In Germany a Uboat leaves base and damages an English transport in the North Sea, returning to base undamaged. A second Uboat attempts to slip by the Royal Navy off Norway en route to the Barents Sea, but is found and sunk by op-fire.

In Italy the brave submariners of another Uboat throw themselves against the British Fleet in the Central Med. They manage to damage a cruiser before they too are sent to the bottom.

All in all the situation in the European theater looks very grim, but I agree with Monty that this is indeed the funnest time of the game, especially for the axis I believe. I just wish I had been a bit more experienced before we started this game, so I could be putting up a really fun fight right now. But the lessons I have already learned have stuck with me in other games. In another game I am playing right now I reached 67FP and wasn't able to get any more, but MAN O MAN, what a glorious time I am having fighting the Allied hordes, and I still might hold out for victory... in that game, not this one eh.[:(]
RTDouglas

Post by RTDouglas »

Germany Winter 1943

Here is our general position at the end of the turn.

Attachments
montytyler1.jpg
montytyler1.jpg (175.42 KiB) Viewed 200 times
RTDouglas

Post by RTDouglas »

Japan Winter 1943

Word is that the United States will declare war this season, so despite the fact that we are woefully unprepared Japan declares war!

Another noob move... for some reason I thought US didn't enter until Spring 43 not Winter, so I hadn't quite moved all my forces in China to their jump off points.

Japan's three Subs start the war by damaging 3 US transports in the South Pacific Sea Zones 7,14 and 15 respectively.

1 Bmr along with 1 BB support strike the lone UK Inf in Malaya but fail to damage the target. I didnt have any units in Siam so I had to now assault by sea...

In follow up 1 Inf, 1 Arty and 1 Tac Bmr strike the softened up Inf in Malaya, yet are repulsed by the English again. 1 Japanese Inf damaged.

1 Inf from Liuchow attacks the UK militia in Rangoon and destroys the Militia, capturing the province.

1 Militia from Kunming occupies Mandalay.

1 Ftr from the Carolines attacks the UK transport in Celebres and damages it.

1 Tac Bmr from Palau damages UK transport in Arafura Sea.

1 Bmr from Palau damages UK Cruiser in Java Sea.

IJN Cruiser sinks remaining UK transport in Java Sea.

In a bizzare episode 1 Japanese Arty lands in Sumatra where there is no garrison and is promptly repulsed by villagers. Do not attack empty land areas with Arty I guess. Not to be detered, but still pissed, I waste even more transport capacity and send 1 Inf and 1 Arty to "relocate" the indiginous polulation. Sumatra taken.

IJN Cruiser engages US Cruiser and transport in Sulu Sea and both sides fail to do damage... grrrrrr. More supply is spent and a BB is sent in to finish the pesky US Cruiser and sends it to the bottom. The US transport retreats to Celebres Sea, where it is destroyed by another IJN Cruiser.

1 Bmr strikes UK Cruiser and Transport in Andaman Sea and fails to hit anything. I am starting to worry about the power of Banzai. Surprise attacks seem to not give much of an advantage at all in combat. Perhaps I waited too long with Japs to get surprise attack bonus?

1 Japanese Inf lands unopposed in Australia's Northern Territory.

1 Japanese Inf occupies Borneo.

IJN Cruiser sinks UK transport in South Coral Sea and continues on to the Great Australian Bight to begin the blockade Victoria, where several transports are docked.

1 Japanese Inf with CAG support strikes Java and destroy's UK Militia. Java occupied.

1 Japanese Inf attacks Luzon and kills the US Militia defending the territory. Luzon taken.

1 Japanese Inf occupies New Guinea.

Japanese BB damages UK Cruiser in Adaman Sea, forcing the UK transport to retreat to Bay of Bengal.

Japanese CAG sinks US transport in Sea Zone South Pacific 7.

I did what I could. Hopefully the Allies will be so focused on Germany that Japan will be able to recover from her half assed surprise attack.
RTDouglas

Post by RTDouglas »

Japan Winter 1943

Here is a shot of South East Asia at the end of my turn.

Attachments
montytyler0.jpg
montytyler0.jpg (158.06 KiB) Viewed 200 times
kinetic

Post by kinetic »

Russia Wn 43

Leningrad is lightly defended, and MUST be retaken! 1 Russian Infantry, supported by mobs of Russian concripts (6 Mil) attack Leningrad, which is held by 1 Mil and 1 Arty. The Germans abandon the fortifications to the waves of Russian militia, but not before damaging the Russian Inf, and destroying a Militia. The fortifications protect the german retreat, and there are no german loses.

STAVKA decides the best way to relieve Eastern Poland is through Belorus. (Russia) 2 Tanks, 7 Inf, and 3 arty are tasked with this, against (German) 4 Inf, 1 Arty, and 1 AA. Loses are high on both side. The Russians lose 5 Inf damaged, and one arty dst. The Germans lose 2 Inf dest, 1 dmgd, 1 arty dest, and 1 AA dest. This amounts to 7 vs. 9 PP's.

At this point Zhukov storms that RUMANIA WILL BE TAKEN! However, the planners at STAVKA make a tremendous case, by showing Zhukov the state of German supplies, units, and the fact that it is winter, and that the Russians only have a 60% chance of success. Zhukov is swayed, not wanting to set back the Russian's 43 offensive by taking a shattering loss.

Instead, Russian forces turn to the destruction of Army Group North, which is surronded in Veli Luki. First, the Baltic states is taken with 1 tank, 1 Inf, and 1 Mil vs. 1 german tank. The german tank is dmgd to no russian loses. The Veli Luki is attacked from several sides by (Russian) 4 tanks, 3 Inf, 3 Mil, 3 arty, and 1 AA, against 1 armor, 5 Inf, 1 Mil, 2 Arty, 1 Ftr, and 1 Bomber. Army Group North is MUCH tougher than expected, and Russian loses are enormous. 1 tank dmgd, 1 Inf dmgd, 2 Arty dest(!) and 1 dmgd to 1 Inf dmgd, 1 Mil dest, 1 art dmgd, 1 Ftr dmgd. 8 vs. 4 PP's!!!!

The Russians end their Wn 43 offensive by reinforcing the corridor to Eastern Poland, and moving there meager supplies to the front. Ruusian fighter-bombers are equiped with larger payload capacities (TAC GA=6).
kinetic

Post by kinetic »

China Wn 43.

Still no sign of Mao. One more Inf is built.
kinetic

Post by kinetic »

Wallies Wn 43.

With the entrance of the US into the war, the Royal Navy deams the Atlantic secure. The 2 subs in the Balitic, along with a CV TF (1 CV, 1 BB, and 2-3 DD's) are sent through the Med inroute to India. This should help put pressure from the West on the IJN.

A Ftr from Sicily and Gib attack the German Ftr in Sardina. The German ftr is dst to 1 RAF ftr dmgd.

Southern Italy is invaded by ANZAC forces of 1 Inf, 1 Arty vs 1 Mil. The Militia is easily destroyed, and Italy sues for peace.

The RAF decides to use it's assets against the AA build-up in France. Heavy loses are expected, but the AA units must be put out of commision. 2 Ftrs, 2 Strats, a TAC, and a BB ground strike 2 Inf, 1 Mil, 3 AA and 1 Ftr. The RAF is NOT up to the task of finding the German 88's, instead pounding the German Inf for no effect! Loses are staggering... 1 Ftr dmgd, 1 Strat dmgd, 1 TAC dmgd to one Ftr dmgd. I think this is 6-7 vs. 1 PP.. a huge win for the Axis!

Troops are scrapped together to defend Spain - the English and Canadian Airborne are all that is available.

2 Indian Ftr's attack the 1 Jap Betty in Mandalay, destroying it.

The USA declares war on the Axis.

2 CV's are moved off the coast of Hawaii, and a IJN sub is dmgd by CAG's in the NP 15.

There are reports of a lone IJN CV off the coast of Eastern Australia, and 3 DD's are sent out from Pearl to ambush it. The CV is found, it is sent back to port listing badly, dmgd, it's CAG dmgd (some crack AA fire), and it's supporting sub group dest. US loses are bearable, 1 DD damaged. The remaining 2 DD's take position off the coast of Australia, intent on more raiding.

6 Sub groups are moved to Midway.

2 CV TF's are moved through the Panama Canal in route to Pearl. Air and ground forces are deployed, and supplies are moved to the front. The Wallies supply situation is critical, and NO supplies can be sent to Russia!

Wallies CAG's get start using better torpedo doctrine (Torp = 4).

Alot of things look good for the Allies, but the lack of ground troops by the Wallies, and the lack of supplies by the Russians, concern me. I don't think I can press the Allies advantages over Germany nearly as much as I would like.
RTDouglas

Post by RTDouglas »

Germany Spring 1943

Our chance has finally arrived to save the brave men of Army Group North and the High Command wastes no time making it so.

8 Inf, 5 Panzer and 1 Arty strike at the Soviet defenders in East Poland. The Soviets have 1 Bmr, 3 Inf, 1 Militia, 1 Tank, 1 Arty and 2 AA guns. Our battle hardened soldiers win a valiant victory forcing the Soviets to retreat. German casualties were 2 Inf damaged and 1 Arty destroyed. The Soviets, surprised at the tenacity of the german soldiers suffer 1 Inf and 1 Tank damaged, while 1 Militia, 1 Arty and 2 AA guns are destroyed.

With some well placed rail repair and supply movement our relief is complete and the brave souls of Army Group North break out of Velikiye Luki and find themselves behind their own front line for the first time in over a year of fighting.

Some of the brave soldiers decide to fight their way back to Germany however and participate in an attack on the Baltic States. 1 Bmr, 2 inf and 1 Panzer from Velikiye Luki move against the Soviet defenders of 1 Inf, 1 Militia and 1 Tank. Losses are heavy as both sides suffer 1 Tank and 1 Inf damaged. The Russian Militia is destroyed however and the Baltic States are now back in the hands of Germany.

In the West, the Allies fail to reinforce Spain with any meaningful forces and so the High Command orders one last attempt to force the Allies from Iberia. 2 Inf and 2 AA guns from France move into Spain and engage the 1 Ftr and 1 Tank defending it. Both Allied units are damaged and forced to retreat, while German losses amount to 1 Inf damaged. Although the Allies still hold Gibraltar we are very pleased that we denied the Allies an immediate beachhead so close to France. Our Portuguese garrison is now relieved and falls back to Spain on defense.

Attachments
montytyler1.jpg
montytyler1.jpg (187.11 KiB) Viewed 202 times
RTDouglas

Post by RTDouglas »

Japan Spring 1943

China, although firmly controlled by Japan, has become a huge headache for the Emperor. Partisans are almost out of control and all is being done to eliminate the problem. In the West and South our armies march on as the US response has been slower than anticipated.

In a daring move Victoria is taken by the Japanese Army and the Australian government placed under arrest. 1 Inf from Java takes Victoria by sea landing.

1 bmr from Siam strikes a docked transport in Ceylon and damages it.

Singapore Falls!
1 Tac Bmr, 2 Inf, 1 Arty and 2 BB support shots strike the British forces in Malaya (1 inf). The British are surrounded and destroyed with no Japanese losses.

Sarawak, Western Australia, Bismark archipeligo and Papua also fall this Spring to the Japanese Army.

Here is the South after my turn...

Attachments
montytyleraustralia.jpg
montytyleraustralia.jpg (132.19 KiB) Viewed 202 times
RTDouglas

Post by RTDouglas »

And here is the North...

Supply is a major problem as I have had to decide whether to attack or repair. I have chosen attack but I desperately need to repair. US subs loom ever closer and a sizable US Pac Fleet is approaching as well. I have seen how quickly Japan can fall in this game and even though they had a "less than ideal" start, I am hoping I can put up adequate resistance until the end of the year at least.
Attachments
montytylerasia.jpg
montytylerasia.jpg (165.83 KiB) Viewed 202 times
kinetic

Post by kinetic »

Russia Sp 43

STAVKA is NOT content to let Army Group North slip out of their grasp. Even though supplies are extremely low, a major offesive is launched into East Poland, intent on the German army's destruction. 6 Armor, 3 Arty, 5 Inf, and 2 TAC engage 3 German Armor, and 6 Inf north of Lvov. In very heavy fighting, Army Group North is smashed. The Germans lose 1 Arm dmgd, 2 dest, 3 Inf dmgd and 2 dest. One lone infantry retreats towards Berlin. Russian loses are 3 Arm dmgd, 2 Inf dmgd, and 1 TAC dmgd (to Infantry ground fire no less).

What is left of Kiev (which is very little - it has been the scene of about 1 bloody battle EVERY turn) is retaken by forces in Kharkov. Reinforcements are moved up.

Russia must take a turn to limit research and builds, in order to build supply. Surely, Germany MUST be facing a manpower crunch. The battles on the Eastern Front have been bloody in the extreme.
kinetic

Post by kinetic »

China Spring 43

Mao returns! Mao declares his return has demoralized the Japanese forces nearby to retreat to Lanchow! 1 AA is built, and plans are made for the liberation of China.
kinetic

Post by kinetic »

Wallies Spring 43

Churchill orders his commanders to keep the pressure on the German West and Southern Fronts. However, men are in short supply. An Arty is dispatched to The Rock for defense, and a few Inf divisions are sent to defend Southern Italy.

The only attack options the Englsih have are through the air. The most massive bombardment to date is undertaken in West France. 3 Ftr, 3 TAC, 4 Strat, and a supporting BB ground strike 2 Ftr, 2 Inf, 1 Mil, 1Arty, and 2 AA. The RAF loses 2 Ftr's dmgd, and 1 TAC dmgd. THIS attack goes much better... the bombers find the elusive AA emplacements, damaging both. The Germans also lose 1 Ftr dmg, 1 dest, 1 Mil dest, and 1 Arty dmgd.

2 CAG's and a BB attack 4 Militia in the Netherlands, destroying 2.

2 Subs and a CV TF continue towards India, and will be in position to pressure Japan's southern sea lanes in the summer.

In the Pacific, the loss of Victoria is a major blow. It was planned to use supplies from here to supply the 2 DD's off the East coast of Australia. This will most likely strand a Japanese Inf, and maybe even the escorting DD. But it will also strand the 2 DD's for the duration of the war. No southern raiders.

The American submarine fleets sortie from Midway. 6 fleets take positions throughout the South China and Phillipine Seas. Overall, they destroy 2 transports, and damage 4 more, with no loses.

The American fleet concentrates at Pearl (sinking a Jap sub in route) and Midway. Supplies and units are moved to England and Pearl, and 15 supplies are spared for shipment to Russia.

Research in the USA is paying off - TAC GA=6, FTR AA=7 and EV=6, CV EV=5, BB EV=4, and Sub Torp=4.

RTDouglas

Post by RTDouglas »

Germany Summer 1943

The German High Command breaths a sigh of relief as the Soviet Spring offensive is focused on East Poland. Although losing East Poland is not welcome news, it was far more preferable than if the Soviets had struck Rumania. The capability of the Wehrmacht to conduct offensive operations has been severely reduced and only two combat missions were performed this Summer.

1 Bomber from Rumania was ordered to strike the Soviet troops in East Poland. 1 Arty of the enemies was damaged. One less Arty hitting us next season.

1 U-Boat makes a last one-way sortie to the Mid Atlantic in search of some transports. We find some but are unable to damage any.

Attachments
montytyler1.jpg
montytyler1.jpg (190.71 KiB) Viewed 199 times
RTDouglas

Post by RTDouglas »

Japan Summer 1943

Chaos throughout the Greater East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere as US Submarines run unchallenged and undamagable to our forces. We make several strikes at US subs but we are only able to damage 2, while having several of our cruisers damaged in the process. Supply and troops are moved into position and we will do what we can to defend against the submarine menace.

Queensland is taken in an act of defiance right before all Japanese forces are removed from Australia before they are stranded. We have attempted to consolidate our Navy close to home waters but I do not think it will have much effect.

Attachments
montytyler2.jpg
montytyler2.jpg (154.46 KiB) Viewed 199 times
RTDouglas

Post by RTDouglas »

Overview

Nothing about our game in particular brings this on, but I have noticed in several other games I have played, as both Axis and Allies that Submarines are extremely powerful. I wonder if the issue of subs has to be addressed at all. I should have level 2 sub attack next turn for my cruisers, but even that will be insufficient. In one game as Allies I had 16 subs ready to go vs Japan and all were teched up nicely. This took little effort really on the part of the allies and they simply destroyed Japan. I have tried to address this problem with Japan but it took almost all my resources and focus to do so. I haven't yet explored enough counters to make a call that subs are "broken" but the dramatic change of techs does seem to be an issue. I suppose this cannot be easily avoided with a six-sided dice system, but I wonder....

Anyhoo just some random thoughts.... back to you Monty you 'ol bastard! [;)]

Tyler

Return to “After Action Reports”