I am soooo bad at this

Gary Grigsby's World At War gives you the chance to really run a world war. History is yours to write and things may turn out differently. The Western Allies may be conquered by Germany, or Japan may defeat China. With you at the controls, leading the fates of nations and alliances. Take command in this dynamic turn-based game and test strategies that long-past generals and world leaders could only dream of. Now anything is possible in this new strategic offering from Matrix Games and 2 by 3 Games.

Moderators: Joel Billings, JanSorensen

JudgeDredd

I am soooo bad at this

Post by JudgeDredd »

Started a campaign as Germany on easy and has my ass kicked by 44!

Severely ran out of industry and men...Russia was a big problem....loads of manpower...a big red steam roller.

I had to actually take my troops from Africa to try and stem the flow...too late by then. Allies landed through Spain (I inadvertantly DoW on Spain and took it in two seasons...but I got suckered into Gibraltar and lost a shed load of troops, air and armour trying to take it! :-( Stuck the blinkers on and focused on Gibraltar - "They will not stop me from taking it"....they did! And I completely ignored the buildup of forces on UK...

Ran out of supplies...ran out of men...ran out of research points...ran out of industry points!!

I am very, very bad at this game. Maybe that's why I don't like it! [;)]

Must read the manual!
Alba gu' brath
rjh1971

RE: I am soooo bad at this

Post by rjh1971 »

Hey don't get discouraged. [:-]

If you like the game you will get better with a bit of practice, reading the manual is a must, and then you'll find that beating the AI is no big deal, other thing is if you don't like the game as it is, then there's nothing it can be done, but it is really a great strategy game, specially when you play against someone else.
GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI
Rocko911

Post by Rocko911 »

He is right play some more and you will get a handle on it. Tonight I finished off the Allies and played only as Japan, I nailed the USA via ALaska

Attachments
JapsHitUSA.jpg
JapsHitUSA.jpg (146.09 KiB) Viewed 245 times
Rocko911

Post by Rocko911 »

JudgeDredd , Also forgot , play with supplies off for awhile to get the hang of it.
PanzerKampfwagen

Post by PanzerKampfwagen »

Don't worry. You'll soon find out how to turn Russia's manpower against them. Simply make sure that you, as the Germans, have better units, and as a result, per the same striking power, you will have greater maneuverability. Then, all you have to do is "hit 'em where they ain't", or at least where there's not as many of them. You can then blow their rail lines, encircle their men with panzers, and bomb the living daylights out of them. It won't be long before Russia crumples under a well-executed German attack, especially if the [8|] SMART [8|] computer AI is playing Russia. I've flattened Russia time and again, almost to the point where it's a routine thing for me.
Majere

Post by Majere »

My number 1 rule to make sure I can sustain attacks was to make sure at the start of each turn, I repair all my factories and rails and resources BEFORE I launch an attack. If after doing this, you do not have enough supplies to attack, simply fortify your position and attack next turn. NEVER deplete all your resources and supply for a huge attack which normally leaves you with very little supply next turn, damaged areas you can not repair, and no ability to sustain a forced attack. 

Better to attack 5 turns in a row with less men, then to attack 2 turns in a huge attack, then have to "rest" 3 turns to regroup supplies, men and resources.

Same goes with production. You will be tempted to build EVERYTHING you can each turn. You will find this is going to be a problem as soon as a huge battle drops tons of repairs into your production. Better to sqeeze them out little and steady.

As Germany I like to limit my build to 5 or 6 new units each turn. This normally gives me many supplies\resources left over, enough to mass build something if i should need it right away, and lets me handle any repairs that get tossed into production as well.

My last self imposed rule, Never fix anything you are not sure you can hold onto. Nothing stinks worse then repairing everything and having it taken back next turn. Wasted resources.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's World at War”