Battleground Europe Info

Battleground Europe is the first volume in the Virtual Battlefield Series and features the armies, vehicles, weapons and equipment found on the battlefields of Western Europe 1939-1942.. Report for duty to the first-person, online action game where players choose to fight alongside and against thousands of other players on the battlefields of Western Europe.
Erik Rutins

Battleground Europe Info

Post by Erik Rutins »

For the latest game information, check out our game page and the official site linked below.

Battleground Europe Game Page

Battleground Europe Official Site

We expect boxed copies to be available by the end of the week of December 25th. The download version, at US $19.99, includes a one month activation key which normally costs US $19.99 on its own. In addition, if you register your purchase in our Members' Club, you get access to the "goodies" included on the game CD for the European retail release. Most importantly, this includes a full 150 page PDF manual, combat equipment guide and various fun items such as wallpapers, comics, etc.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
MartNick

RE: Battleground Europe Info

Post by MartNick »

Do you have to pay a monthly sub to continue playing this game after 1 month? If so what's the cost?
Jim D Burns

Post by Jim D Burns »

ORIGINAL: MartNick

Do you have to pay a monthly sub to continue playing this game after 1 month? If so what's the cost?

Yes it's month to month. Cost varies by the plan you sign up for $15 a month is highest price I think but if you pre-pay multiple months at a time it's less than $10 a month. I've been playing for 2+ years, well worth it in my book, I recommend you try it out free first and see if you like it.

Jim
munited18

Post by munited18 »

Well, I was a player back in 2001 and 2002, but was disappointed in the internet connection. I now have DSL will this help? Also, what is Teamspeak? Is it free? Thanks for any info! I really love the concept of this game and would like to become involved again if things are better now 3 years later..
You are what you do, when it counts.
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

So I finally decided to buy this...only took me three years to make up my mind!

One thing though I getting a really bad kB/sec anyone else have this bother?
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

Are you talking about FPS (frames per second) or your Internet bandwidth? If it's the former, what are your system specs? If it's the latter then it might be your ISP.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

No I meant Internet Bandwidth. I finally got it downloaded last night.

It does now freeze however when I attemp to start the game. The "playgate auto-upgrade utility" is the cause. I made a thread about over at their forums but its been mostly ignored from what I can tell. Tried to download the patch manually from the official site, get a timed out messege. Try to download the "goodies" off of the members area. Get a timed out messege. I was thinking that it could have something to do with my connection but I've been able to download around 5 big files this morning (mostly demo's etc) all from different sites and they worked perfectly.

I'm now out of idea's. Guess the thing to do now Is wait and see If the problem fixes itself.
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

That's a shame. Hopefully someone will reply to your post over there. Seems like most of their support comes from players.

Edit - How about Matrix mirroring the patches for registered users?
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

Qwerty - I was just able to get to the ftp site as well as the installer site so they are up. If you are using Internet Explorer go to Tools - Internet Options - Advanced and click on Restore Defaults. I've seen that correct problems with people who can't get to a site when I can.

WitE alpha/beta tester
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

I've been using Firefox, but changed over to IE to give it shot with no success. Emailed the tech support last night when I couldn't get it working got a reply "Contact your ISP" was basically what I got sent back to me. Phoned my ISP (Blueyonder) explained the situation "Must be their website". I'm now totally out of Idea's.

One thing though when you were gaining access to their site through the FTP did you enter a UserName and password. This is what I did but it didn't work, tried it without the Username and Password still didn't work.

I appreciate the help Elmo. I'm going to give a couple days at least to see If my connection may have a temp fault. If nothing happens then I guess I just have to cancel my subscribition.
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

No login or password required for the ftp site. Pretty sure it's annonymous.

Click here:

ftp://downloads.wwiionline.com/

You should get a list of files. Double click a file and it should give you the option to save it or run it. Depending on how big a file your ISP will allow you to accept via email I can download the file you need and email it to you.

WitE alpha/beta tester
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

I feel like such an idiot! [:o]

Firewall...

Turned it off, click the Icon and the patch starts downloading. All this talk of cancelling my subscribitions and what not and all it takes is a simple mouse click

Thanks for the help Elmo. [:)]
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

See you at the front! [8D]

WitE alpha/beta tester
Veldor

Post by Veldor »

ORIGINAL: munited18

Well, I was a player back in 2001 and 2002, but was disappointed in the internet connection.

There is a funny thing about this game. With most MMPORG's it seems like players are just never happy. Years later they still b!tch about the same problems, still ask for the same additions etc. Most of the forums are filled with unhappy players and are some of the most depressing forums to ever visit. They're also generally littered with "Why I decided to finally quit" threads and the like.

I've read a lot of player comments on this game and expected your statement to just end at "Well, I was a player back in 2001 and 2002, but was disappointed." It seemed the game had, like any MMPORG, quite a few issues back then.

But it seems like many feel that the game has now delivered on everything it was ever suppose to be and more. And that the complaints have shifted and do not in fact come from the experienced players but rather the newbs who don't know enough yet.

AND EVEN THOSE complaints actually sound encouraging to me. "Its too hard" etc. Seems its not just a cheapy FPS like the "kiddies" are use to. There is actually some complexity involved with the controls and maneuvering about etc. I've heard death also comes much quicker and overall realism is preserved above all else.

I actually looked for a free trial just before Matrix announced they'd be publishing the new version but was unable to find one. Is there any kind of current free trial?

The only complaint about the game that seems to have some validity is that the highest ranking positions (and thus the strategic play) tends to go to those who don't deserve it (kiddies who play days on end, clans with too much control, whatever). Though no doubt you always have those that complain about what someone else has in an MMPORG that they don't.

And a visit to the website where they show the current progress of the invasion etc on a large map (nearly realtime) is pretty cool.

The whole game is so far evolved from its beginnings in a strange odd way it might actually be the most realistic wargame ever made. Almost like a massive WW2 re-enactment done online, but in a way that can achieve alternative outcomes. Either way pretty cool. I'd love to try it.
Also, what is Teamspeak? Is it free?
The standard in free VoIP (Voice over IP) for online games. It's free.

http://www.goteamspeak.com/index.php?page=downloads

elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

ORIGINAL: Veldor

...I actually looked for a free trial just before Matrix announced they'd be publishing the new version but was unable to find one. Is there any kind of current free trial?...

CRS issued free trial keys to a bunch of registered players to hand out to their friends or whoever wanted one. I was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time on the forums and got one. People are still asking for them through the forums but I don't know if anyone is having any luck.

WitE alpha/beta tester
munited18

Post by munited18 »

I have now played 2 nights in a row, thanks to the kindness of my wife of course, and I love what has been done to the game. To clarify my earlier comment, I loved the game back in 2002, but I had dial up and it was unable to handle the needs of the game. My computer still struggles in some areas, but it has been great playing again! The game is difficult, but worth it. I have joined the 16th Infantry division and those guys are great. They have helped me out and with 250+ members there are always guys I can team up with online. THey have a website at www.16ID.com if anyone is interested.
For those of you that are sitting on the fence, I would just say that if you have an older computer it may not be to fun for you. However, if you have a computer that is in pretty decent shape then I would suggest you give it a shot!
Just my 2 cents..[:)]
You are what you do, when it counts.
Zakhal

Post by Zakhal »

My computer still struggles in some areas, but it has been great playing again!

For those of you that are sitting on the fence, I would just say that if you have an older computer it may not be to fun for you. However, if you have a computer that is in pretty decent shape then I would suggest you give it a shot!
Just my 2 cents..[:)]

CRS hired a 3D guru 6 months ago and he has been working on the graphics engine. Currently it doesnt take full advantige of graphics cards (lots of stuff is calculated on the processor instead) but once that is fixed we could see FPS improvements up to 50%.
"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke
hardcase

Post by hardcase »

Make ww2.exe NT compatible to help with loading stutters. Toggle the Y key twice to turn off the Minimap, it is a FPS drain. Page Up Down changes the rifle sights range settings. Post in the Windows/Mac Help Forum for any FPS Comp Settings info
Tom Hunter

Post by Tom Hunter »

I have played off an on since release.

At initial release the game was amazingly buggy but that has changed.

It is doubtful that the game will ever be huge because, like war, it is brutal. In this game if your not good your dead. Over and over again. Lots of people never get past the leave the base and die.

But I love that, and really enjoy playing with a bunch of professional murderers.
MacDR50

Post by MacDR50 »

I have played since 2001. I have tried other games and for awhile my game squad used CoD as a combat excerciser. I have never heard of any other online game which gives the player so much variety and unique action. Matrix is sponsoring a free trial this weekend. Give it a try if you want realistic action. The game is complicated but every player will help. Come to the 4Th Brigade and join in the fun. BTW we have a lot of ANZACS and they tend to use very few words to make a point.
La a'Bhlair s'math na Cairdean
(Friends are good on the day of battle)

Return to “Battleground Europe: WWII Online”