H2H online play (arcade mode)

Anything that comes to mind that you would like to see in future versions of Maximum-Football.

Moderator: David Winter

CFL_FAN_7

H2H online play (arcade mode)

Post by CFL_FAN_7 »

-H2H online play (arcade mode)

- It's boring always playing the computer in any sports games.

CFL rules!!!
Brockleigh

RE: READ THIS

Post by Brockleigh »

Not happening anytime soon. The game is well along it's development path, but there are still a bunch of issues to resolve first before a huge undertaking that H2H would require can be considered.

You've mentioned this before in the past, and plenty of folks made mention of this in the 'poll' that was taken about a year ago, so it's on the radar.

By the way, have you purchased the game yet?
It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta gum.

CFL_FAN_7

Post by CFL_FAN_7 »

still has alot of issues (i havent been on as much as i used to) like what?
CFL rules!!!
Marauders

Post by Marauders »

- H2H online play (arcade mode)

- It's boring always playing the computer in any sports games.

I often play Maximum-Football with my son and my friends side by side at the same computer.

Are you a hermit? [;)]

David Winter

Post by David Winter »

Having online game play is on the to do list. I feel strongly that the game simply will not grow to its potential without the ability to play head to head online.

However I'm afraid it's not going to happen this year. Online game play is an immense undertaking and my attention needs to be focused on other areas.

David 
"They're not dolls. They're action figures. Valuable Action figures!"
JayT

H2H Play

Post by JayT »

First of all thanx David for the latest 2.0 update- I just downloaded and played and it is an improvement!

The look is cool but I must be honest: Football Pro '98 is still the game for me. We are in our 9th season playing head-to-head online in our league, the WFFL and until you can make MaxFB playable online H2H we're sticking with the ol' standard FBPro'98 [:D]

Cheers,

Jay
"Give Us This Day Our Daily Football Pro"
WFFL: http://www.webfreaksfootballleague.com/
garysorrell

RE: H2H Play

Post by garysorrell »

Im not someone who would likely play H2H, however, I would vote for it as a feature over things I would use more. Because, I want MaxFB to be what FBpro was. And for me it already is, and more. But I know that there are a lot of players who need the H2H like Jay and the WFFL. And I honestly think there are a lot of people out there that would even jump from 'other' PC football games to Max because of an online component plus the customization.

Go Buckets!!
Birddogg

Post by Birddogg »

yup ive gotta say h2h whud give greatest return in new users no dout...

i gotta feel there will actually be a big swing of new users with an abilty to play coach mode online more so than any other new feature.
adiing online mode will also add GM and owner mode etc into the game trades etc in a way! well at least for the ones that wanted to coach online.
mudrick

Post by mudrick »

H2H cannot be considered a feature like all of the other requests.  H2H is a draw for many gamers.  It is in every game.

As far as polls go, if you're going to take a poll surveying people who already like the game without h2h, then of course the results will sway to the "I don't care" category.  Try that same poll on a game like Quake and see what you get.  Or on any game that already has H2H.  I think this game, as is, with it's flaws, would be 100% better than Fbpro if it had h2h.

Anyway.  How huge of an undertaking would a simple IP connection be?  No arcade mode.  Just coaching.  I'm asking because I seriously don't know.  I think I've already been told it was very hard.  But i'm not sure if that included arcade mode or not.
Marauders

Post by Marauders »

Head to Head online play is much more than a simple IP connection.  The game would need to have game code rewritten and everything in the game would need constant checks to make sure the game on both sides is running congruently.

David has stated that he would like to make Head to Head online play a primary feature of Maximum Football 3 (or whatever it will be called), but understand that it is no small undertaking to do this for a 3D game.

David Winter

Post by David Winter »

H2H is more than just setting up an IP connection. That part is the least of the challenges. The only difference in the on-field game play between coaching mode and arcade mode is that in arcade mode one of the players doesn't pay attention to the AI and only responds to the controller. Beyond that, they're exactly the same routines and processes. So making the game work for H2H arcade and H2H coaching is, for all practical purposes, the same amount of work.

The challenges go beyond just setting up a connection and with all of todays emense combinations of firewalls, routers, ISP's and the billion things trying to hog up bandwidth going in and out of a computer, even just that can be a challenge.

Adding Online game play is a very high priority for version 3.0. I simply can not make the game grow in the direction I need it to without online play. It will be a considerable undertaking however.

And I'll let everyone know up front, you will need a broadband connection to play. Broadband will be a requirement.
Brodie

Post by Brodie »

I would have to agree with who ever stated it before online would bring in new users for the game.The FP98 game has been around for ever time for a new one.I think it might bring back those that left FPS98 because it got tiring after so many years.
mudrick

Post by mudrick »

I agree with you Brodie, i'm one of them.  Everybody always puts Fbpro up on this pedistal.  But Fbpro has serious issues.  Max football right now is a better game by far.
Big Daddy Swole

Post by Big Daddy Swole »

David, have you ever thought about using "Kali" to minimize the extra coding issues inherent in adding H2H plat to Max Football? Not sure if this has ever been mentioned before, my apologies if it already has been discussed.
David Winter

Post by David Winter »

Hi.

Thanks, yes Kali has been mentioned a few times. For many reasons, it's simply not a viable solution.

thanks
David
JayT

Post by JayT »

So H2H play WILL be included in the next version?
garysorrell

Post by garysorrell »

There isnt a next version, unfortunately...this is it.
JayT

Post by JayT »

Well that sucks [:(]

too bad - but hey we're still having fun in the WFFL playing FBPro '98 in H2H mode [:D]

http://www.webfreaksfootballleague.com/

Cheers,

Jay
garysorrell

Post by garysorrell »

Yes...we are having fun, at my expense [:D]
JayT

Post by JayT »

ORIGINAL: Marauders

Just to add a note here, if more people had purchased Maximum Football and didn't wait until it was everything they wanted before puting some money down, this could have been a feature in a new version down the road.

FBPro and Madden are great for what they are, but a lot more could have been done here with more support.

I don't know why I am posting this to this forum, as most of the community has purchased the game, but there really needed to be more visability and more support to expect a game of this type to make it big.

I think that is a very circular argument... had MaxFB actually listened to what the fans wanted and added H2H play then the game would have gotten far more support than it did. The PC football gaming public is simply going to wait for a good product with features they want before putting their hard-earned $ down. MaxFB failed to give the fans what they wanted so it had no possibilty of making it big.

Return to “Suggestions / Wishlist”