madden 08 playbooks to reference

Questions, comments, suggestions regarding the use of the PDS to create and modify plays and formations for Maximum-Football

Moderator: David Winter

micvik

madden 08 playbooks to reference

Post by micvik »

hack153

RE: madden 08 playbooks to reference

Post by hack153 »

that's a good one.
UPFL is in the off season...
United Premier Football League
Marauders

Post by Marauders »

That is a good website to look at Madden plays.

It's too bad that the guys that made the Madden playbooks don't know as much about football as they think they do. The play nomenclature changes from playbook to playbook and from season to season.

It looks like the 2009 playbooks have most single back formations renamed as Ace formations even though most NFL playbooks specifically use the Ace as a two tight end formation. Ah, but some teams call the same plays Deuce formations. Considering that the Deuce usually means that the two tight ends are on the same side in a wing look, this is strange to see. They can't make up their minds what dives, slants, blasts, power, or lead plays are to be called either.

I know, they have to keep it simple for the gamers, but the playbook consistency is not as refined as it should be for an NFL licensed game.
Brockleigh

Post by Brockleigh »

Different guys making the plays, different terminology. Just because the same developer is making the game from year to year, doesn't mean that the same personnel is handling playbook development.

Depending on who you talk to, the same pattern can be called a 'Go', a 'Fly' or a 'Streak'. One guy will call a pattern a 'Flag' route and another guy a 'Corner'. 'Slam' and 'Dive' are also virtually interchangeable terms. If I was brought in to a company to replace whoever was making the plays, I, too, would probably change a number of existing terms to make it easier for my own identification while working.
It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta gum.

Marauders

Post by Marauders »

I understand, but it isn't even the same within the one year's release.  One playbook calls a formation the Ace and another calls the same formation the Deuce.  Another one changes out the player positions, but the name is the same.

With the use of the Ace interchanged with the Single Back formation, there shouldn't be a problem, but the Madden 2009 playbooks already designate the Single Back as the formation, so the Ace becomes the package.  The Ace, used as a package, most often makes reference to the H-back package with either two tight ends or a big full back playing up.  Even if they decided that they wouldn't use that nomenclature, they don't even use the same terms from playbook to playbook of the same release and sometimes within the playbook.

I see some new playbooks that call the single back formation the Ace on all counts.  I see that in some of the playbooks created here.  There is really nothing wrong with that except if the nomenclature changes from playbook to playbook.  That is one of the reasons I lobbied hard for updated playbooks for 2.0 and 2.2 and wanted the base tools available to keep all playbooks on the same page.

As you have stated, Go, Fly, Streak, and even Up routes are used almost interchangeably, as are Drag, In, and Dig routes.  I actually don't treat them all the same, but most coaches do.  My point is that the Madden playbooks use a lot of the terms, but they are not applied consistantly.

Return to “Play Development System (PDS)”