Problems with roster building after league reset

This forum is for feedback on the public beta updates. This is not for feedback on official updates. All reports based on a public beta version should go here.

Moderator: David Winter

fredirat

Problems with roster building after league reset

Post by fredirat »

These comments apply to a 32 team NFL style league (so may be peculiar to that configuration).
Roster size 45 plus 5 inactive.
Mostly these are one-off issues which don't affect game play once you've worked round them (although the work rounds can be quite time consuming)

Problem 1:
If the league is set to have no draft, MF auto generates the rosters. However, some teams do not have full rosters (ranging from 41/45 to 2/45 in one case). Not sure of the exact number of teams this affected as I forgot to save a copy of the league at that point, but think there were 4 or 5. Also, the auto generation assigned 2 kickers but no punters to every team in the league.

Problem 2:
I then reset the league and started with a 35 round draft (this seems to be the maximum, even though rosters can carry 50 - it ought to be possible to draft at least this many, preferably more as some players may improve more than others in training camp). After the end of the draft, the game forced an auto generation for the remaining roster slots (fair enough) but instead of assigning 10 - 15 players to each team, assigned an additional 45. So all the teams entered training camp with 80 players. These were then correctly reduced to 45 active & 5 inactive after training camp by computer owned teams (bit of a pain deciding which 30 players to cut for the human owned teams, but such is life[;)])

Problem 3:
After training camp, computer owned teams had their depth charts in reverse order, so the starters were all the worst players in each position. However, where inactive players existed in a position, this was always a worse player than any of the active ones (correct). I found that if I then adjusted the players position in the depth chart, auto fill worked fine and the computer owned teams didn't reorder for a game (so once its adjusted, it appears I don't have to do it again). I also noticed an in-game problem apparently related to this for a human owned team - QB got injured and, instead of automatically subbing with the player listed 2nd in the depth chart, put in the 3rd choice guy instead. This seems to be related more to the reverse ordering issue rather than the problem of subbing all the skill players reported elsewhere.

Problem 4:
More of a warning to other users rather than a problem. If you use the schedule editor after training camp, league state gets set to the beginning of the season, i.e. before the draft. So make sure you edit your schedule before the draft, or you'll have to go through the draft again (plus some players get to go through training camp twice[:)])
David Winter

RE: Problems with roster building after league reset

Post by David Winter »

Problem 1:
If the league is set to have no draft, MF auto generates the rosters. However, some teams do not have full rosters (ranging from 41/45 to 2/45 in one case). Not sure of the exact number of teams this affected as I forgot to save a copy of the league at that point, but think there were 4 or 5. Also, the auto generation assigned 2 kickers but no punters to every team in the league.

Were these 4 or 5 teams human owned? If they were human owned, it would be up to the human to flesh out these rosters.
Problem 2:
I then reset the league and started with a 35 round draft (this seems to be the maximum, even though rosters can carry 50 - it ought to be possible to draft at least this many, preferably more as some players may improve more than others in training camp). After the end of the draft, the game forced an auto generation for the remaining roster slots (fair enough) but instead of assigning 10 - 15 players to each team, assigned an additional 45. So all the teams entered training camp with 80 players. These were then correctly reduced to 45 active & 5 inactive after training camp by computer owned teams (bit of a pain deciding which 30 players to cut for the human owned teams, but such is life[;)])

Well, it should assign just a few extra.. I think I have that value set to 20 extra players. These are required so for the very first training camp of the league, you go into the camp with more players than you need. But if it's adding 45, that's a bug.
Problem 3:
After training camp, computer owned teams had their depth charts in reverse order, so the starters were all the worst players in each position. [snip]

What the!?!.. hmm I'll check that.. that's not right.
Problem 4:
More of a warning to other users rather than a problem. If you use the schedule editor after training camp, league state gets set to the beginning of the season, i.e. before the draft. So make sure you edit your schedule before the draft, or you'll have to go through the draft again (plus some players get to go through training camp twice[:)])

Yeah.. I don't think that scenario was ever tested in private beta. The schedule editor was really just something I tossed into the game because I know the basic round robin schedule generator is only going to work for some league structures. Other leagues need manually edited schedules. So I created that quick and dirty tool to do that. I'm not sure why it's changing the season state to be prior to training camp though.. I'll see what's going on.
"They're not dolls. They're action figures. Valuable Action figures!"
fredirat

Post by fredirat »

Were these 4 or 5 teams human owned? If they were human owned, it would be up to the human to flesh out these rosters.
No, they were all computer owned. The one human owned team got the right number of players
Problem 3:
After training camp, computer owned teams had their depth charts in reverse order, so the starters were all the worst players in each position. [snip]

What the!?!.. hmm I'll check that.. that's not right.
I've had another look and although the depth charts seem to be reversed in the depth chart screen, the formation screen looks more correct (e.g. the QB listed at #3 is the one shown in the formation). If you then press auto-fill, the players change to the same order as the depth chart

If you need any more info, let me know
David Winter

Post by David Winter »

After training camp, computer owned teams had their depth charts in reverse order, so the starters were all the worst players in each position.

Seems I've found a way to accurately model the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.. lol.

Well looks like I have a handle on these so they should be fixed for the next public beta.
fredirat

Post by fredirat »

Excellent.
I look forward to the next release
Thanks again
1GFRover

Problem with training camp after 1st season

Post by 1GFRover »

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread to place this BUG... but I think it fits as it relates to training camps.

I'm using version 1.3.139, DB 1.0.326.
I've completed my first full season.  The league has a total of 24 teams, only one team is Human controlled, and is set as a College level league.
Once this first season was complete, I started a second season.  When I started the draft all went as expected... 35 rounds and teams grew from 65 players (+5 inactive) to a little over 100 (+/- 5) - which is fine.  Then when I executed training camp that's when the problems began.
After selecting training camp the program froze (I even left it over night to see if it would work itself out).  I had to reboot and try again.  This happened three times.  After the third reboot (and three nights) I tried a fourth time and training camp completed, then the screen for "Computer Teams are adjusting rosters" appears, and then the program freezes.  I've left it over night a couple of nights after a couple of attempts and each time the program has frozen.  Now all the teams have gone through at least 7 training camps and all of the ability levels are approaching ridiculously high levels (too many all-star 99s), and I can't even get to the start of the second season.
Suggestions please!  How can I get the training camp and computer team roster adjustment go through in a single try?  And how can I play my second season?
(I have a pre-draft back up the league and master dbs).
Always keep one eye on the sky - the Air Force is coming!
RVD

RE: Problem with training camp after 1st season

Post by RVD »

ORIGINAL: 1GFRover

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread to place this BUG... but I think it fits as it relates to training camps.

I've completed my first full season.  The league has a total of 24 teams, only one team is Human controlled, and is set as a College level league.
Once this first season was complete, I started a second season.  When I started the draft all went as expected... 35 rounds and teams grew from 65 players (+5 inactive) to a little over 100 (+/- 5) - which is fine.  Then when I executed training camp that's when the problems began.
After selecting training camp the program froze (I even left it over night to see if it would work itself out).  I had to reboot and try again.  This happened three times.  After the third reboot (and three nights) I tried a fourth time and training camp completed, then the screen for "Computer Teams are adjusting rosters" appears, and then the program freezes.  I've left it over night a couple of nights after a couple of attempts and each time the program has frozen.  Now all the teams have gone through at least 7 training camps and all of the ability levels are approaching ridiculously high levels (too many all-star 99s), and I can't even get to the start of the second season.
Suggestions please!  How can I get the training camp and computer team roster adjustment go through in a single try?  And how can I play my second season?
(I have a pre-draft back up the league and master dbs).

1GFRover,

I had a problem similar to this and it turned out all the teams in my league somehow lost their "Team Profiles" Just check to make sure all of your teams still have profiles assigned to them. Then training camp should work!

RVD

David Winter

RE: Problem with training camp after 1st season

Post by David Winter »

Also be sure to get the latest version (1.3.149). It has a number of checks and such to try to ensure that teams have profiles.

Thanks
David

Return to “Public Beta Forum”