Just Purchased - Updated - Won't run and Locks

Pandora: First Contact is a science-fiction turn-based strategy game of epic scale. The player leads his chosen human faction over multiple centuries on a newly discovered earth-like planet into an unknown future. Pandora features research, diplomacy, economy, warfare and endless replayability with the exploration of exciting and randomly-generated worlds.

Moderator: MOD_Proxy Studios

Yogi the Great

Just Purchased - Updated - Won't run and Locks

Post by Yogi the Great »

I started a help ticket but that can take a while so I'm posting here as well.

Once again the update feature has done me in, I downloaded game and installed today (11/6/14) The game loaded and started fine (I skipped the update first time to see if game worked) well I went back restarted and this time since it showed an update to version 1.4.2 available I updated the game. Now it gets you to the menu screen but when you hit new game it just gives that error sound and then locks up. Task manage shows several Pandora trying to run and an error box. I had a similar problem on another game when it told me update available and then game wouldn't work had to end up getting a patch for that. [:@]
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
Yogi the Great

RE: Just Purchased - Updated - Won't run and Locks

Post by Yogi the Great »

Should I delete and re install without updating this time is my question
JosephM

Post by JosephM »

Hello Yogi,

I'm sorry you are having problems with the game, but we are trying to help. We have asked for the DxDiag report and the game's Logs on the Matrix Helpdesk ticket, so please respond to Paulo's request otherwise it makes it very difficult to offer any help.
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

Thanks Joseph, I may have it now but time will tell, Looks like Norton anti-virus considered a Pandora exe file as High Risk and quarantined it. Against their advice I restored it and the game has started up twice. Hopefully that will continue ok and the file is not high risk.

Has anyone else had this issue?
Talon_XBMCX

Post by Talon_XBMCX »

Yup, Norton quarantined it for me as well. Once I restored it I was fine. Very frustrating to get the false positives, but was easy enough to restore. The unfortunate part is that I often miss the Norton message while I'm trying to figure out what just happened!
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

Thought I would give a little update. Not too long after the above another update 1.4.3 came out. I ignored it for awhile but decided to update again. Same problem game wouldn't play. Having been through it before I went right into Norton and sure enough it had quarantined the exe file as high risk. So I restored it again and the game works. I assume I can expect this result with each and every update. Doesn't help to turn it off while you install an update as it will just catch it later.
milkweg

Post by milkweg »

Norton considers it high risk because the pandora.exe connects out to the internet, just for SP even, that is the same behavior spyware exhibits so Norton flags it. It wouldn't run for me until I allowed pandora.exe and pandoraserver.exe through my firewall. That annoys me because I thought Matrix games had no DRM.

Return to “Pandora Series”