Why no manual?

Pandora: First Contact is a science-fiction turn-based strategy game of epic scale. The player leads his chosen human faction over multiple centuries on a newly discovered earth-like planet into an unknown future. Pandora features research, diplomacy, economy, warfare and endless replayability with the exploration of exciting and randomly-generated worlds.

Moderator: MOD_Proxy Studios

Wolfe1759

Why no manual?

Post by Wolfe1759 »

Just wanted to find out from the developers why they thought it was such a brilliant idea not to write a manual for their game.
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
aaatoysandmore

RE: Why no manual?

Post by aaatoysandmore »

I second the motion. All in favor say "I". therefore the I's have it, waiting on an answer now. [:'(]
stormbringer3

Post by stormbringer3 »

The lack of a manual kept me and also others from buying. I hoped that the add-on game would finally have a manual. Nope, therefore still no purchase. If you like sci-fi, Distant Worlds: Universe is a great game.
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

I'll talk to the team and see if we can do anything - they deliberately went for in game help and not a manual because it could be kept up to date while the manual was almost instantly out of date.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
lparkh

Post by lparkh »

Maybe make the manual online and linked to their help messages. Then they surround the help messages with less perishable manual content. Try to have best of both worlds.
THe lack of manual was a signficant negative for me as well though I bought the game. It made the learning curve much harder than it should have been. Which will discourage new buyers leading to less word of mouth sales as they give up.
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

I don't own the game, also because there is no detailed manual or instructions anywhere about how the game works, but from what I have read over time the in-game help is lacking in detail. If they are going for strictly in-game instructions, then it still needs to be comprehensive and explain everything in detail.

Wargame grognards like details, we like to know how everything work, as I'm sure you know. :o)
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

I guess I'm an odd duck as I rarely read game manuals. I may quickly scan one or look something up on rare occasion but reading one is not a task I undertake. In my humble personal opinion, most games one can pick up on by just playing it with perhaps an occasional trip to the manual (or in game tool tips).
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

I grew up on manuals. I always like to take them to the throne room (I think you know where I mean) and spend a lot longer in there than I should reading them but it's the only real place I get any privacy anymore. I'll sometimes read the manual from cover to cover. There's just something about a manual like the ole rule books we got in board games that never gets old having them for reference and such. I don't have to have box art anymore. But, I still likes me printed colorful if I can get them manuals. [:D]
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Not one thread on how the expansion actually plays. Will have to look elsewhere...

Return to “Pandora Series”