The AI?

Armada 2526 continues the great tradition of space opera games. You guide your race from its first interstellar journeys, until it becomes a mighty galactic empire. Along the way, you'll explore the galaxy, conduct research, diplomacy and trade, found new colonies, maneuver mighty star fleets, and fight epic battles.

Moderator: MOD_Armada2526

Speedy2511

The AI?

Post by Speedy2511 »

Hello.

I'm new to the game. And so far it is not bad. But the AI never attacks me.

I play the humans on the 12 Races Map with normal difficult. I'm the weekest of the races and next to the Qua Assembly. In Turn 180 i declare them war just to test it, and 100 Turns later there where not one attack on one of me colonies. They had about 100 ships! And i only 25. They could easily whipe me out, but non attack. That is not a lot of fun to me.

Have you seen somethink different? Is it just the map? I play mith Supernova and the latest patch.

Greetings from Germany
Nico
Marshall Thomas

RE: The AI?

Post by Marshall Thomas »

I have the same problem. Any ideas on how to mod the AI to be more aggressive? Thanks in advance.
0360-1275-8904-8300
Wrax

Post by Wrax »

Qa Qa as their description says are friendly and peaceful - so maybe they treat your attack defensively and are waiting for you? :D
maybe that's the point? :)

Someone somewhere wrote that AI is sometimes afraid of player's fleet, so if it is a testing war try disband your ships and wait what happens (but maybe try with other spacies e.g. Klurgu or True Klurgu  [:'(]

and the least - rise difficulty level (I'm sure that has some impact on agressiveness)
Marshall Thomas

Post by Marshall Thomas »

I just doubled the cost and upkeep for all defensive structures. I'm hoping this makes the AI spend more on ships (for offense) and less on defence (planetary defences).
0360-1275-8904-8300
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
Anguille

Post by Anguille »

The forthcoming patch 1.04 improves the aggressiveness of the AI. Keep your eyes open [;)]
Speedy2511

Post by Speedy2511 »

Yeah, i saw it at the developer page.
But haven't the time to test it.

Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
Farrels

Post by Farrels »

Greetings all

Being playing a few rounds of Armarda and the ai still seems placid, this is with the new patch. Played three games and havent been attacked at all, the ai just seems too keen to offer n/a pacts, even with hostile relations. Anyone else having a smiliar experience?

Farrels
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

Using Armada Supernova, with patch to 1.4, extensively played 3 games (300) turns - and a dozen or so shorter games (I often just play until bored) - I have to say that in most of my games the AI did not attack early. They did react to my attacks with retaliatory strikes but aside from the Klurgu, most of the species weren't too aggressive.

HOWEVER, the AIs did fight each other quite a bit - at least according to the stats. It's hard to fight someone whose planets are out of range so I think the AI appears more passive than they actually are.

Regarding the 12 Races scenario, if you're playing Humans: iirc, the Human's nearest neighbors in range are the Qa Qa Assembly. They're fairly peaceful. So right off, the Humans have little worries even if war's declared. However, they surprised me when after easily gobbling up two good planets (including what I think was their homeworld), the Qa Qa battlefleet appeared from whatever mission it was on and severely injured me. It wasn't enough to save them though.

I play fairly aggressively so I may be instigating the AI to react similarly. Maybe a more peaceful player will not see much action? Anyone?
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of Matrix Games, the forum members of Matrix Games, the forum moderators, or JonathanStrange.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Again, only 100 turns in, but the AI is no more aggressive and still offers deals that are bad for them and good for me. I'm hoping they will turn and back-stab me to wake me up. I am enjoying the game, but it's no Distant Worlds, obviously.
martok

Post by martok »

ORIGINAL: JonathanStrange

I play fairly aggressively so I may be instigating the AI to react similarly. Maybe a more peaceful player will not see much action? Anyone?

I'm definitely more of a peaceful player, and I'd say a lot depends on the race in question.

The more aggressive/xenophobic factions are generally pretty...active (as you'd already noticed with the Klurgu), including the Xpectrada and Linkin. However, even "middle of the road" races such as the Qa-Qa and AROM won't hesitate to come after me if they feel that strategic circumstances warrant it, and/or I've left myself vulnerable somewhere. They may not be as "vigorous" in prosecuting a military campaign against me, but they still seem to be pretty good at exploiting any weaknesses on my part.

Of course, I've played the game long enough to be pretty careful about that sort of thing, which means the AI doesn't attack as often, which in turn can make the AI seem more passive than it actually is. So I don't think it's so much that the AI isn't "warlike" enough, it's that it's generally smart enough to know it shouldn't attack me in the first place (which quite frankly, I really enjoy in a strategy game)!

So yes, that means a lot of my games do tend to be rather peaceful, but honestly I don't mind. I consider that to be the price for the computer opponents in Armada being, if not brilliant per se, then at least competent (generally speaking)...and I'm really very much okay with that. [8D] As with many things, though, you mileage may vary.

ORIGINAL: rosseau

Again, only 100 turns in, but the AI is no more aggressive and still offers deals that are bad for them and good for me. I'm hoping they will turn and back-stab me to wake me up. I am enjoying the game, but it's no Distant Worlds, obviously.

FWIW, Neutron (over on the game's official forums) has said that often times an AI player will deliberately give you favorable deals if it thinks it needs something badly enough (cash, a certain tech, a certain colony, etc.), so that right there could very well explain a lot of it.

That being said, I do feel that the AI values map information and small, undeveloped/underdeveloped colonies too much, which can indeed to be used to exploit them in any trade/swap deal. I subsequently try not to use this exploit too often, but I'll admit it's hard sometimes!

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

It is sensible for the AI not to attack if the conditions aren't good enough; that's probably a mark in its favor most times.

However, the OP was describing a situation where he felt he was greatly outnumbered and vulnerable and the Qa Qa Assembly didn't attack. I'm at a loss to say why although I could come up with speculations that a) they were already dealing with a powerful rival who couldn't be safely left alone b) their scanning tech may not have detected the Humans weakness c) they were out of range. There could have been other reasons (inferior Qa Qa Assembly ship quality, like corvette/destroyers vs. Human dreadnaughts). But I'll assume the OP would've taken these sort of things into account. So basically, I don't know why they didn't attack him.

I will say, in my experience, the AI does attack me when I'm vulnerable and makes deals when I'm not. Armada can be a more peaceful game due to ship range limits and careful defense preps but once my empire is within fleet range of several species - man, one can be in for it.

The OP also said he was the weakest civ in the game but, assuming the OP was referring to Victory Points rating, many civs will have higher ratings than others but be militarily mediocre. When I'm the Humans, I'm often one of the lowest VP races but my fleets are powerful enough to take out civs who are getting their VPs from happiness or money. In other words, the OPs small fleet may not have seemed too tiny to the peaceful Qa Qa Assembly.

The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of Matrix Games, the forum members of Matrix Games, the forum moderators, or JonathanStrange.

Return to “Armada 2526 Series”