Question on ship configs..

The Starships Unlimited v3 is a fun, addictive and elegant 4X space strategy game.
Surma

Question on ship configs..

Post by Surma »

Hey everyone, just bought the game and played around a bit, and I have a question, here goes:

Does having multiple engines affect speed? Is it similar to the way multiple computers affect how far away you can see new stars, etc..
Mangudai

RE: Question on ship configs..

Post by Mangudai »

I don't think multiple engines add speed. You could carry a spare in case the first engine is destroyed, but I don't bother.
oi

Post by oi »

Surma, Yes, multiple engines do affect speed.  An extra engine will make you at least 50% faster.  I double up on engines for specialty situations.  For example, it is always nice to have a powerful warship patrolling behind the lines on the lookout for a sudden attack.  Sometimes you can pick up the incoming alien ships before they arrive at their destination (even if your spies are sleeping).  Then you can run your speedy warship out to the endangered sector in time to save the day.  That being said, extra engines are not much of an asset on a combat warship, as they take up a valuable slot that could be better used for weapons or defense.  Once your ship has lost its shields and armor and falls below 50% integrity, any more hits will pretty much wreck the ship.  Extra engines here do not help in turning the ship about and trying to break away.  It matters not if you have one or five engines, all will be lost.
     When you have multiple ships in a fleet attack, the presence of different numbers of engines on different ships can disrupt the timing of your attack.  Although the game tries to compensate for it, the ships with multiple engines always arrive first, and unless it is a long fight, the battle can be over before the slower ships even engage. 
                Oi 
beserko

Post by beserko »

first move either[/align] [/align]scout 1 computer and the rest engines[/align] [/align]or[/align] [/align]build computers in all slots[/align] [/align]you will see the entire map very quickly![/align]
as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns; that is to say, there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns—there are things we do not know we don't know."

Return to “Starships Unlimited v3”