merchant careeer

Smugglers IV - Doomsday is a fun and challenging turn-based space-trading game where you take command of an advanced space ship amidst a galaxy torn by war and crime! With your ship and skilled crew you can choose to be a greedy trader, ambitious bounty hunter, ruthless pirate, or one of the other professions in your quest for riches, fame, and power! Through trading, fulfilling missions, or pirating, you can earn the money and skills necessary to buy new ships and upgrade your equipment. As success brings larger ships, missions, and enemies, you'll have to manage a crew, board & plunder enemy ships, and even conquer star systems.
balenami1291

merchant careeer

Post by balenami1291 »

I decided to learn game slowly.

So I've decided to try to avoid fight everytime and i'm focusing on the trade.

ok. So figth became boring, But, after a lot of ship's defensive improvements, I avoid combt quite safely.

I'm playing only Trapsort mission.

Now I've reached my first improvement at stardate: 2451.304

When a pirate reach his first improvement ?

and the other profession ??

I think is interesting understand if there are some difference in th improvement curve for different type of way to play game
Angelo Balena Ricci

Intek i5 m520 2,5mhz
6 mega ram
Nvidia 525 1 giga ram
vonRocko

RE: merchant careeer

Post by vonRocko »

IMO it makes no difference what career you choose. You will end up doing the same things as a pirate or a mercenary or any other.
NielsB

Post by NielsB »

ORIGINAL: vonRocko

IMO it makes no difference what career you choose. You will end up doing the same things as a pirate or a mercenary or any other.

I am sorry, but that's not correct. If you play as a trader you need to have a ship with lots of cargo space. Those freighters are very weak and it wouldn´t make sense to use them on combat missions. On the other hand if you´re a mercenary and you have a combat ship, your cargo bay is too small to trade effectively. This doesn´t mean though that you cannot play a jack-of-all-trade character, but it'll never be as effective as if you specialize.
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

ORIGINAL: NielsB

I am sorry, but that's not correct. If you play as a trader you need to have a ship with lots of cargo space. Those freighters are very weak and it wouldn´t make sense to use them on combat missions. On the other hand if you´re a mercenary and you have a combat ship, your cargo bay is too small to trade effectively. This doesn´t mean though that you cannot play a jack-of-all-trade character, but it'll never be as effective as if you specialize.
Yes but you still get the same missions presented whether you are a pirate or a trader.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Yes but it is a mix...

But I "kind of agree" as I am a pirate and I have done some Trading missions for the big cash.
Alba gu' brath
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

I'm still on mercenary, at Captain level, saving up for that cruiser. I upgraded my charcter to the 4x focus beams, and it can take out some pretty big ships (cruiser and above). I'm in a destroyer. I don't much board ships, just to costly in terms of crew for me.

I'm still enjoying the game, and play a few turns since I have purchased it.
Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
NielsB

Post by NielsB »

Yes but you still get the same missions presented whether you are a pirate or a trader.

Ahm. Of course you get ALL missions presented to you whether you are a mercenary or a trader. Actually you could also ACCEPT ALL missions. But you cannot SOLVE ALL missions. Or you decide for yourself that it would be a cool challenge to try a combat mission as a trader. But that's the idea of a game where the player has the freedom to choose what he does.
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

Ahm. Of course you get ALL missions presented to you whether you are a mercenary or a trader. Actually you could also ACCEPT ALL missions. But you cannot SOLVE ALL missions. Or you decide for yourself that it would be a cool challenge to try a combat mission as a trader. But that's the idea of a game where the player has the freedom to choose what he does.

Yes,this makes my point, It really doesn't matter what career you start with, anything you can do as a trader you can do as a pirate or mercenary etc.
jdew

Post by jdew »

Yeah I see too that anything you can do as a trader you can do as a pirate, merc or whatever. There doesn't look to be any specific set of missions for any type.

The only real difference I see between the types are the abilities (skills) you get at the start. As a trader it looks to be kind of suicidal to accept combat or patrol missions and as a merc too time consuming to haul around cargo in a tiny hold that I could convert to something more useful for combat related missions.

So what I end up doing as a merc, is having a ship that isn't set up too well for trader missions... little cargo space and my abilities and equipment are oriented for offensive combat. As a trader, I configure my ship with tons of cargo space and defensive oriented equipment then go for new abilities that are either defensive or trading related. For example, as a merc the "Flee" ability isn't top of the list to have, but as a trader it sure is. Likewise as a trader having the best offensive weapons aren't real high on the list, where as a merc they are.

The difference I see between the types is really just how you configure the ship and the abilities (skills) you pick when the opportunity arises. When I select a mission (but there's no requirement that I ever select a mission... and when I don't see any I like, I won't select a mission at that time), I'll select one that fits the ship I have and the abilities. But then as time goes on I can turn my trader into a pirate or merc if I want simply by getting related abilities and a ship configuration that fits.... so it looks like I'm not locked into any one profession type over the life of this character.

NielsB

Post by NielsB »

Yes,this makes my point, It really doesn't matter what career you start with, anything you can do as a trader you can do as a pirate or mercenary etc.

Then I misunderstood you. What you mean is that your first choice when creating your character (e.g. trader) does not hinder you from changing your ship, equipment, etc. to become a mercenary afterwards. That's correct. I always thought this to be positive.
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

I always thought this to be positive.
It is! [:)]
killroyishere

Post by killroyishere »

The only real difference I see between the types are the abilities (skills) you get at the start. As a trader it looks to be kind of suicidal to accept combat or patrol missions and as a merc too time consuming to haul around cargo in a tiny hold that I could convert to something more useful for combat related missions

That's basically the difference. From playing the demo though it appears you can gain loot and experience faster doing bounty missons or patrols though.

One thing this game did get me to do is break out my Privateer and Privateer 2 games and play them a little while. All things get repetitive though and even the combat as fun as it is gets repetitive and boring in these two games as well. I like the speech pak for Privateer though as it really adds to the immersion. Plus being able to use a joystick and press buttons is just more fun than pressing 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3. I like the manueverability of the Privateers and the tactics. Thank goodness for DosBox I have been able to play so many great games of the past because of it.
NielsB

Post by NielsB »

ORIGINAL: killroyishere
The only real difference I see between the types are the abilities (skills) you get at the start. As a trader it looks to be kind of suicidal to accept combat or patrol missions and as a merc too time consuming to haul around cargo in a tiny hold that I could convert to something more useful for combat related missions

That's basically the difference. From playing the demo though it appears you can gain loot and experience faster doing bounty missons or patrols though.

One thing this game did get me to do is break out my Privateer and Privateer 2 games and play them a little while. All things get repetitive though and even the combat as fun as it is gets repetitive and boring in these two games as well. I like the speech pak for Privateer though as it really adds to the immersion. Plus being able to use a joystick and press buttons is just more fun than pressing 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3. I like the manueverability of the Privateers and the tactics. Thank goodness for DosBox I have been able to play so many great games of the past because of it.

I am sorry killroyishere, but somehow I believe it´s rather your posts that are becoming boring by now (for reference see the dozens of his other similiar posts).
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: killroyishere

Actually, you can make a heck of a lot of money trading if you are specialized in it. In any case, if you have questions on the game you are welcome to ask them, but please don't jump to conclusions if all you have played is the introductory portion in the demo.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]

Return to “Smugglers IV - Doomsday”