First Impressions & Feedback Thread

Smugglers IV - Doomsday is a fun and challenging turn-based space-trading game where you take command of an advanced space ship amidst a galaxy torn by war and crime! With your ship and skilled crew you can choose to be a greedy trader, ambitious bounty hunter, ruthless pirate, or one of the other professions in your quest for riches, fame, and power! Through trading, fulfilling missions, or pirating, you can earn the money and skills necessary to buy new ships and upgrade your equipment. As success brings larger ships, missions, and enemies, you'll have to manage a crew, board & plunder enemy ships, and even conquer star systems.
Rob Brennan UK

RE: First Impressions & Feedback Thread

Post by Rob Brennan UK »

Yup , i think its in the mercenary combat option tree. Main central thread if youknow what i mean. Its a skill like any other and you need it active to avoid emp pulses so it will change your tactics a bit but its well worth it.

IIRC you need one 'point' from both sides of the tech tree before you access the central one. Bit vague on the description here, apologies, but dont have the game open atm .

Good Luck
sorry for the spelling . English is my main language , I just can't type . and i'm too lazy to edit :)
Slocket

Post by Slocket »

The pirate / criminal faction skill tree does give you the EMP ability; so even those pirate fighters can be hitting you with honest EMP pulses without cheating. It is in the skill tree. You can learn it too.

I think the point is as explained in the manual, you get more loot by disabling the cargo ship if your a pirate. Plus the more cargo space you have to haul away loot, the more plunder you get.

So pirates would naturally want to EMP your ship....but I thought they would perform a boarding action, then leave you alone minus your cargo maybe. Or they just blow your ship up after they board you -either way I have not seen the AI do a boarding action; since they leave you dead. Dead men tell no tales. So maybe that is why.
NielsB

Post by NielsB »

ORIGINAL: timmoody

I enjoyed the game. Well spent money, but there are certain things I think would enhance the game:

1. Include more equipment & ships. Very few types of equipment. If you include more the player should be able to mod the ship to ones needs to a greater extend. What if each type of equipment gave you a special ability to use during combat. If you played a defensive minded character you could by anti-missile rockets instead of the more offensive one. Engine power could be used (via an option during combat) to enhance shield but making hitting the opponent harder. (these are just the first things that came to my mind, they probably do not make a lot of sense).

2. A more campaign based story with the pc in the middle. There where to many short missions imho.

3. The boarding of ships should be tweeked and made more complex. I loved the ships vs. ship fighting but the combat onboard was really dull. I know it is not really the main part of the game but you could make it more similar to the ship vs. ship combat with different abilities and stuff.

What you mention is mostly part of my "to-do" list. However instead of an an adventure-like storyline I am rather going to work on the feedback you get from the war + maybe some personal missions like you had to do in pirates (find your long lost family, etc.).
4. Maybe this was just me but I was disappointed when I got my hands on the bigger ships. I expected them to be really powerful but even the fighters managed to put me in a tought spot at certain times. (and vice versa when I had a fighter I actually managed to take down a couple of the bigger ships). the bigger ships should be able to take the smaller ones out easily unless the fighter pilot gets really lucky.

The basic idea of the ship design & encounter design is like this: You can encounter +-1 ship class in the game. Everything smaller will be no challenge or value at all, so consequently you do not encounter them. Anything larger and you would stand no chance. However within this +-1 ship class difference you are challenged depending on your skill, game character and ship. A smuggler fulfilling some combat missions is supposed to be fine with attacking the same class or a lower class of ships. A mercenary with a combat specialized ship however is supposed to try his best at the +1 ship class. Defeating a +1 ship class will bring very high rewards.
Btw, I found a patch on nielsbauergames.com, but after installing it I could no play the game. Is there a patch on the way?

The version you got from MatrixGames is the newest version. The patch available from my website is for previous versions.
JWW

Post by JWW »

Finally upgraded to a destroyer and added the boarding shuttle.  That is fun.  Now I'm chasing and capturing pirates by boarding their ships.  Also captured some droids.  The game does add new layers of interest every time you buy a bigger ship.

I'm think a career as a trader would be a completely different challenge if you stuck to the trading ships rather than combat vehicles without a lot of cargo capacity.    
jdew

Post by jdew »

ORIGINAL: JW

Finally upgraded to a destroyer and added the boarding shuttle.  That is fun.  Now I'm chasing and capturing pirates by boarding their ships.  Also captured some droids.  The game does add new layers of interest every time you buy a bigger ship.

I'm think a career as a trader would be a completely different challenge if you stuck to the trading ships rather than combat vehicles without a lot of cargo capacity.    

I agree. The game does add layers every time you buy a bigger ship and as you get to select new skills and buy new equipment. I find the skill selection to be a particularly crucial decision.

As for traders, I tried a trader career for something different and I find it almost completely different from pirate or merc. As a trader, I found myself thinking defensively.... selecting trading and defensive skills and equipment. Here, I'd just do doing trading missions. Combat was something to be avoided. Luckily, the AI doesn't board so I didn't have to load up on marines and droids.

In an update or patch I'd like to see the AI do some boarding.... at least at a higher level of difficulty or later in the career, if not from the start... since that would make a trader career quite a bit riskier.

Drifter

Post by Drifter »

Not much has been posted for a while, so I thought a newbie could add a few words. I have about 55-60 hours of time spent on the game. That's about fifty cents an hour, can't complain about overall value. I think I'll now move on to something else, however.

My experience in this genre goes back to the original Reach for the Stars on Apple II GS and Pirates, both of which kept me going for hundreds of hours on 512K floppys. All of the Wing Commander/Privateer games were great, as were MOO I-III, XCOM I-III, Alpha Centauri, Civ I-IV, Galactic Civ I, right up through Europa Universalis I-III.

This game feels very close to Pirates in many ways, but is not as much fun. I could happily go back to Pirates and try to sail a brig around a galleon and capture it, or do a sword fight with sabre vs. a cutlass; however, I don't really want to do any more of this Smugglers IV combat, with stationary images and pushing a limited number buttons to put up a shield, fire a torpedo, or try to escape a losing fight. It was fun, as in beer-and-pretzels fun, for a while, but there is just too much of it, and it is too much the same.

After a few short plays of getting the feel of the game, I began as a pirate, and made it to admiral, had a planet all my own to retire too, and some half million points. It took forever to get enough money together to buy, and trick out, a ship powerful enough to take on a Maurader. Capturing enough 'bots was expensive, because of the number of marines lost in each combat boarding. After some 8-9 boardings, I finally had captured 18 'bots, and with their help, got past the large number of combat crew on the bridge of a Marauder, and I was in business. Once that ship was beefed up, combat was no problem, and I could take on fleets and make some good money.

Next time, I sent out as a mercenary, and took over a Stonewall more quickly, beefed it up, then took over a Gettysburg. Once that was upgraded, it is easy to take out star systems and rake in 2.5 million as payment. I was able to get my faction to control about 12-14 planets at any one time, but if I took over a star system at one end, a star system at the other end quickly fell. I finally gave up, and retired with about 1.5 million points.

Last time was a pure trader, never even tried to board a single ship. I was as defensive, and as full of cargo space, as possible. It took forever to get going. The early ships have so little space, and the missions take far too long. Missions to deliver 200 units of cargo can require 15-20 trips. With an eye at the later promotions, you have to go for defensive benefits from the early promotions, so you are hard pressed to take easier, higher paying missions that require fighting. Once I had the necessary drives to exit my original system, I did much more trading runs than missions. The cash starts to build up at a good rate then, and before long, I had the biggest ship money could buy, some 1800 units of space, and just ran up the trading, unless a decent mission became available. With some $25-30 million cash in hand, I retired, at age 60, as an admiral, again with my own planet, and 4.5 million points. My faction held only 2-3 planets at the end, however.

Some changes I would like to see: I wish merchants could more easily avoid combat. Even cloaked and with fast engines, combat comes far too often, and with weaker guns, it takes a while to whittle down all opponents. If not for the ability to re-generate shields, I don't see how I could have survived as a merchant. For combat missions in general, I wish there was some way to control my final destination. As a mercenary, if I go after a pirate who is wanted for cash, and just before I encounter him, I get intercepted, I can be in big trouble. I will very likely win the interception fight, but am down to half shields, or even less, and am immediately thrown into combat with the enemy ship I had been headed for, and his ship is at 100% health and all set for a romp. There should be some option to return to a planet, or at least change direction, after every combat. Also, I can't seem to find a way to repair my ship on a planet. A few times I was really limping along, landed on a planet to hire crew, and hoping I would not be intercepted when I left. More than once, after lift-off, I was killed, because I was too weak after battles like the one mentioned above. Trading missions do not reward the time and money spent to fulfill them. In later stages, you are asked to supply 2000-3000 items. Often, the planet that wants the items is paying very little for the item. Even to find 2000 engines, diamonds, etc. at a break-even cost may require visits to as many as 6-7 star systems, and even with a huge cargo ship, will require at least two trips out of and back to the star system in need. All of that time, you are constantly intercepted, and fighting long battles, all for very little reward. In the earlier trading missions, your ship simply does not have the cargo space to allow you to complete the mission without multiple runs, and you may not have the cash to purchase the cargo, either.

My final thoughts? A good game, fun, but it becomes too repetitive. It is a nice, easy, casual game. It is very close to the old Sid Meier Pirates in many ways, though not as addictive. Maybe a bit like Galactic Civilizations I (very) Lite. This is NOT Wing Commander, or Privateer, and most certainly not Sword of the Stars. So take it for what it is. I received my money's worth. Next up? Not sure, Maybe Galactic Civ II, Europa Uniersalis' new addition called Heir to the Throne, or Matrix's own Distant Worlds.

Return to “Smugglers IV - Doomsday”