HUCE confused by Databases and Battlesets - installing betas

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.
rsitaly

HUCE confused by Databases and Battlesets - installing betas

Post by rsitaly »

Hi!
I have 3 doubts about the COMMANDER EDITION in the ULTIMATE compilation (that is great BTW!); my doubts come from the fact that I have played the CLASSIC versions (including the COMMANDER EDITION) for years but I have never modified the existing installations ... I mean that I played the scenarios as installed by the installers without adding and/or modifying any database or battleset.

First doubt:
When I play the COMMANDER EDITION present in ULTIMATE I see the list of all the battlesets and choosing one of them I see the list of its scenarios (I know that some battlesets are empty).
Looking at the files installed I see that every battleset have 2 files ... one with .RES extension and another with .RSR extension; what they contains?

Second doubt:
I see also another couple of files named COMMONDB.RES and COMMMONDB.RSR ... what they contains? when they are used?
can they be the database (HCDB I think)?
If they are the database as I think (also if they have the same extensions of the battlesets) this means that I could have many databases as i want, but only ONE DATABASE at time so needing to keep other databases in other subdirectories for example and moving them in the main directory and not all the sceanarios of all battlesets can work again.
BTW what is the most used DATABASE for the COMMANDER EDITION in ULTIMATE?

Third doubt:
After having patched the COMMANDER EDITION with the last official ULTIMATE patch, I installed 2 beta.
They are called HC2018.002GESEDBDUBSBB.zip and HC2022.006GESEPEDUBSBBSOW.zip.
What will happens when the beta will expire in 2026?
Will all the scenario in the COMMANDER EDITION still works now at least until 2026? (I saved the whole directory before to install the beta)
Is there something that I should know about these betas?

Thanks in advance!

Roberto
TonyE

Re: HUCE confused by Databases and Battlesets - installing betas

Post by TonyE »

First doubt: the combination of .res and .rsr files make up a BattleSet which is a collection of one or more of the following
Map
Scenarios + Orders
Platform database
Weather group starting positions
various other settings (sonar conditions, etc.)

Second doubt: see https://harpgamer.com/harpforum/topic/3 ... ment=59157

Third doubt: As long as the proverbial bus doesn't run me over, there will be new builds before 2026 that extend the expiration. At absolute worst, you can go back to the latest official release at that time which could mean not being able to play scenarios that you edited in beta versions. I wouldn't let that stop you, the improvements to the game are many, worth the risk imho. The betas are very stable, when one isn't, I try to post that heads' up in case people want to skip it.
Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
rsitaly

Re: HUCE confused by Databases and Battlesets - installing betas

Post by rsitaly »

Thanks a lot Tony!

Roberto

Return to “Tech Support”