Reinstalling After Many Years

Harpoon Ultimate Edition is the best and most comprehensive compilation of computer Harpoon games ever assembled! The two flagship products in the Harpoon line up, Advanced Naval Warfare and Commanders Edition come highly expanded and improved from their previous versions. More than twenty classic versions of Harpoon are also included! Harpoon - Ultimate Edition is the most powerful and complete modern naval warfare simulation on the market and a must have for any Harpoon fan!
Anthropoid

Reinstalling After Many Years

Post by Anthropoid »

Ahhh, the old "this is the _new_ forums trick eh!?" [:D]

tm.asp?m=3814427

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid

Feels a bit like I'm doing some serious thread necro, but here goes!

Recently got myself a hot new Xidax gaming rig, so I'm sifting through a room full of old boxes (from my most recent move back to Georgia) and reinstalling all of my old games, ranging back to the late 1990s.

A CD case with serial and CD of Harpoon 3 (a game I never really played much even back in the day) is among the Matrix titles I'm reinstalling.

So, I've reinstalled and used my serial to reactivate the CD copy, and it boots up fine, even though my OS is Windows 7 (has MS finally done an actual 'good' job of honestly making their OS backwards compatible!?).

My problem is that: the game boots in windowed mode and I cannot enlarge the size of the window enough that the text is really legible. Along with that, I can see in the upper left of the main game menu, a list of what appear to be menu items (PC, File, Settings, Mission, Window), but when I click on them, they are completely unresponsive.

The windows for opening up a new game are bit obscure, and I cannot seem to open up the portion of the game labelled "Tutorials."

I did manage to load up something called "Ferry," so it appears that the game is functioning, but without the Tutorials I fear I'll never be able to decipher how this works.

I noticed the thread with the information about "free upgrade" and went to the product portion of my Matrix account page and registered the game (apparently something I had never done previously) and I'm just now downloading something called "Harpoon3ANW-SetupRelease-V394DR.exe," but honestly I'm not sure if that is simply another copy of the main game, or some sort of actual 'expansion/update' as I would hope.

So really my questions are three:

1. Any idea how to get the game to play in a larger (or unwindowed) mode in Windows 7, so that the fonts are not so tiny?

2. How do I get the "Tutorial" to run?

3. What is this thing "Harpoon3ANW-SetupRelease-V394DR.exe," and is there any other free update I might like to install?

ADDIT: ah so, I see the download I have access to via my registered CD copy (394) is in fact a more recent version than the CD copy (370).

But when I try to use the Serial from 370 to validate the downloaded copy it don't work.

I'll poke around on my member's page and see if there is another 394 specific serial I need to be using, but in the event I need to request such a thing, can I please have it? [:)]

ADDIT^2: So, I don't see any serial on my Matrix member's page, other than the one I originally received with the 3.7.0 CD version of the game. If I am in fact legit to expect a _free!_ upgrade to ultimate (3.9.4) I do appreciate any help. Sent a helpdesk request to Slitherine/Matrix just now [;)]
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ ... playnext=3

Return to “Larry Bond's Harpoon - Ultimate Edition”