Modern air combat (real life info wanted!)

This new Commander's Edition of Harpoon Classic includes land units, neutral and unknown sides, an improved radar and area ECM model and a host of other improvements. Rounding that out are over 200 scenarios and the WestPac Battleset. Try out this great new version of the classic Harpoon!
Alpha77

Modern air combat (real life info wanted!)

Post by Alpha77 »

i,

was playing around quite a bit with the fine old harpoon "game", guess I put this question here for more people to answer. I was on the WW2 trip long enough to know plane modells and battles and methods quite good. However it seems I lack in modern air combat knowledge. Can you recommend some good sites/info? Or maybe we have pilots here? I was at the air surveilance (radar and stuff) during my service in the Luftwaffe (15 yrs ago or so) but we didn´t learn much about that (well it wasnt a flying unit, not even a single heli had the barracks). Later I made 2 reserve duties for an impr. HAWK unit (which is dissolved meanwhile btw). Our job was to protect their stuff if they set up new firing positions (whole unit was mobile).. ok we learned about the misslies - not much more. They were pretty fast with setting up their stuff - this credit must be given of course. Heres a cool site with videos for AA units in Europe (I was at the 38. in Burbach): http://www.hawkies.de/hawk-videos-auf-youtube.html

This was from personal practise in theory I know plane data and weapons etc. I only know range and hit% of missiles... but I dont know how actual combat works. In Harpoon it seems that the "dogfight" seems quite outfashioned and just who has the plane with the longest range and best radar and most long range missiles wins.
It seems the agility (or dogfighting capabilities) of planes and build in guns dont count much in it. But lets say you fire 3 Sparrow (or the Russian equivalent) on a MIG29. It is very agile, it should detect your missiles (guess they have warning and also radar) and can outmanouvre them. Or are these aa missiles really that agile themselfes? Or ground launched stuff like Patriot, Grumble, S300 and co? Or you fire 2 sidewinders at a F16.... they are really agile and should have a better chance to avoid these than it seems in the "game" Also modern planes have countermeasures... they should have a higher survival rate in reality than in Harpoon (or am I wrong - answer also if you dont know that game if you have general good info on the topic)..

Haha a bit long bla bla, sorry I am not native speaker....

Return to “Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition”