Windows 7 Compatibility

This new Commander's Edition of Harpoon Classic includes land units, neutral and unknown sides, an improved radar and area ECM model and a host of other improvements. Rounding that out are over 200 scenarios and the WestPac Battleset. Try out this great new version of the classic Harpoon!
TonyE

Windows 7 Compatibility

Post by TonyE »

HCE runs fine on Windows 7 release version.

I tested with Windows 7 Professional x64 and HCE 2009.036. The same SE limitations apply in Windows 7 as in previous versions of Windows, it just won't work natively on 64-bit versions of Windows but will work in 32-bit virtual machines and 32-bit versions of Windows.

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
danny66

RE: Windows 7 Compatibility

Post by danny66 »

As a matter of interest, how did you get the game to work in the virtual os? Did you just re-install?

I only want to use the scenario editor, but im running vista 64bit as my main os.

TonyE

Post by TonyE »

My virtual machine is windows 2000 running within VMWare workstation. I used the shared folders capability of VMWare to share my HCE from the host computer to the virtual machine so I don't have to install the game into the VM. Installing a second copy of the game into the VM is probably the more straightforward way to go.
Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
johnfmonahan

Post by johnfmonahan »

My question is when will it run in Windows 7 64 bit natively? Or will you delete this post too?
When in doubt, go on line.
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

I have no idea what you mean about deleting posts? I don't know that the scenario editor will ever run natively on 64-bit versions of Windows. That is in large part up to the community supporting the process since this is a volunteer effort developing the game and there has not been the support for such an effort.
Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
Warhorse64

Post by Warhorse64 »

What would actually be involved in making SE into 32- or 64-bit software? I take it it's more than just recompiling?
(I'm not enough of a geek to know this ... [&:])
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

Yes, it is more than just recompiling, even the 32-bit to 64-bit is more than recompiling, tried that and it is much easier than 16 to 32-bit.

Anyway, the biggest direct difficulty in the 16 to 32-bit conversion is translation of the Windows API call. HC uses direct API calls, no MFC or other widgetset approach. In simple terms every chunk of code that sends something to the screen has to be modified with the 32-bit calls. That means thousands of code changes just to get it compiling (I did much of that procedure over a period of a couple of a few weeks a while back). You get lots of small issues there with the different flags for drawing (now a window might not size information like it used to, a button click no longer works cause Tony forgot a flag of some sort, etc.).

On the whole that might be the less troublesome part of the translation, perhaps bigger is maintaining scenario compatibility. An Integer in 16-bit land is, well, 16-bits whereas in 32-bit land it is 32-bits so all of the places the code is silly enough to say Integer need to be reviewed with a fine-toothed comb. Everywhere bit shifting is used it has to be checked because some of the code expects a 16-bit number shifted a certain number of spots, if you just switch to a 32-bit number and shift the same number of bits, you'll often get the wrong result but you won't get any error or warning. That's what can really make the conversion challenging!

My current view is that it is smarter and potentially less time consuming to build a new SE, and in the process start a new GE rather than sink almost endless hours into the existing code. You can read more about some of my ideas and a few of others (notice not nearly enough of others, nor commitments of time, nor anything even close to recent, etc. etc. etc.) http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.php?showforum=49 (note link to restructure ideas there which talks a little bit about 16->32-bit).
Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
rich12545

Post by rich12545 »

I recently installed xp 64 bit.  Hadn't gotten around to installing all my games yet including Harpoon.  I don't care about the scenario editor, just playing the game.  Will it work ok?
CV32

Post by CV32 »

ORIGINAL: rich12545
I recently installed xp 64 bit.  Hadn't gotten around to installing all my games yet including Harpoon.  I don't care about the scenario editor, just playing the game.  Will it work ok?

Yes.
Brad Leyte
HC3 development group member for HCE
Author of HCDB official database for HCE
Harpgamer.com Co-Owner
Warhorse64

Post by Warhorse64 »

ORIGINAL: TonyE

Yes, it is more than just recompiling, even the 32-bit to 64-bit is more than recompiling, tried that and it is much easier than 16 to 32-bit.

Anyway, the biggest direct difficulty in the 16 to 32-bit conversion is translation of the Windows API call. HC uses direct API calls, no MFC or other widgetset approach. In simple terms every chunk of code that sends something to the screen has to be modified with the 32-bit calls. That means thousands of code changes just to get it compiling (I did much of that procedure over a period of a couple of a few weeks a while back). You get lots of small issues there with the different flags for drawing (now a window might not size information like it used to, a button click no longer works cause Tony forgot a flag of some sort, etc.).

On the whole that might be the less troublesome part of the translation, perhaps bigger is maintaining scenario compatibility. An Integer in 16-bit land is, well, 16-bits whereas in 32-bit land it is 32-bits so all of the places the code is silly enough to say Integer need to be reviewed with a fine-toothed comb. Everywhere bit shifting is used it has to be checked because some of the code expects a 16-bit number shifted a certain number of spots, if you just switch to a 32-bit number and shift the same number of bits, you'll often get the wrong result but you won't get any error or warning. That's what can really make the conversion challenging!

My current view is that it is smarter and potentially less time consuming to build a new SE, and in the process start a new GE rather than sink almost endless hours into the existing code. You can read more about some of my ideas and a few of others (notice not nearly enough of others, nor commitments of time, nor anything even close to recent, etc. etc. etc.) http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.php?showforum=49 (note link to restructure ideas there which talks a little bit about 16->32-bit).

Ye flippin' gods ... [X(]
Unzen

Post by Unzen »

ORIGINAL: CV32
ORIGINAL: rich12545

Yes.

Yep - same here. Got it running on my Windows 7 64-bit machine absolutely fine. :)
Rusty 'ol Harpoon player - circa 1989
JayTac

Post by JayTac »

What are the limitations in 7 64 bit?
Warhorse64

Post by Warhorse64 »

Game works fine, scenario editor doesn't work. This holds for any 64-bit version of Windows.
LtMatthews

Post by LtMatthews »

I also have a new windows 7 computer (transfered to my new computer using the xfer program)

I need my key and a set by step tutorial on how to make this work on the new computer please
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

ORIGINAL: LtMatthews

I also have a new windows 7 computer (transfered to my new computer using the xfer program)

I need my key and a set by step tutorial on how to make this work on the new computer please

1. Find your serial number on your original CD or purchase e-mail. If you can't find it for some reason, go to http://www.findmyorder.com and look it up.

2. Install the base game from your CD or original download. If you don't have the base game, contact Matrix support via the helpdesk http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

3. Install the 2008.044 update from http://www.matrixgames.com/products/325 ... %20Edition

4. Install the 2009.042 update from http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.php?showtopic=2049

Tada
Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
SteveFarrell

Post by SteveFarrell »

Are there any issues with Windows 7 and the DB Editor or will that work fine with Windows 7?
Steve [&:]
Steve Farrell
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

ORIGINAL: Steve.farrell

Are there any issues with Windows 7 and the DB Editor or will that work fine with Windows 7?
Steve [&:]

DB editor works fine on all MS operating systems that are newer than Windows 3.2 (bet you thought 3.11 was the last 3 series).

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

Return to “Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition”