Wish List Thread

This new Commander's Edition of Harpoon Classic includes land units, neutral and unknown sides, an improved radar and area ECM model and a host of other improvements. Rounding that out are over 200 scenarios and the WestPac Battleset. Try out this great new version of the classic Harpoon!
SireChaos

Wish List Thread

Post by SireChaos »

Hi,

I guess by now HCE has been around long enough for people to come up with things they think would improve the game.

One thing I noticed is that it would be convenient if, in the scenario editor, when editing bases (and putting aircraft on ships), there was a button to only display aircraft of the nation to which the base/ship belongs - similar to the buttons in the Platform Display in the game itself that switch between active platform only and all platforms.
Failing that, maybe a possibility could be added to define which countries participate in a scenario on each side, and only those countries´ units would be available for groups and bases.

Either would be a very nice addition to the scenario editor, as the database is HUGE, and it is a bit frustrating to have to scroll through hundreds of pages of units you do not need for that scenario.

Besides that, I do not understand why the database for the new battlesets includes bases that are located outside the battleset´s area - this also causes a lot of unnecessary scrolling when creating bases.
TonyE

RE: Wish List Thread

Post by TonyE »

More wishlists if you need some ideas.  Hundreds of other wishes are out there too on the wily world wide web.

http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.php?showforum=35
Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
Krasny

Post by Krasny »

my three wishes are:

1. range circle buttons on the main screen
2. smarter friendly AI that won't run aground
3. multiplayer
Awac835

Post by Awac835 »

ORIGINAL: Krasny

my three wishes are:

1. range circle buttons on the main screen
2. smarter friendly AI that won't run aground
3. multiplayer

/signed
4. Being able to zoom out the unit display as far as the group display. For looking at those unit who are in formation with a airbase but 250 miles away from it and dont show up on the group display [:)]
darknite

Post by darknite »

1)  Sub signature info so players can have some idea of how 'detectable' their sub is at various speeds.
2)  Expanded DataBase - a utility that converts the current game's database into a well-formatted .pdf to aid in play and scenario design
3)  Expanded SSM and Torpedo Guidance - allow for drawing out missile courses, setting activation points, etc for SSMs and Torps
MarkShot

Post by MarkShot »

Well, if this is going to be the Matrix Wish List Thread, then could an admin sticky it.

I wish for drawing tools:

- Marks
- Lines
- Circles

I got to say that it is one thing about the Silent Hunter 3/4 games. They have some of the best charting tools available in a naval game.

Besides from being useful, it sort of makes you feel professional to be marking up a map like you know what you are doing. :)
2021 - Resigned in writing as a 20+ year Matrix Beta and never looked back ...
NefariousKoel

Post by NefariousKoel »

1. Drawing Tools, yes.  Or at least a toggleable tool you can quickly check ranges with (circle with range).
2. Slower hit/defense animations (a bit slower anyway).  My PC's not top of the line but it's no slouch.  When there's 10+ missiles going after a ship and the animation is running, I eventually get a white screen with sound until it's all done.  I guess having slightly slower animations might help.
3. A few more gameplay related details on units such as if an aircraft is equipped with MAD or not.. ya know.  The little things.  Unless I just missed it.
MarkShot

Post by MarkShot »

You know that you can get ranges by just clicking the mouse in either unit or group window and then clicking again? Displays at the very bottom status line.

It's easier to use than the corresponding feature in H3. Although I prefer using the ocean depth crosses in H3 to guesstimate.
darknite

Post by darknite »

I like the ideas of drawing tools.  That way I can mark contacts and keep their last known position on board even if I lose them.  A range circle tool would be nice for estimating such contact's possible location at T+x.

As an aside - with the addition of AD surface units I've taken to doing screen shots and annotating them in Gimp when I do an Elint pass on a base complex as the contacts disappear aftewards.  This aids me in planning ensuing strikes.  Same thing can be done with surface groups to remember their formation.

My understanding is that multiplayer would require a new build to achieve.  I'm not holding my breath for this to happen but I will happily support it's genesis in whatever way I can!

DN
MarkShot

Post by MarkShot »

Darknite,

Aaron Blood over at www.subsim.com has done a free MOBO (not motherboard, but Maneuvering Board) which can be used with many different sims for plotting. One of the two guys he had testing for him has about 20 years CIC work in the service.

It has transparency capabilities and the ability to overlay a game window like Harpoon or any other naval sim that plays in a window. Scroll down the list of forums and you will find a dedicated forum for it.
erict

Post by erict »

Bigger windows. I have a 24" widescreen LCD. For some reason I can't maximize the in game windows.
erict

Post by erict »

O yeah I would like to see a real AEGIS capability. For example be able to track 200+ targets & ripple fire 40 targets coming in from all directions.  So far every version of Harpoon, the Aegis platforms seem rather limited. They feel like a beefed up Leahy class which only has 4 illuminators and can only track a limited number of targets at one time.
CV32

Post by CV32 »

ORIGINAL: erict
O yeah I would like to see a real AEGIS capability. For example be able to track 200+ targets & ripple fire 40 targets coming in from all directions. So far every version of Harpoon, the Aegis platforms seem rather limited. They feel like a beefed up Leahy class which only has 4 illuminators and can only track a limited number of targets at one time.

To see some 'real' Aegis capability, I expect you'll have to work your way into a job at Lockheed Martin or join the Navy. Until then, you might have to settle for HCE's (unintentional) capability to track a virtually unlimited number of targets, and with built-in CEC capability. [:D][:'(]
Brad Leyte
HC3 development group member for HCE
Author of HCDB official database for HCE
Harpgamer.com Co-Owner
NefariousKoel

Post by NefariousKoel »

Ugh! I forgot my #1 wish!

*AI dropping sonobuoys!*

You don't have to get too fancy and make ASW aircraft do their own sono patrol routes & stuff. I'd be perfectly happy if there were a checkbox in the Course dialog (or something under the orders menu while it's open) that would have the AI drop a string of sonobuoys along that leg (and stop when it reaches the next unless it was also checked.)

Right now big ASW scenarios with a bunch of aircraft is such a pain as I'm practically playing in realtime the whole scenario and still only able to drop sonos from 1 a/c at a time even then. It's my biggest hangup with the game and I'd be grateful if it were addressed. [&o]
wombat1417

Post by wombat1417 »

1) My biggest wish involves formation manuevering.
Right now and since the very beginning of Harpoon, when a ship formation changes course, the units just pivot in place.  So those very capable ASW units you had out in front are , depending on the angle of the turn, off to the side somewhere  (In a 180, they are now trailing the formation), and the whole thing is in disarray.
I would like to see the formation follow the line of advance by rotating the entire formation around the main body the appropriate number of degrees. I had suggested this back in the days of Harpoon 2002 Gold but it didn't seem doable then.
2) Ammo reloads for surface units when they pull into ports, just like aircraft do when they land.
3) Surface Gunnery - the ability so shoot to damage rather than always shooting until the target is destroyed or ammo runs out.  I don't need to destroy a city when I'm just trying to knock out grounded aircraft or sensors.
4) Being able to capture enemy bases or ships.  Sort of goes along with #3. Damage a base or merchantman enough to beat down the opposition and sent in the marines.
wombat1417
SteveF2006

Post by SteveF2006 »

I posted this in another part but I'll post it here too. I think it would be a great addition to HCE to have reinforcements. If any of you ever played 360 Pacific’s' Victory at Sea, (too bad the game never really worked) one of the cool features was that reinforcements would "appear" at certain bases during the course of the game. It would be very cool to add this feature to HCE! [:)]
MarkShot

Post by MarkShot »

An air range circle that rather than showing the maximum range on remaining fuel shows the range to bingo fuel. This would be useful for patrols and intercepts. Thanks.
Stalintc

Post by Stalintc »

ORIGINAL: MarkShot

An air range circle that rather than showing the maximum range on remaining fuel shows the range to bingo fuel. This would be useful for patrols and intercepts. Thanks.

Mark just to note,

Under range circles > Airborne Mission Radius is the range to bingo fuel

I hope thats what you are looking for.

This is different to Total Airborne Range which is the maximum range on remaining fuel

Cheers
HCE Beta Tester
HCE Icon Mod available here
HCE Sound Mod available here
MarkShot

Post by MarkShot »

Yep, thanks! Bingo! (pun intended)
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Stalintc

ORIGINAL: MarkShot

Mark just to note,

Under range circles > Airborne Mission Radius is the range to bingo fuel

I hope thats what you are looking for.

This is different to Total Airborne Range which is the maximum range on remaining fuel

Cheers

Right, bingo fuel is the point where an a/c should return to base and still have a 10% fuel reserve for any delays in landing. total airborne range would really only be usefull to show you how far you can go on a tank of JP, on a ferry mission for example. I always keep mine set to 'Show airborne mission radius' as it is usually more pertinent to what is going on in the scenario.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

Return to “Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition”