Wish List Thread

This new Commander's Edition of Harpoon Classic includes land units, neutral and unknown sides, an improved radar and area ECM model and a host of other improvements. Rounding that out are over 200 scenarios and the WestPac Battleset. Try out this great new version of the classic Harpoon!
karpftj

RE: Wish List Thread

Post by karpftj »

Most of the following are of most use for the computer opponent.

1) When launching aircraft (whether to attack, ferry, or patrol), have a 'launch via waypoint' option. This would, for example, allow you to launch strike aircraft from one base in Scandinavia and hit Keflavik from three different directions. This would be especially useful for having more intelligent attack options for the computer. Otherwise, it's easy to park defensive aircraft around Keflavik to defend the vectors that you KNOW the opponent will launch ground-based aircraft from.

2) When launching aircraft, have a 'loiter over unit' button that would allow an aircraft carrier to easily protect (i.e. CAP) other groups.

3) When launching patrol aircraft, have some way of setting a patrol area (either set a rectangular area, or perhaps define a radius within which to patrol). This would be especially helpful when sending out long-range ASW assets that are patrolling large areas of the ocean. Patrol aircraft that go to one fixed point are of limited use.

4) Make surface groups AFRAID of subs. There have been numerous times when I've charged a carrier group with a single SSN (i.e. running at max speed at any depth) and have had no problems closing to a couple of miles before sinking their carriers. Ideally, surface groups should treat subs that are detected at close range as ACTIVE TORPEDOES.

5) Carrier groups should aggressively prosecute attacks against detected subs. As long as the sub is detected, launch an ASW platform every couple of minutes. Don't depend on that single ASW helicopter to attack that sub.

6) Have the ability to set the posture of a group. Options might include 'Cautious - run away from enemy combatants', 'Sneaky - Move SLOWLY away from enemy combatants unless they get TOO close', 'Assertive - prosecute enemies you have a reasonable chance to defeat', and 'Aggressive - Attack the closest opponent at maximum speed'.

7) Have a way to temporarily toggle the visibility of various types of units (i.e. Mine, Enemy, My Weapons, Enemy Weapons) to make it easier to select your sub that's being attacked from eight different directions by torpedoes that are less than two miles away.

8) Have a way to launch a 'shotgun' attack from a group of aircraft. There have been cases ('The Carriers Move North' and 'Land of Fire and Ice') where I KNOW that there is a surface group in an area, but don't want to pop up and active the radar on my aircraft group. It would be useful to be able to launch a shotgun attack that would launch N groups of M missiles each, with all of the groups targeting a series of positions along a line somewhere. Now that trails for missile groups don't show up any more, it makes it difficult to neatly do something like that manually. This could be displayed either as N groups, or as a single group.
CV32

Post by CV32 »

ORIGINAL: karpftj
How about a way to launch an air attack (or just a patrol) with a via point?  That way you could set up a multi-axis attack against a target without needing to manage the assets once they've launched.  Specifically, this would be most helpful as a way to let the computer opponent get sneaky.  Otherwise, it's relatively easy to set up picket aircraft on the vector that you KNOW ground-based aircraft will take.

Far more useful than a scramble button, imho.
Brad Leyte
HC3 development group member for HCE
Author of HCDB official database for HCE
Harpgamer.com Co-Owner
karpftj

Post by karpftj »

Forgot two more:

1)  When creating a course, have a toggle for 'sub avoidance'.  This will turn the ACTUAL path (not the path drawn by the user) into one that makes 90 degree turns every some number of miles (each leg would vary between five and ten miles).   The net effect of this would be that the group would essentially be following the path at 71% of the speed the group is told to move.

2)  When creating a course, have a toggle for 'sprint and drift'.  This would turn the ACTUAL path (again, not the path drawn by the user) into one with speed changes every some number of miles that results in the group spending half the distance traveled moving at CREEP speed and the other half at whatever speed the group is told to move.
VictorInThePacific

Post by VictorInThePacific »

8) Have a way to launch a 'shotgun' attack from a group of aircraft. There have been cases ('The Carriers Move North' and 'Land of Fire and Ice') where I KNOW that there is a surface group in an area, but don't want to pop up and active the radar on my aircraft group. It would be useful to be able to launch a shotgun attack that would launch N groups of M missiles each, with all of the groups targeting a series of positions along a line somewhere. Now that trails for missile groups don't show up any more, it makes it difficult to neatly do something like that manually. This could be displayed either as N groups, or as a single group.

Would bearing-only-launch (keyboard b) be useful for this?
karpftj

Post by karpftj »

ORIGINAL: VictorInThePacific
Now that trails for missile groups don't show up any more, it makes it difficult to neatly do something like that manually. This could be displayed either as N groups, or as a single group.

Would bearing-only-launch (keyboard b) be useful for this?

That's the way I did it in Harpoon Classic. As I mentioned, since WEAPON trails don't show up any more, it is now MUCH harder to do neatly. Previously, I could SEE the paths that had already been set up.

On the other hand, if the OK/CANCEL dialog for 'did you want to do a bearing only attack' had a KEYBOARD way of clicking OK, I could simply keep the mouse pointed at the PREVIOUS target, and could easily select a new position just a little to the north, west, whatever. Since the OK button isn't the DEFAULT choice in that dialogue, doing this sort of attack gets messier.
PongoDeMer

Post by PongoDeMer »

There are those of us who, once something juicy, like an enemy carrier group, has been located, will swamp it with wave after wave of smart missiles, such as Harpoon. When the enemy shipboard munitions are finally depleted, their fate becomes inevitable.

Unfortunately, in real-life, the numbers of smart munitions are limited. For example, I seem to remember that only 7000 Harpoon units have been produced so far, the U.S. currently possesses 500 or so of various types, and Taiwan has approximately 50. I would make a wild (and uneducated) guess that the Royal Navy possesses between 150 and 200 units. Please, please feel free to correct me if any/all of this is wide of the mark[8D][8D]

Would it be a practical modification to limit the numbers of smart munitions available to shore bases and aircraft carriers? If this were done, those of us who are smart munition junkies would be forced to change our ways and consequently be compelled to develop more realistic tactics if we are to have a cat's chance in hell of winning[&:]

Just a thought...

Pongo
"They said this mystery would never cease: the Priest promotes war, the Soldier peace." William Blake
CV32

Post by CV32 »

ORIGINAL: PongoDeMer
Would it be a practical modification to limit the numbers of smart munitions available to shore bases and aircraft carriers? If this were done, those of us who are smart munition junkies would be forced to change our ways and consequently be compelled to develop more realistic tactics if we are to have a cat's chance in hell of winning[&:]
Just a thought...

Absolutely it would, but unfortunately we don't have a logistics model in HCE presently and it would be quite a large undertaking to create one.

Until that happens, I expect we're stuck with the scenario author trying to put artificial limits on the player's weapons inventory (or the player voluntarily limiting himself).

In the interim, there's a thread at HG for suggestions and discussion about what a logistics model might or should look like.
Brad Leyte
HC3 development group member for HCE
Author of HCDB official database for HCE
Harpgamer.com Co-Owner
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

Wishes to this point have been added to the master wishlist at http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.php?showtopic=3071 (well, I need to do more formatting but it'll be up before I go to bed in an hour or less).
Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
Nilus

Post by Nilus »

1: Proportional climb/descent altitude aircraft/helo like HANW 3 (HCE immediately passes low/hight without middle)
2: Implement I.A. ROE with possibility of attack only after enemy attack or provocation (like route blocked or aircraft flying thru enemy naval formation)
3: Elevation of the land or island affects the radar sensors
4: Show all course/path units of the faction
5: Multiplayer support for HCE
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

ORIGINAL: Nilus

1: Proportional climb/descent altitude aircraft/helo like HANW 3 (HCE immediately passes low/hight without middle)
2: Implement I.A. ROE with possibility of attack only after enemy attack or provocation (like route blocked or aircraft flying thru enemy naval formation)
3: Elevation of the land or island affects the radar sensors
4: Show all course/path units of the faction

General note boys & girls, please don't make a wishlist both here and at HarpGamer. We'd much prefer you make them at HarpGamer as they are easier to track there. btw, your #4 has been implemented a while ago (as noted at your HG copy of Wishlist).

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
hermanhum

Harpoon Classic scenarios

Post by hermanhum »

ORIGINAL: Nilus

[snip]

It seems apparent that you already own ANW so I'll ask 'How many games of ANW MP (or any other wargame) have you played?'
Brisbin

Post by Brisbin »

Sub acceleration rates so that submarines do not automatically go to full speed.  I heard the russian Alpha class submarine had very good acceleration but most subs take a while to reach full speed.
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

ORIGINAL: Brisbin

Sub acceleration rates so that submarines do not automatically go to full speed.  I heard the russian Alpha class submarine had very good acceleration but most subs take a while to reach full speed.

Out of curiosity, how would you characterize platform acceleration? The H4.1 paper rules have acceleration and turn guidelines but how would you define them?
Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
Brisbin

Post by Brisbin »

I am not sure.
donaldseadog

Post by donaldseadog »

Wish list items to this point incorporated in the consolidated wish list at Harpgamer http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.php?showtopic=3071
(or will be soon).
Don Thomas

Return to “Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition”