Comments/bugs from the demo

This forum is for official support and troubleshooting FAQs.
CapnDarwin

Comments/bugs from the demo

Post by CapnDarwin »

I just got back from a business trip and decided to give the demo a spin. I ran across a few items that I thought I would post on.
1. I know you only get a three campaign, but you can't save it. Hitting save game causes an error and DTD. Either disable the button or allow the save.
2. There is no entry in the manual covering the AGM-84 Harpoon that is in the load out screen.
3. The explosion animation for a ground target needs to be fixed to get rid of the black mask that shows. Be nice to see a more realistic explostion graphic too. The greenish smoke does not look that good.
4. I find it a bit tough at times to track the action with infomation popping up in several places at one time. It would be nice to have bandit attacks pop up in a dialog showing who is shooting what at whom and then what option I have to perform. Then show centralized results.
5. I agree with other folks comments on having more improved sounds cues for various actions in game.
6. Other then a few graphics files, there is no real editing/mod capability in the game. This will limit the appeal to some folks who like to make scenarios/campaigns/data changes.
7. I also vote for a slightly more realistic loadout screen for the aircraft. The F-18 only has a certain number of hardpoint capable of certain loads (the info for the F-18 is in your manual). It would be nice to have the plane loaded in a manner fitting the platform. This would also take care of the pods issues and unrealistic loadouts. Missions alos have a weight reduction involved and I have no idea what that is about. The temperature may have some minor impact on payload carriedbut that should lower the total payload weight by a fraction not cut hardpoints. I should still be able to carry 6 sidewinders and two sparrows on a hot day (if I have hardpoints that can use them).
8. Why is there no chance of a suppresion attack to kill an enemy unit? It should be possible for a wingman to suppress by killing the target. If not what bonus is there toward suppresion since the shot can't kill?
9. Why is there no provision for wingman coverage and how is it the strike package can have an odd number of birds in it?
10. Does the game provide an "off board" support like EA-6's or other SEAD effects to help my flight in and out?
11. Why can't my F-18's achieve multiple lock ons and shots with the AIM-120?
12. It would be nice to have Suppresion capable weapons highlighted when an aircraft is chosen.
New - 13. The AGM-88 Harm should have a range of 2 when compared to the range performance of the AIM-120 at 2. Most sources of information show the range of the Harm to be equal to or greater then the 120. The Shrike is a range 1 or less type weapon like a Sidewinder in range performance.

Sorry for the long list. The game is fun but I feel it could be a bit better with a little tweaking.

Thanks.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
StormcloudCreations

RE: Comments/bugs from the demo

Post by StormcloudCreations »

Thanks for all your thoughts...they're appreciated. We hope you consider supporting this game anyway, as we do plan on adding more improvements and things to the game.
Derek
Lead Programmer of Hornet Leader PC
Mindtoy Games - Unique Strategy/Board/Card games for the PC - mindtoygames.com
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Derek,

I have a nice full shelf of Matrix Games and I'm sure this one will make the list as will a few other new releases. All I need to do is find the time to play them all. [:D] Oh well, back to working Russian artillery data. No rest for the wicked...

Umbriel

Post by Umbriel »

Just few answer :

7 - weight point are choose cause of the distance of the target. The Hornet get more external fuel containers, so less space for others weapons. And if the target is deep in ennemy territory : no aerial refuel is possible. So the Hornet must have a large charge of fuel onboard.

9 - suppression is a wingman cover, dont it ?

11 - I know that F14 can lock and shoot 6 targets at the same time (thanks to the Rio, the AIM54 and the excellent onboard radar). But I dont know if the F18 can do. But it is more a pb of game balance than realistic way. If you allow to one of your Fast pilot (for example Wedge and his +2 Ata) to shoot 4 - 8 bandits in the first run, it change the game balance a lot.

edit : i try the demo and really enjoy the game.

What i like :
- easy way to play when you already know the HL bases.
- addictive game :)

What i dont like / what could be improved :
- graphism :/ really basic :s : you can imagine a satellite view for the background, with the target. Hornet / bandits / site with realistic colors (shadows on the hornet to show their altitude)... Animation for missile launch ? crater where the missile miss :) same for bomb... animation for displacement etc etc...

- see point 7 for more realistical representation of the Hornet's Load.

- altitude for bandit : important for dogfight (gun to gun).

- a way to create custom / ramdom campaign : random target, weapon, event and so on.

- More xp level for pilot :
as i said in a another thread :
take the basic xp to level and take the double for the next level ^^
for example : dino is a green, need 4 xp to go to the next level. When he reached it, he need 8 more to go to next.. then 16 and so on.
To each lvl, a pilot gain one of this item (choose randomly by AI) :
+1 Ata / AtG
+2 Ata
+2 AtG
speed change : slow to fast.
Cool +1
The fact to double the xp need to level will limit the level of a pilot, even on a long campaign :)

- group displacement... Possibility to draw a window with multiple hornets and displace them at the same time, same for altitude ! (on a 10 hornets mission, it is really boring !).

- CAG and Cold War expansion ????
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Umbriel,

#7-Distance would make sense. Be nice to see some graphical representation on the map to get a feel for that.
#9-Yes and no. The targeted aircraft can fire in self defense so it is really not a wingman feel to it nor can you kill the target.
#11- Yep, game balance would be a bit of an issue but the radar system is capable of multi-target track and shoot with the AIM-120. Same issue would be faced against the latest Russian fighters too.

Return to “Hornet Leader PC Support”