NO HARPOON MISSILES????

In Hornet Leader PC, you command a squadron of the U.S. Navy’s elite F/A-18 Hornet Strike Fighters! You select the pilots and arm the aircraft based on real-world mission briefings. Once you reach your objective, you evaluate threats, and do what needs to be done to destroy the target!

Moderator: MOD_HornetLeaderPC

Harpooner

NO HARPOON MISSILES????

Post by Harpooner »

I am looking over the features for the game Hornet Leader and look over the featured weapon systems available. I see the AIM-7 (ancient, I say!)mentioned, but I couldn't find any mention America's primer anti-ship weapon---the AGM-84 Harpoon missile!

I hope I'm wrong, but since the feature didn't mention the Harpoon missile, this excellent weapon is not added. So doesn't the game incorporate anti-shipping mission as well?

I seek some clarification on this matter as I decide whether to buy this game. Thanks in advance...
He who never tries...never fails.
Terminus

RE: NO HARPOON MISSILES????

Post by Terminus »

No anti-shipping, thus no Harpoons... And the AIM-7 was still in full use in 1986 and 1991 when two of the games campaigns take place.

I wouldn't buy it right now, if it were me. Some very nasty bugs have popped up in the latest patch, which significantly impact gameplay.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
StormcloudCreations

Post by StormcloudCreations »

Actually only a few bugs are present, and one is entirely avoidable. The other (with "invisible" bandits) doesn't happen all the time, and doesn't usually significantly impact play except with a few specific targets.
Derek
Lead Programmer of Hornet Leader PC
Mindtoy Games - Unique Strategy/Board/Card games for the PC - mindtoygames.com
TonyAAA

Post by TonyAAA »

Err---It's not in the manual, but the AGM-84 is in the game. It appears to be the SLAM version.

Also, isn't America's premier anti-ship weapon the MK-48 ADCAP?

flintlock

AGM-84 are available

Post by flintlock »

Yes, as Tony mentioned, the AGM-84 SLAM is in the game. I'm always using Special Options Points to arm aircraft with them.

This following screenshot below is from the Libya 1986 Campaign:
Terminus

RE: AGM-84 are available

Post by Terminus »

Yes, yes, bravo... The LAND ATTACK version of the Harpoon is in, and that's not what was asked about...[8|]

I'm still disappointed in Hornet Leader as it stands right now. It was a very fine game when it was released, and I played it with great enjoyment, but post-1.2 it's not as good anymore. The disappearing bandit/SAM site/wingman problem is not as negligible as some might think.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
flintlock

Post by flintlock »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Yes, yes, bravo... The LAND ATTACK version of the Harpoon is in, and that's not what was asked about...[8|]
I'm aware of what the OP asked, which is why I simply confirmed the SLAM version of the AGM-84 is in the game, as pointed out by another poster.
Adam Parker

Post by Adam Parker »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

I'm still disappointed in Hornet Leader as it stands right now. It was a very fine game when it was released, and I played it with great enjoyment, but post-1.2 it's not as good anymore. The disappearing bandit/SAM site/wingman problem is not as negligible as some might think.

I was just about to reinstall this game on my new PC, had the disc all ready...

It goes back on the shelf again, sadly...
mack2

Post by mack2 »

Did Harpoon have land attack capability in 1986? I thought the SLAM was only introduced in the late 90's?
StormcloudCreations

Post by StormcloudCreations »

From what i've read, it was introduced in the mid 80's sometime.
Derek
Lead Programmer of Hornet Leader PC
Mindtoy Games - Unique Strategy/Board/Card games for the PC - mindtoygames.com
TonyAAA

Post by TonyAAA »

ORIGINAL: mack2

Did Harpoon have land attack capability in 1986? I thought the SLAM was only introduced in the late 90's?

According to the below link:

http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/m-84.html

"Development of SLAM began in 1986 as an interim precision-attack missile pending delivery of the AGM-137 TSSAM (Tri-Service Standoff Attack Missile), and the first all-up AGM-84E rounds were delivered in November 1988. SLAM became operational with the U.S. Navy in 1990, just ready for a few missiles to be used in action in Operation Desert Storm in early 1991."

Return to “Hornet Leader PC”