Screen Res Question

In Hornet Leader PC, you command a squadron of the U.S. Navy’s elite F/A-18 Hornet Strike Fighters! You select the pilots and arm the aircraft based on real-world mission briefings. Once you reach your objective, you evaluate threats, and do what needs to be done to destroy the target!

Moderator: MOD_HornetLeaderPC

Apocal

RE: Screen Res Question

Post by Apocal »

Count me in the numbers who can't play the game. Although the poll might be a bit skewed, because if the game runs fine the person isn't as likely to come to the forum, whereas someone with problems is, in pursuit of tech support.

The reason I use a laptop is I go on frequent overseas trips and dragging a desktop along is just too much.

barcelonablom

Post by barcelonablom »

Any word on when we can see anything? Didn't mean that literally in this sense... [:D]

Turns out something is jacked up with my desktop and I can't get it working...
Wolfe1759

Post by Wolfe1759 »

Count me in as one who has bought it but cant use it.

I admit it is my own stupid fault for getting a bit over keen having enjoyed the origional board/card version and clicking through on an impulse buy before even thinking about checking the specs.

Now I'm keenly awaiting a patch turning up that will let me play it as the bits I can see do look good.
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
87Ranger

Post by 87Ranger »

Reading the posts I noticed that Derek says that most monitors made in the last few years can handle Hornet Leader. I must be missing something because I just bought a 19" flatscreen and have a 256mb video card and my resolution only goes to like 14something to 900.

I think this is a great idea for a game, and I bought it thinking I would upgrade to a nice flat screen from my huge 17" inch monitor. No dice I guess because I have fiddled around with the settings and I still get to a point where I can pick pilots but can't move on.

In this age of niche gaming, where the prices are ever increasing, you would think that game developers would make it easier rather than harder to run these sims. I realize that there is a lot to put into a screen, but with no work around, your surely going to niche yourself right out of many would be buyers. (Yeah, all those with the laptops too.)

I guess I'll have to wait until I can upgrade to a twenty inch, or pray for a patch.
TonyAAA

Post by TonyAAA »

Count me in the group that can play it fine---works great on my 10 year old 21" SGIs.
StormcloudCreations

Post by StormcloudCreations »

87: Hmm...strange. Rarely have I heard of a newer monitor and video system that only went that high. I did do a survey on here before release in this thread to determine the viability of this res, and at the time, 88+% were able to run it. I have learned a hard-won lesson though; future releases through Matrix will probably use 1024x768 as the base res (scaling up could be an option of course).
Derek
Lead Programmer of Hornet Leader PC
Mindtoy Games - Unique Strategy/Board/Card games for the PC - mindtoygames.com
87Ranger

Post by 87Ranger »

It could be that I am doing something wrong. The tweaks I'm working with are the obvious and I could be missing something that I could adjust. If ANYone has any ideas, that would be great.
flintlock

Post by flintlock »

ORIGINAL: StormcloudCreations

Hmm...strange. Rarely have I heard of a newer monitor and video system that only went that high.
1440x900 is the maximum resolution on many newer laptop displays and 19" widescreen desktop LCDs.
flintlock

Post by flintlock »

ORIGINAL: 87Ranger

It could be that I am doing something wrong.
It looks as though your monitor has a maximum resolution of 1440x900 (typical on 19" widescreen LCDs). Since HLPC is locked at 1280 pixels horizontally, your display will stretch it the extra 160 pixels, but you're out of luck vertically. What you have is a 8:5 aspect ratio widescreen resolution trying to accommodate a 5:4 locked resolution that's displaying 124 additional pixels vertically than your display has available.
87Ranger

Post by 87Ranger »

Even with new stuff some things just don't work....Bummer[:@]
flintlock

Post by flintlock »

Hornet Leader really is a great game, so I'd definitely hang in there as Dan and company seem genuinely committed to continue ongoing support of this wonderful title. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there was a patch released down the road which may resolve this issue for you and others.
rmielech

Post by rmielech »

87: Hmm...strange. Rarely have I heard of a newer monitor and video system that only went that high.

I'm stuck in the same boat, and my monitor's not old. Obviously there's more of a problem than was foreseen. Otherwise we wouldn't be discussing it. Restricting the game to this resolution was a huge gaffe. This is literally the only game I can't play on my system, and it's because of that. I find it hard to believe this happened, survey or not. I sure as hell would never have released it this way, and I wouldn't have needed any survey to come to that conclusion.
bink

Post by bink »

87: Hmm...strange. Rarely have I heard of a newer monitor and video system that only went that high.

Stormcloud,

I am surprised that you still feel it is "rare" for a "newer monitor" to only go that high.

I presented some data to you in a previous post in this thread, back in August 07 (relating to Q1 2007 data), showing that about 40% of desktop and LCD displays shipped in Q1 2007 could NOT run Hornet Leader - I hardly call this "rare"

Furthermore, you only need to take an anecdotal look at new computers being sold to see that is is VERY common for newer monitors to have limited resolution. For example, Dell offers 17" and 19" widescreen monitors that max out at 1440x900. You have to go to a 20" monitor to jump to 1680x1050 resolution. It is a similar situation with notebooks - most consumer notebooks come with a 1280x800 resolution.

I don't think you can say it is "rare"!
Alex777

Post by Alex777 »

Here's 1 more consumer who would buy HL if it would display properly on my 1280 x 800 laptop.

seydlitz_slith

Post by seydlitz_slith »

Interested in the game, but not with the current fixed resolution.   The poll is somewhat misleading.  While my desktop rig may be able to run in the fix resolution required (meaning I answered yes), it is certainly not a resolution that I would want to run it at. Both my desktop (1600x1050) and laptop (17" widescreen multimedia unit) do not look good with that particular resolution.   If the poll were reworded to say   "I am fine with the current locked resolution" or "The resolution must be adjustable to fit my system/preference" then I think that the answer would overwhelmingly be in favor of adjustable resolution.  Also, If I have a desktop and a laptop, but the game will only work on the desktop, saying "well you should still buy because you can play on your desktop" isn't adequate at all if my intent was to be able to play on my laptop most of the time.
Herr Colonel

Post by Herr Colonel »

ORIGINAL: bink

For example, Dell offers 17" and 19" widescreen monitors that max out at 1440x900. You have to go to a 20" monitor to jump to 1680x1050 resolution. It is a similar situation with notebooks - most consumer notebooks come with a 1280x800 resolution.

I should have paid more attention instead of opening an entire new thread about this...sigh.

Anyway, as I said there, I have a Vaio that's not quite a year old that goes to 1440 x 900. My desktop is old and rickety and I don't use it for anything anymore, except as a platform for my kids to play on. So, this is my main gaming rig, and it is indeed a bummer to not be able to run it. My $0.02.

If this is a target for a future update, though, I can wait. :)
Michael Eckenfels
Matrix Games Writer/Editor
I_need_help

Post by I_need_help »

I just bought the game and could not play it but Erik's suggestion (and the latest Nvidia drivers) did the trick!

NefariousKoel

Post by NefariousKoel »

Erik's suggestion, unfortunately, doesn't work on many widescreen monitors.  MMV, yep.
Monkie

Post by Monkie »

I have been a fan of the Thunderbolt /Apache leader leader board game and was excited about the opportunity to have the same experience using my laptop with Hornet Leader (I travel for a living and a desktop is not an option). Unfortunatley I'm stuck with 1280x800 with a brand new Dell M1530 XPS laptop and the demo won't work with that screen size. If this gets corrected I'd purchase the game for sure. Thanks for this thread so we can give you some feedback.

JC
Scott_WAR

Post by Scott_WAR »

Wow, sorry I didnt see this game in time to warn you. I have seen this before,........ you MUST make the game able to use more than one resolution unless you use 800X600. Even requiring 1024x768 will cost you a lot of sales. Yes a LOT of people still use 800X600, and if you exclude them from buying your games, you just cut your potential sales by at least 50%.

Also always bear in mind that wargamers dont tend to have top of the line hardware, especially in the graphics department, since most wargames just dont require a really good video card.

Return to “Hornet Leader PC”