help with xml

Post your mods for Hired Guns here.
primalplow

help with xml

Post by primalplow »

where can i get help with finding things in the xml files.
jp
Reinforce

RE: help with xml

Post by Reinforce »

Try Microsoft Office. That'll open XML files into an easy to read format. Open office will open them as well I've been told but if you save it you'll currupt the file.

Much Love,
Reinforce
primalplow

Post by primalplow »

I found an XML editor last night when i was reading the forums. I did i search for rarity and phase but only came up with one result and no values to change. I try looking through the file further on my own and I think I found values but they don't have any labels.
jp
Reinforce

Post by Reinforce »

This is what your looking for.

You see the Peach colored sectons? That's the numbers you need to change. First row to 10 second row to 0.

Much Love,
Reinforce

PS thats MS Office 2007
primalplow

Post by primalplow »

I've been using excel 2003 on my moms computer to edit the files. kinda a pain I have to mail the files to myself, download, edit, mail, download. pain in the butt. you wouldn't happen to know of a free editor i can use. I tryed one of the ones listen in the forum but it doesnt view the file the way i need it to.

JP
jp
Reinforce

Post by Reinforce »

Well no free XML editor will work to be honest. From what I've been told and seen myself they all change how the file is saved. So when you boot the game you get an error that your files currupt. Unless there's some way to change the formate with how you save them.... might be a plugin if you look hard enough. I just got my brothers copy of MS office for the modding I did. Your best bet would be to eather buy a copy of MS Office or to get the 60 day trial for MS office. Beyond that I think your out of luck... unless you wanna use like.. note pad.

Much Love,
Reinforce
xeryx

Post by xeryx »

You should really try a dedicated editor, but we all have preferences. I use many different programs depending on the type of files I am editing.

If you really want to use a simple but very reliable xml editor, try XML Marker from Symblock it is freeware and has NEVER failed me or screwed up my files. Download Here

This is after 2 years of modding .xml files heavily. I have used many editors and I still use this one today, plus it is basic error checking!
Reinforce

Post by Reinforce »

Hmm thanks for the info Xeryx I'll have to look into that and see how it handles.. Would be less disk space then MS Office.

Much Love,
Reinforce
bartholimew

Post by bartholimew »

ORIGINAL: Reinforce

Hmm thanks for the info Xeryx I'll have to look into that and see how it handles.. Would be less disk space then MS Office.

Much Love,
Reinforce

You ll be disappointed, an excel file is a simple spreadsheet in this game where one changes numbers and attributes listed in rows and columns. XML marker does not come close to fulfilling this role.
blemishednicely

Post by blemishednicely »

Well no free XML editor will work to be honest. From what I've been told and seen myself they all change how the file is saved. So when you boot the game you get an error that your files currupt. Unless there's some way to change the formate with how you save them.... might be a plugin if you look hard enough. I just got my brothers copy of MS office for the modding I did. Your best bet would be to eather buy a copy of MS Office or to get the 60 day trial for MS office. Beyond that I think your out of luck... unless you wanna use like.. note pad.

Pretty much, lot of posts about OpenOffice..I tried it and remember some success but I think it was pretty minor, as in only checkboxes for weap_upgrades or only numerical values, any typed alphabetical description "X"-mark's aside blew it out (as in reopen to see a totally blank file/white-out). Believe I remember some query over altering format upon saving-yes is BAD, no would also occ reject my changes altogether.The only way OpenOffice proved useful was in a hybrid attempt to use it as a visual map/aide & run text editor (this is ugly as text is set in for EVERYTHING...remember the peach color and fonts in Reinforce's shot? Imagine describing that in a letter). For this I chose 'cooktop2.0'(or somev#), & I personally found its readout less confusing than most(still had limits tho, partic in add-ons 4weap's&checking/un-checking)---tho i abandoned these (after 'nationalising' a living room copy of MSOff2007) LONG before finding XMLNotepad or NP++(which has XML plug-ins, but hanna tried them still-tho I got them in there)

P.S.
It's been SOoo long but I think if I remember right my only success in alphabetical changes
in OpenOffice were via cut/paste methods. Is similar to MS in setup, near useless as far as compatibility goes-VERY LIMITED.....having actually used MS OffXML if you don't have I'd suggest trial editions (unless they are limited to point of death/suck-mine's FULL&legit) your mod, if not life WILL become easier. Full prog's still a bit pricy but it'd be worth it---tho heard most vers's outside of '03&'07 also corrupt/have also heard you can deny changing format/style or something (it prompts you, disagree) and all is good but again, dunno
I mean think about it, the Y chromosome is really just an incomplete X...

Return to “Mods”