[Deleted]

Harpoon 3 Advanced Naval Warfare is the result of decades of development and fan support, resulting in the most comprehensive, realistic, and accurate simulation of modern combined air and naval operations available to the gaming public. New features include, multiplayer support, third party databases, scenario editors, and OVER 300 pre-built scenarios!

Moderator: Harpoon 3

Erik Rutins

RE: Harpoon Series FAQ

Post by Erik Rutins »

Alex,

Sorry I missed this earlier. The Professional version is available directly through AGSI. If you need their contact info, please e-mail me at erikr@matrixgames.com. Thanks for your interest.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
captainfred

Post by captainfred »

Two questions if I may:

1. Will later versions or perhaps later patches have some kind of background music to kill off the deadly silence whilst we're in the mids of battle.  It would surely calm the nerves [:)]; and

2.  Will the crew member be given the ability of providing a bearing when announcing incoming contacts and threats (ie missiles, torps etc).
Capt Fred Image
Harpoon 3 ANW 3.7.0; Starshatter-TGS v1.0
AMD XP 2.3GHz,512Mb DDR333 RAM,GeForce 5200 256Mb,Latest RealTek® Onboard AC'97 Sound Drivers,Win XP HE
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Fred try killing harpoon sounds in your configuration and playing your music in the background (with whatever you use).
augustus

Post by augustus »

This was mentioned quite briefly in the main FAQ post, but I would like more info on the difference between Harpoon 3 ANW and Harpoon Classic (with commander's edition coming out soon):

Specifically, you described HC as being more on the strategic level, and H3 being more of a tactical game. Can you explain more about how each game models battles/scenarios differently, such that one is more strategic and the other tactical? Even though it said that both can model large battles, there must be some difference in how units are controlled or something.
hermanhum

Post by hermanhum »

I play both versions of the game and, personally, cannot see the difference in scenario design.

Both games are able to model battles that span both sides of the Atlantic. You can make big and small scenarios with either game. Harpoon 3 allows you to make scenarios covering any part of the world while Harpoon Classic covers about 80% of the globe. The areas not covered in HC are S. America and much Africa.
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Plenty of differences in the games but the biggest is probably detail.

AGSI does a pretty good job differentiating the two on its pages:

http://www.advancedgaming.biz

TerryV06

Post by TerryV06 »

Is Harpoon 3 ever going to drop slightly in price or go on sale? I had all of the previous Harpoons and have hesitated to buy this at $49.

Terry
Terry Van Domelen
FransKoenz

Post by FransKoenz »

I have a question [in fact a request[:)]]

Is it possible to create readiness times for ships and submarines? [just like the aircraft]

Cheers,
Frans.
BurntFingers

Post by BurntFingers »

Er... why would any surface or sub unit NOT be ready? [&:]

Serving on a warship is not a nine-to-five job... come to that, any sort of military service.

I don't work here. I just collect the glasses to get a beer quicker.
FreekS

Post by FreekS »

Well, I've had warships in harbour, ordered the player to leave them in harbour and created an on-station viccond to verify the player did that (2nd Lebanese war/Unifil.scn). Having a readiness-time for ships could have made that easier!

Freek
BurntFingers

Post by BurntFingers »

<scratches head>

But if a sub/ship isn't ready, you can't order it/change loadouts/do anything with it.

Plus... I didin't think there were harbour facilities in ANW? [&:] I remember them in Classic but not anything later.
FransKoenz

Post by FransKoenz »

ORIGINAL: BurntFingers

For several possible reasons........

Loading goods, ammo, fuel [not every country do operate replenishment vessels],
To repair damage,
Normal maintenance periods,
The scenario designer likes it

Being attacked by the enemy between Friday 17:00 and Monday 09:00 IS NOT DONE!!![:D][:D]

Bungle

Post by Bungle »

ORIGINAL: BurntFingers

Is this based on research, experience or opinion? [&:]

Serving on a warship is not a nine-to-five job... come to that, any sort of military service.

Are you suggesting that all military personel are at 52/7/24/60 readiness? Equipment included............

I think you may find that men and equipment are very rarely at 'five minutes' or 'full readiness' or any other term you may wish to use. Ships dont sail around with all crew at stations 24/7 and they are not left with the engines running (other than for gen. purposes) and one up the spout when at dock. Im pretty sure that shore leave is still recomended for crew morale as well, including hostilities! [;)]

In fact I think it is a damn good question, readiness in whilst in harbour, good one! Opens up some interesting scenario questions, damn interesting!

Yeah chuck us the keys Im just taking Broadswork for a quick oncer round lands end, ok rear guv? Wodya mean Im gunna need some crew and warm 'er up a bit? [:D]
The Bungle

"As so often happens, it's the self-proclaimed
peacemakers that you really have to watch out for."

BurntFingers

Post by BurntFingers »

ORIGINAL: Taitennek

The scenario designer likes it

Then the Scenario Editor could just use the database editor to create a non-ready unit. No difference between doing that and tinkering with the game engine. Of course, the unit would not switch from being a dead weight to being a live unit...

Yeah, it would mean distributing a custom database with the scenario - so what?

Multiplayer forces a new database download anyway, to make sure players are playing from the same one.

IF it was a case of deciding which mission a ship would prosecute - that's a different issue. But it's not like ships carry different loadouts like planes do.

All that's going to happen is that scenario writers will be delighted at the opportunities to screw up players fun.

Players will hate it.
ORIGINAL: Bungle
Is this based on research, experience or opinion? :confused:

It's based on the fact that when a player clicks on a unit, they expect that unit to respond. Not a "sorry, we're too busy polishing the brass" message.

I'm sure you get my point. Yes, I get your point that ships are not at Action Stations 24/7, but the point is the watches are continuous. It's not like everyone goes to sleep by midnight or there's no one at the wheel from 0200-0600.

Don't get me wrong here - there could be a very good idea at the bottom of this.

I just don't see it myself. Then again I haven't played with the scenario editor for very long.
FransKoenz

Post by FransKoenz »

It's based on the fact that when a player clicks on a unit, they expect that unit to respond. Not a "sorry, we're too busy polishing the brass" message.

That would be annoying too.....[;)], I mean the message....

Ships sometimes must stay in harbor because of all kind of [periodly] duties. Some of them were discribed in earlier topic.
Harpoon is a game about reality, designers [ I am one of them] are looking for the most realistic circumstances in their scenario.
When Aircraft logistics are possible, why not the same for ships/submarines? [imo, technically it is not a problem, or?]

But, talking about messaging, there are many possibillities/reasons available:
1 of them could be:

Unit is docked, est. time readiness time is 14:00 hrs. [example].

Implement 2-3 standard messages for such situations, the player would understand.
Playing HC, messages are rather realistic.... "malfunction of Mk141 VLS" or the vessel that runs on the ground.... etc. nice and sometimes frustrating messages. But that's all in the game.

My request does imo improve the game. I hope that AGSI can do something with it.[;)]

Cheers,
Frans

Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
analog

Post by analog »

Regarding ship ready times. (wonder what this has to do with the original post[8|])
A possible work around would be to place a ship in the scene with empty magazines or very little fuel so that it cannot go very far, and force a replenishment ship to rendevous with it. The time delay for the unit can be set by the distance between the ship and replenishment unit.

Command players do it with frequency.

Return to “Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare”