Immersive, Innovative Game Play with Class

Frozen Synapse is a thrilling PC strategy game that brings the simultaneous turn-based strategy genre bang up-to-date and lets you give detailed, accurate orders to your squad. Plan your moves, test them out, then hit the "Execute" button: both you and your enemy's turns are executed simultaneously.
Adam Parker

Immersive, Innovative Game Play with Class

Post by Adam Parker »

I haven't visited Matrix for a long while and on doing so the other day was surprised to see this title at the top of the New Release list.

I had no idea what it was so ventured to the Product Information thread. It was somewhat helpful - turn based, infantry, tactical action, man on man. campaign, theme etc. $25.00 AUD made for very little risk. Finding reviews via the other thread here was easy... and the video gameplay review from the Cynical Brit sealed it for me! Is that the most enthusiastic review ever? [:D]

Well, the download was easy to arrange and wow. What a truly well thought-out game this is. Full of action. Immediate tactical problem solving. 1-click skirmishing. The ability to play off-line easily and folks - there IS an in-game manual included via a menu.

One thing that baffled me was the marketing of the game once purchased. I don't know exactly how long it has been up on the Matrix site but next day, it was buried below a host of bumped-up Close Combat titles that really have no right to be at the top of any New Release list. They're old games, old Matrix releases and from what I gather - still broken.

So Matrix, do give Frozen Synapse the attention it deserves. I've yet to plumb its depth but it looks to be great alternative to an old Avalon Hill boardgame I was planning to pick up mint sometime - Firepower.

Once again, it does come with a how-to/strategy-type manual - and for the life of me, I've been trying to drag myself away from the game for a couple of hours now. Definitely, one more play stuff. Useful video/interactive tutorials too.

Quick request - it would be great to be able to ESC through the title screens on loading. A minor thing but once seen, there's no real reason to view the developer's credits each time [;)]

More on game play later I hope - but for now, Kudos on a very innovative and solid design. Frozen Synapse deserves the rave reviews it has been getting so far imo. When you have a gem like this Matrix, you really should push it! [:)]

Happy gaming,
Adam.
Barthheart

RE: Immersive, Innovative Game Play with Class

Post by Barthheart »

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker
Quick request - it would be great to be able to ESC through the title screens on loading. A minor thing but once seen, there's no real reason to view the developer's credits each time [;)]

Just left click on each screen as it appears and it quickly disappears.

This is a fun game and the campaign is well done and interesting story line.
[8D]
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi Adam,
One thing that baffled me was the marketing of the game once purchased. I don't know exactly how long it has been up on the Matrix site but next day, it was buried below a host of bumped-up Close Combat titles that really have no right to be at the top of any New Release list. They're old games, old Matrix releases and from what I gather - still broken.

I'm very glad you're enjoying Frozen Synapse. We also find it to be an outstanding game. However, a couple of points in response to this paragraph:

1. Frozen Synapse was released on May 26th. It had top billing until June 21st, when the Close Combat titles were relaunched. The spotlight on Frozen Synapse is now the third one down from the top, though the CC titles have bumped it off the first page of the "What's New" bar, where it was the #1 game box shown from May 26th until this week.

2. The Close Combat titles are not only not "broken", they are much improved and more fun than the original releases ever were, in my opinion. I don't know what you're basing that on, but if you haven't played them yourself I'd encourage you to give them a try. All of them are a bargain for the gameplay and content.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Adam Parker

Post by Adam Parker »

Bart - thanks for the great tip! It works [&o] [:'(]

Hi Erik. Well, the placement order of a game in the New Releases list has a personal perceptive impact "on me". I guess I was lucky to find FS at the top of the list for imo, where it is now, says the following to me:

1. Matrix has released some new Close Combat Games - but on a closer look, hey! They're really the old Matrix releases with a new patch and purchase deal. I then think to myself, "this is just marketing hype" and don't bother looking further down the list for any other games for fear of more of the same.

2. Frozen Synapse is now down the list of new releases and its forum is fairly silent. I think to myself, "Matrix has already given up on this one, it must be a bomb". I therefore don't buy.

But because FS was at the top of the list at the time, it piqued my curiousity. I thought, "hey - a new game!" I then liked the potential of what I saw and bought it.

Please accept this marketing feedback in good faith Erik. Had FS not been easily noticable I'd have passed it by/not seen it at all to much regret. I'm not a regular Matrix visitor any more due to the spam bots [:(]. I just happened to be in the market for something new the other day and clicked your URL as a company I respect.
budd

Post by budd »

Agreed

This game is great fun, only played a little of the campaign but been playing online whenever i get time. This game has legs and a whole heap of potential.
budd
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

But because FS was at the top of the list at the time, it piqued my curiousity. I thought, "hey - a new game!" I then liked the potential of what I saw and bought it.

Please accept this marketing feedback in good faith Erik. Had FS not been easily noticable I'd have passed it by/not seen it at all to much regret. I'm not a regular Matrix visitor any more due to the spam bots [:(]. I just happened to be in the market for something new the other day and clicked your URL as a company I respect.

Sorry for being a bit late to this thread, but it's probably also worth mentioning that, unlike the CC series, Frozen Synapse is NOT a 'Matrix Game'. Every online retailer is selling it and there were at least two other options on day 1, including direct from the developers. Even had things not been as Erik described, that's a pretty good reason to plug stuff that is exclusive ahead of it.

Return to “Frozen Synapse”