A little feedback from a newbie...

Post bug reports and ask for tech support here.
Viper6

RE: A little feedback from a newbie...

Post by Viper6 »

I was able to reproduce the EW problem, looks to be tied in, in part, with the game ending, if you simply start a new game without having ended the previous game the EW level will not reset. If however you choose "end game" and then start a new game then the EW level will be set back to low. If however you end the game and exit, then launch the game and start a new scenario the EW level will not be reset.

Hopefully that helps in finding the problem.
Alex Clark - Viper
Flashpoint Germany Beta Test Team
Flashpoint Middle East Beta Test Team

Supervising Lighting and Sound Technician,
University of Minnesota, Morris
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Thanks guys, we probably have missed a line or two of code to read and set those items when restarting from an open session. I'll see if I can squeeze some time in this weekend to clean those items up. [:)]
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
FlipTrac_511

Post by FlipTrac_511 »

Hmmm...looks like Viper's getting the exact opposite of what I am.  Just to be clear, when I say 'reset' I mean the instensity level goes to 'low' if it was previously set at 'medium' or 'high'.  Either way, I'll let y'all take care of it! [:'(]
FlipTrac_511

Post by FlipTrac_511 »

I noticed another very minor discrepancy, a typo perhaps. Under the 'Select Scenario' menu, the scenario description on all the prebuilt scenarios indicate the time in 24-hour fashion; 0400 hours, 0800 hours, 1100 hours, and so forth. However, in the 'Bread and Butter' description, the time is typed 15:00 hours. Notice the " : " between the 15 and 00. It struck me odd that this was typed 15:00 hours and not 1500 hours following the format of the other descriptions.

I just remembered another one too: On more than a couple of occassions, during enemy turn (or I should say, during 'fight'), I noticed my artillery unit will display a 'waypoint trail' to its designated barrage target.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Wow! Finding all the loose ends will put us out of business. LOL [:D]

Once we get passed Origins this upcoming week I'll see if Rob and I can take some time to hit all of these issues and get out a minor update. Many of these items will need to be addressed in the new game since some of the code was ported over.

Keep on diggin'. [&o]

FlipTrac_511

Post by FlipTrac_511 »

Sorry sir. I probably should be emailing further 'reports' then?
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

FlipTrac,

Keep on digging up the bugs. Rob and I are so close to it we miss many things like this. Having eagle-eye players and testers makes for a better game and better future games too.

I also hope they get the NDA stuff worked out so we can get you in the Dev forum soon.

FlipTrac_511

Post by FlipTrac_511 »

Thanks.  I submitted my NDA via fax over a week ago.  I hope it wasn't lost.
FlipTrac_511

Post by FlipTrac_511 »

Still playing 'Behind Enemy Lines' here.  I just experienced two of my fresh mech infantry units move out of their dug-in suburban locations and into the open in full view of spotted enemy units.  Just prior to that they received some artillery (one turn only) and eliminated an enemy recon unit going into their location.  One was full strength the other just below strength, both had OK ammo and good morale, but both just became tired.  They were doing a great job holding off advancing enemy armor, but once they jumped into the waiting arms of advancing British, one was eliminated and the other was decimated.

I did not give them orders to move and if they were retreating why would they go in the direction of the enemy?  Their rear was totally friendly territory and the suburban area would've provided great cover.  Grrrr...
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

FlipTrac,

The move might have been a glitch in the AI. Do you have a savegame at that point? Even a screenshot might shed some light on things. I would think that the AI might have determined the fastest route out as the one away from the city but did not see the enemy. The code for movement in those situations is complex and possibly not 100% true to form. Just something else to tack on the list. I'm going to need to make a summary of all of this tonight so I can talk to Rob about it on Sunday.

Thanks for the info!!

Viper6

Post by Viper6 »

When I said "reset" I was also refering to the EW level being set to low. Sorry if I was confusing, from what I can tell from your posts we are experiancing the same thing. [:)]
I just remembered another one too: On more than a couple of occassions, during enemy turn (or I should say, during 'fight'), I noticed my artillery unit will display a 'waypoint trail' to its designated barrage target.
Wow, that's weird, I've never seen that happen before. Have you noticed anything that seems to effect it at all, such as ending the turn with all paths showing (the "w" key pressed)?

The retreat code can be weird sometimes, we spent alot of time tweaking it for 1.1 and I don't think it is still 100% good, sometimes units that take even a small amount of arty and some losses will decide that they would be better off somewhere else - and don't take the time to think that they way they want to go is closer to the enemy ... [:'(]
Alex Clark - Viper
Flashpoint Germany Beta Test Team
Flashpoint Middle East Beta Test Team

Supervising Lighting and Sound Technician,
University of Minnesota, Morris
FlipTrac_511

Post by FlipTrac_511 »

Wow, that's weird, I've never seen that happen before. Have you noticed anything that seems to effect it at all, such as ending the turn with all paths showing (the "w" key pressed)?

Viper, I always have 'Show all friendly wayponts' enabled (though I always have to enable it after each and every turn...it doesn't stick). So in effect, yeah, I'm ending the turn with the paths showing. Doesn't happen all the time but I can't pinpoint what's triggering it, unfortunately.
FlipTrac_511

Post by FlipTrac_511 »

Just a little follow up to my experience regarding the EW intensity resetting itself back to low:

I haven't been experiencing it at all lately.  I've moved on to a different scenario since the above issue and I think I may have discovered what was happening.

I think it has to do with my saved games.  I may have saved (or started rather) a particular game under low setting (inadvertently because I always play at med or high) and when I kept loading up that saved game it would revert to the original settings it was started (in this case EW-low) despite how I had the EW setting to medium at the front end.

Now I've been replaying a different saved game over and over and the EW setting remains where I left it at.  I gather because that's the EW level I saved it at.

I know reloading saved games are supposed to maintain settings at which they were started/saved with.  So in conclusion perhaps my error was failing to realize this fact in this matter.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

FlipTrac,

No big deal. We'll still look into things on it to make sure it is better understood then when the screens come up. It will be something we need to look at in the new game too so folks don't get confused. Keep reporting on what you see or what you think can be better. [:)]

Return to “Flashpoint Germany Support”