FG and Vista

Post bug reports and ask for tech support here.
Gudgey

FG and Vista

Post by Gudgey »

Hi,

I recently upgraded my PC to Windows Vista, and after a clean install started re-installing my games etc. When it came to Flashpoint Germany I installed it ok but, when I run the program I get an error message basically saying I have a missing file called D3DRM.dll which, is no longer included in Windows. Now I Googled the file, found it, and it's now sitting on my (very nice looking!) desktop but, I'm not sure which folder to copy it to.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Gudgey.
CapnDarwin

RE: FG and Vista

Post by CapnDarwin »

Happy Happy Joy Joy it is new OS time. Wow, I'd offer some tech advice but I'm slowly rebuilding my system after losing both my drives last week. Best guess out of the gate, unless someone else has it running would be to put that dll in the Flashpoint Germany folder and see if that works. Once I get past this slow format on my new D drive I have a few hours of reloading and reconfiguring of software to do I'll look closer into this issue. You may also want to posting in the main tech support forum too.

Good Luck.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
Gudgey

Post by Gudgey »

Hi Capn,

I tried the file in the FG folder, the Windows System and System32 folders but no luck, I might do some more digging on that 'Tinterweb' to try and find an answer.

Gudgey
IronManBeta

Post by IronManBeta »

It is a MS file (Direct3D Retained Mode DLL) and is supposed to go into Windows\System32 on the pre-Vista OS's.  I'll fire up Vista myself and see if I can reproduce this one.

Thanks for the info, Rob C
Gudgey

Post by Gudgey »

Any luck yet guys?

Gudgey
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

I'll check with Rob. I've been offline since Superbowl Sunday when both my hard drives went south. I've just got back up and running last night and see and compile code. Vista should be fun to "debug" for many game designers.

CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

from an internet article...hope it helps...

Some games are not working, requesting the file "d3drm.dll". This is the .dll that is used for D3D Retained Mode which was not included with Vista. If you copy this .dll from your XP install to your Vista SYSTEM32 directory then the games should work. (They have for me so far).

Gudgey

Post by Gudgey »

Hi,

I copied the file over from my WINXP machine, and I no longer get the missing file error, but Instead get this:

'an error occurred in the application'

I've attached a copy of the bug report which looks like it might be usefull!

Thanks,

Gudgey

Attachments
Bugreport.txt
(14.22 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
Gudgey

Post by Gudgey »

Anyone got it working in Vista yet?

Cheers,

Gudgey
IronManBeta

Post by IronManBeta »

Hello Gudgey and thank you for your patience.  I tested it under Vista RC1 without adverse results and one of the playtesters did the same.  I have been waiting patiently for my MS Action Pack Jan 19th update set which contains the release version of Vista so that I can test that.  MS Canada has no idea what happened to the shipment and has sent another which has also not arrived.  Apprarently I am not the only one around here to have this problem, although at least one person I know received it quite quickly.

The error file that you posted is *extremely* helpful to me and relates directly to db problems rather than DirectX as before.  I will track it down today and come up with a fix for you. 

Thanks again, Rob C

< an hour later >

This turned out to be an easy one and it had nothing to do with Vista at all! You are missing a data file - FP1.idx - and all you need to do is add it back in. You will likely find an empty one there already since it tries to create it if it can't find it. An empty one is 8k and a proper one is 16k. I have attached a zip of all the FP1 files hereto and you just need to unzip them into your \Data folder to get going again. Please let me know asap if this doesn't solve it.

Best of luck, Rob C
Attachments
FPG112_FP1_Data.zip
(13.18 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
Gudgey

Post by Gudgey »

Hi Rob,
&nbsp;
The file didn't seem to fix the problem so, I re-installed the game and tried again, and this time it worked. Ok, great I thought, and patched it to 1.12, but this caused it to crash again as before so, I copied the file you attached into the data folder.&nbsp;But now after starting the game the first video plays with no picture and choppy sound. I then left click as normal, to skip the video and the second video palys ok. Next the splash screen appears but with part of it missing, and&nbsp;then I get this error message:
&nbsp;
'ERROR - File FPG_colors.c32 does not exit!'
&nbsp;
I click proceed, and the main menu appears all looking ok, and I can move around the screens selecting the options as needed. But after selecting a scenario and clicking proceed, I see another message:
&nbsp;
'Sorry, cannot find file D:|Matrix Games\Flashpoint Germany\Graphics\Maps NG1.bmp. Ending here.'
&nbsp;
I then click ok and am dropped back to the desktop.
&nbsp;
Unfortunately there is no bug report this time, sorry!
&nbsp;
Gudgey.
&nbsp;
&nbsp;
gsol69

Post by gsol69 »

I am getting the 'ERROR - File FPG_colors.c32 does not exit!' error above when starting the game. Just installed it fresh&nbsp;on my WinXP Pro laptop, than applied patches1.01, 1.02 (because it was 40 meg), and than 1.12.
&nbsp;
No .c32 files exist in anywhere in the FPG directory structure. Did I do something wrong with the patches. I searched the forums for this error, and this is the only post referencing it. Please advise.
&nbsp;
Thanks

&nbsp;
IronManBeta

Post by IronManBeta »

There does seem to be a problem with one or more missing files depending on how you apply the patches according to Capn Darwin. We will sort that out as soon as Origins is done. In the meantime here is the missing file and let us know if there are any other problems. I will be at home until early Tues and then I will be at Origins until late Sunday.

Cheers, Rob
Attachments
FPG_Colors.zip
(182 Bytes) Downloaded 10 times
IronManBeta

Post by IronManBeta »

This would be a problem alright. I will confer with Capn Darwin and see what he says.

Cheers, Rob
ORIGINAL: Gudgey

Hi Rob,

The file didn't seem to fix the problem so, I re-installed the game and tried again, and this time it worked. Ok, great I thought, and patched it to 1.12, but this caused it to crash again as before so, I copied the file you attached into the data folder. But now after starting the game the first video plays with no picture and choppy sound. I then left click as normal, to skip the video and the second video palys ok. Next the splash screen appears but with part of it missing, and then I get this error message:

'ERROR - File FPG_colors.c32 does not exit!'

I click proceed, and the main menu appears all looking ok, and I can move around the screens selecting the options as needed. But after selecting a scenario and clicking proceed, I see another message:

'Sorry, cannot find file D:|Matrix Games\Flashpoint Germany\Graphics\Maps NG1.bmp. Ending here.'

I then click ok and am dropped back to the desktop.

Unfortunately there is no bug report this time, sorry!

Gudgey.

gsol69

Post by gsol69 »

Thanks Rob, the file in the attachment did the trick.
Gudgey

Post by Gudgey »

Can I ask what's the best way to install the prgram and patches, as each time I copy in a missing file, It just throws up another error, for yet another missing file?

Last time I re-installed I tested the program unpatched and it worked fine, the problems start after the patching. Should I just use the last patch or all of the previous ones?

Thanks,

Gudgey
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Gudgey,

From a disk or download install I would go with the 1.10 update followed by 1.11 then 1.12. That should work. I'll look at it closer tonight after work.

Gudgey

Post by Gudgey »

Erm,

Where can I find 1.10? When I go to the members downloads section, I only see 1.11 and 1.12 [&:]

Gudgey.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Gudgey,

We are working with folks at Matrix right now to get a comprehensive update made that fixes the problem you and others are having when trying to update the game. I have another build to check today and we should have thise resolved in a few days.

I'll post a message to this forum when the issue is fixed.

Gudgey

Post by Gudgey »

Nice one Cap'n
&nbsp;
Thanks,
&nbsp;
Gudgey

Return to “Flashpoint Germany Support”