Tried ver 2 and am requesting refund.

Do YOU have what it takes to run a country? Democracy starts with you in the role of President (or Prime Minister) of a modern country. Choose from twelve real countries, ranging from the United States to Australia. The object of the game is to stay in power as long as possible while pursuing policies that will turn your country into your definition of a utopia.
marcusm

RE: Tried ver 2 and am requesting refund.

Post by marcusm »

Anyone seriously think it will be impossible to find Halflife2 if Steam closes doors? You can still find 90% of the games
released 20 years ago, long after the publishers/makers went bust. And they werent even released online.

It will not be an issue.

Btw. Just a few weeks ago Judge Dread (author in this thread) had to re-buy a product from Matrixgames due
to a lost serial. So this system isn't failsafe either.

With Steam my games are safe as long as I have a valid email adress and even then I can just change my settings.
Same with GG and Stardock. Note also that D2D, GG and Steam often distributes the same games, which means if anyone of those goes bust you can rebuy it from someone else (unless you find 30 bucks prohibitive).
Deus Vult.
leastonh1

Post by leastonh1 »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
Some folks don't like online activation and I think with good reason.

Thank goodness!

Any company that forces people to do this loses me as a customer.

My problem isn't so much with any potential virus or trojan, it's having my choices taken away. How many old games are out there that still run long after the publisher has disappeared? Hundreds. And many of them still work perfectly. I still have Panzer General working on XP and play it fairly regularly. I can think of a number of other old wargames where this is the case. All those games with online activation will simply stop working in a few years. The publisher drops support due to age or ceases trading, whatever the reason, and we can't play the games any more. No thanks! It leaves the customer who may still use the product out in the cold.

Regards,
Jim
2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.
marcusm

Post by marcusm »

But the point is that they are bust and gone. Some games wouldn't be available at all if it wasn't
for "questionable sites". If GamersGate goes bust then Paradox games will still be available by other means. If Paradox games goes bust well then their previously released games will still be available. Worst case through "questionable sites".

There is no real difference and I say you have more options than before. Most popular games have multiple distributors online.
You can find the same games on Steam, D2D and GG. I am sure that any "must activate" games would have that patched away if publishes went bust. Either officially or unofficially.
Deus Vult.
Ike99

Post by Ike99 »

All those games with online activation will simply stop working in a few years. The publisher drops support due to age or ceases trading, whatever the reason, and we can't play the games any more.

Sure you can Jim because they are all ¨cracked¨ within weeks of their release.

I honestly don´t think this is a big problem though in this strategy genre though. We are generally older people and it´s such a small market I believe most of us realise if we don´t support the developers and publishers with our honest purchase it will disappear.

I think this is primarily a problem with the ¨shoot up¨ games and their customers primarily. Younger people, teens.

¨If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.¨ Che Guevara

The more I know people, the more I like my dog.
Rocko911

Post by Rocko911 »

So does this game have online activation or the standard Matrix serial number?
David Heath

Post by David Heath »

This game as do all of our games have the standard Matrix Games serial number.

sapper_astro

Post by sapper_astro »

ORIGINAL: Ike99
All those games with online activation will simply stop working in a few years. The publisher drops support due to age or ceases trading, whatever the reason, and we can't play the games any more.

Sure you can Jim because they are all ¨cracked¨ within weeks of their release.

I honestly don´t think this is a big problem though in this strategy genre though. We are generally older people and it´s such a small market I believe most of us realise if we don´t support the developers and publishers with our honest purchase it will disappear.

I think this is primarily a problem with the ¨shoot up¨ games and their customers primarily. Younger people, teens.

Actually, I think you mean the 'Shoot up' games are cracked within a few weeks. Strategy games wouldn't have a great deal of hacker activity one would think. And if that is the case, then you will have to enjoy your new drink coaster, because that is the only thing it will be useful for if the link the Big Papa is broken and you wanted to install it on a new machine later on.

I stopped buying games from Battlefront for this very reason. Nothing else, just this back-to-base rubbish that they have built in.

With Matrix games, I have my serial numbers written down both on CD's, and in a notebook. Also on a bit of paper I keep in my work drawer. If anything happens to Matrix, my serial number will always allow me to install my Matrix games. If anything happened to BF and the guys there were too busy looking for new work/whatever to patch out the copy protection, I would then have to rely on either a hacked file that might contain a trojan or virus (Or not work) or pray that one day, somehow, the devs would put a patch out for their old games to lift the copy protection.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Btw. Just a few weeks ago Judge Dread (author in this thread) had to re-buy a product from Matrixgames due
to a lost serial. So this system isn't failsafe either.

I don't know if you were addressing me or saying that I had the issue. [:D]

If you were saying I had the issue, you are incorrect.

If you were addressing me, then my point would be that if Matrix Games went out of business, then I can still use my games. If I then lost my serial number, then true, I am in the same boat...but I would've lost the game through my own fault for not making a backup/print of the serial numbers....not because the company went under and left me and my purchase out to hang.

I will not buy games with online activation anymore. I will not buy games with intrusive, annoyingly slow copy protection on the disk. It's my money and I'll take it to whom I think deserves it.
Alba gu' brath
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

I will not buy games with online activation anymore. I will not buy games with intrusive, annoyingly slow copy protection on the disk. It's my money and I'll take it to whom I think deserves it.

Been there, done that, AMEN Brother!!! [:D]
Ike99

Post by Ike99 »

sapper_astro-Actually, I think you mean the 'Shoot up' games are cracked within a few weeks.

I wouldn´t be so sure of that. As mentioned earlier Battlefront requires online activation for all its war games and they only sale strategy games.

I could direct you to quite a few places right now with working ¨cracked¨ copies for download of every single one of their games. A bad thing sure...but it is like this.

But as I said before, I don´t think this is a big problem in the struggling strategy nitch as most of us are older and know if we don´t make honest purchases and support the developers and publishers this nitch market will disappear entirely.

¨If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.¨ Che Guevara

SaltySteed

Post by SaltySteed »

I did get the refund. It was prompt and polite. I failed to read the Website before buying.[:-]
mkjhartmann

Post by mkjhartmann »

Well,

sorry about the fanboy stuff about Matrix download systems. I think they stink.

I owned a bunch of Matrix games, including my favorite Operational Art of War, but got a new computer. I repeatedly sent my purchase codes requesting new download links, only to be glibly sent by Matrix to Digital River that told me that after 30 days I had to pay more money to download again. So please don't tell me how great this system is, it's not!

As a matter of fact I have serial numbers out the wazoo that I can't reinstall because they still ask for more money. How hard is it to store and make a download accessable? Oh, sorry that might take 30 minutes in database development as opposed to ripping the customers for more money! Thanks Matrix and DIGITAL RIVER.

Mike

Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Mike,

We allow re-download for 30 days unless you purchase the "download insurance", in which case it's two years. Why would you delete your installers before installing them on your new system? Did you not keep any backups?

Digital River mandated that change, but we did get them to "grandfather" in all purchases before that change to have no re-download time limit. TOAW III came out after that change, but if you purchased games from us before 2006, they should still be accessible.

Seriously though, we tell you in the store that it's only available for 30 days after you buy it unless you get the download insurance and we encourage our customers it seems like daily to backup their games. With all that said, I'm sure that I can get you an additional download if you send me your order info. Sounds like our support folks gave you the standard answer, which is what they should do, but we also try to go the extra mile whenever possible.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
pasternakski

Post by pasternakski »

There is no reason to criticize Matrix for its digital download system. Granted, Digital River is not perfect, but they are competent, at least. Matrix staff, as has been demonstrated on these forums literally thousands of times, is absolutely the best in terms of customer service (rivaled only by the AGEod frogs).

Fer chrissake, when you download a game, do the following immediately (even before firing the game up to play it):

1. Burn it to a CD. Add a screenshot of your order confirmation screen (so that your serial number is included on the CD).
2. Using an indelible marker, write your serial number on the face of the CD (so that, if anything goes haywire, you still have your serial number).
3. Burn another, identical CD and archive it someplace safe.

Oh. Never use CD-RWs.
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

ORIGINAL: mkjhartmann

Well,

I owned a bunch of Matrix games, including my favorite Operational Art of War, but got a new computer. I repeatedly sent my purchase codes requesting new download links, only to be glibly sent by Matrix to Digital River that told me that after 30 days I had to pay more money to download again. So please don't tell me how great this system is, it's not!

As a matter of fact I have serial numbers out the wazoo that I can't reinstall because they still ask for more money. How hard is it to store and make a download accessable? Oh, sorry that might take 30 minutes in database development as opposed to ripping the customers for more money! Thanks Matrix and DIGITAL RIVER.

Mike

What's with the fanboy tag? There is absolutely nothing fanboyish about it.

I like the system because I download, I burn I get a serial and that's it. Serial is safe. Download is burned (on two disks) and safe. If I lose those, then it's through my fault...nothing to do with Matrix and there policy or business strength. I have never had a problem buying from Matrix, ever. And it seems to me you haven't either...the only problem you have is your lack of initiative.

I'm not saying people don't have the occasional issue with a purchase. More often than not, the problems are to do with immediate release and server/shop not being in sync, from what I gather. But once the download has been made, it's peoples responsibility to make sure they protect their purchase. All the facilities are at hand to do so. You have a self extracting exe file, serial numbers and, if you choose to purchase it, a physical disk.

It isn't really Matrix fault that you didn't look after your purchase, is it? What is being mentioned here is businesses taking your right to use what you purchased away from you where online activation requires you to connect to activate and the suggestion being if ca company goes out of business that has this policy, then you could be up the creek without a paddle.

Matrix gives you everything you need to have that game for decades after purchase whether they are in business or not. Is it really their fault you didn't burn to a cd or dvd? Is it their fault your dog ate your A4 scrap of paper with the serial numbers on? One would think not.

In short, I resent the fanboy accusation just because you were too shortsighted to look after your purchase.
Alba gu' brath
marcusm

Post by marcusm »

Well it shows that no system is perfect at least. I like Steam because my games stay for as long as I need them.

Not that it mattes that much. What is 30 dollars really? Buying WitP twice might hurt a bit though :).
Deus Vult.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Well we didn't need accusations of being a fanboy from mkjhartmann to know that no system is perfect, on that we can safely agree.

But his example was no-one elses fault but his own.

My point is, which he actually helps to strengthen, that if Matrix no longer trade from tomorrow...I can still play/install everyone of my games. If the company who sold me Armed Assault go under, I could be left high and dry if I wanted to reinstall.

Of course, you are correct in that $30 isn't alot...but the games I buy cost an average of £25...so that's $50 (some less, some more).

But something we can agree on...most games have a pretty short shelf life with regards playing time. There are not many games I go back to. But, being as I bought it, I like the idea that I could if I wanted....which is why I won't buy anymore digital download with online activation.
Alba gu' brath
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

What's with the fanboy tag? There is absolutely nothing fanboyish about it.

Judge: He's not even worth a reply. The opposite of a fanboy would be an outcast? [;)] Anybody that hasn't learned PC-101 should not be using a computer to begin with.

PC-101 = Backup, backup, and backup.
Matrix Activation Codes = Unlimited installs if you observed PC-101.
Ike99

Post by Ike99 »

Well,

Mike

I don´t see how you can say it stinks when it´s the best there is.

When I buy a Matrix title I download it. Burn 2 copies on 2 CD´s with title, case and serial numbers written on them. One case goes in a drawer for safe storage and the other goes in the desk the PC sits on and I use that one. I make two copies incase the one I´m using gets cracked, or whatever and breaks it.

Never had a single problem losing a title doing this. I suggest you do the same and everyone else.

Now this certainly beats online activation with limited number of activations, hidden spyware, hidden advertisements and your email flooded with spam in spades.

edit- As pasternakski said too. You really won´t find better customer service. I say this not to sound like a commercial so much but because it is true.

LarryP

Post by LarryP »

ORIGINAL: Ike99

I don´t see how you can say it stinks when it´s the best there is.

When I buy a Matrix title I download it. Burn 2 copies on 2 CD´s with title, case and serial numbers written on them. One case goes in a drawer for safe storage and the other goes in the desk the PC sits on and I use that one. I make two copies incase the one I´m using gets cracked, or whatever and breaks it.

Never had a single problem losing a title doing this. I suggest you do the same and everyone else.

Now this certainly beats online activation with limited number of activations, hidden spyware, hidden advertisements and your email flooded with spam in spades.

edit- As pasternakski said too. You really won´t find better customer service. I say this not to sound like a commercial so much but because it is true.

Hey Ike! I do almost the same. Backup to an external hard drive (250gb) that only holds backups. Make another backup to a DVD with tons of other games. Then to a CD. Serial numbers from the original email is with all three backups plus on the CD in plain view. I print out the original email with the serial number and store that in a file cabinet. Hey, PC-101, I learned the hard way! [:D]

I read articles in the late 1980's and early 1990's that said the best way to back up is with three copies. I thought that was a waste, then one day I found out why, the hard way and I have never strayed from using three.

Now where did I put those keys... [:)]

Return to “Democracy”