Democracy 2

Do YOU have what it takes to run a country? Democracy starts with you in the role of President (or Prime Minister) of a modern country. Choose from twelve real countries, ranging from the United States to Australia. The object of the game is to stay in power as long as possible while pursuing policies that will turn your country into your definition of a utopia.
bbmike

Democracy 2

Post by bbmike »

Ok, this is eerie. I stumbled across a game call 'Democracy 2' the other day and downloaded the demo. I haven't really tried it yet. Is this Democracy the first one in that series or is it really 'Democracy 2' packaged for Matrix games?
Erik Rutins

RE: Democracy 2

Post by Erik Rutins »

This is the first one in the series - they're different games. Democracy 2 just came out in December and has some differences and quite a few similarities to Democracy. One of the distinguishing features is that Democracy deals with "real" nations whereas Democracy 2 deals with "archetypes" of nations. Democracy 2 introduces some new concepts like political capital and advisors, but frankly I think you'll find that Democracy is a great game in its own right.

The version we're selling is a fully updated Democracy, same as the retail release that went to stores under TriSynergy's label in October, 2007. We're effectively the online release portion of that October, 2007 release.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
geozero

Post by geozero »

Erik,

Didn't Democracy originally release in 2005?  Democracy 2 just came out.  Why is Matrix selling a 2+ year old game as new?[:D]
JUST SAY NO... To Hideous Graphics.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Will you be handling Democracy 2?
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

George,
ORIGINAL: geozero
Didn't Democracy originally release in 2005?  Democracy 2 just came out.  Why is Matrix selling a 2+ year old game as new?[:D]

As far as I know this is a greatly updated release from what you're referencing and was first released in this form in October, 2007. As to why we are releasing it:

1. We regularly add games to our catalog that we find to be good and think our customers may not be aware of, even though they've been out before (i.e. Birth of America, PureSim Baseball, etc.)
2. We have a good partnership with Tri-Synergy and they asked us to do the online release to parallel their retail release earlier this winter
3. It's an election year and we felt we should have a political strategy game in the catalog

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: tgb
Will you be handling Democracy 2?

No idea on that, sorry.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
geozero

Post by geozero »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

George,
ORIGINAL: geozero

As far as I know this is a greatly updated release from what you're referencing and was first released in this form in October, 2007. As to why we are releasing it:

1. We regularly add games to our catalog that we find to be good and think our customers may not be aware of, even though they've been out before (i.e. Birth of America, PureSim Baseball, etc.)
2. We have a good partnership with Tri-Synergy and they asked us to do the online release to parallel their retail release earlier this winter
3. It's an election year and we felt we should have a political strategy game in the catalog

Regards,

- Erik

But it's a 2 year old game. What's re-worked? Maybe they added Obama and Hillary in the mix there.
JUST SAY NO... To Hideous Graphics.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

George,

Two years is not ancient history. We've actually had our eye on this one for a while, since we think it's a very innovative game. When TriSynergy worked out a deal with them, we were happy to hop on board. Unlike what you would have gotten in 2005, this version is fully updated and bug free. Consider it like "Democracy Gold" if you want, but yes it's still the same game.

If you were not aware of Democracy and by releasing it here we made you aware of it, then we basically accomplished what we set out to do. This is not a huge release for us - it's a budget title and a re-release, but it is still a very fun and timely game.

Folks who already have it don't need this version. If you don't have it, haven't heard of it, haven't played it - I encourage you to get it as this is an excellent little strategy game.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
bbmike

Post by bbmike »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

We've actually had our eye on this one for a while, since we think it's a very innovative game. When TriSynergy worked out a deal with them, we were happy to hop on board. Unlike what you would have gotten in 2005, this version is fully updated and bug free. Consider it like "Democracy Gold" if you want, but yes it's still the same game.

If you were not aware of Democracy and by releasing it here we made you aware of it, then we basically accomplished what we set out to do. This is not a huge release for us - it's a budget title and a re-release, but it is still a very fun and timely game.

Great! This is exactly why I like Matrix Games so much. I haven't bought a game here I didn't like and I guess I'll be adding this one to my collection as well.[:)] After reading about this one compared to version 2, I like the sound of this one better anyway. Thanks!!!
cdbeck

Post by cdbeck »

Democracy 2 is great fun, I have it. Positech games is known for its turn-based, semi-text based, real-life/real politics sims. These include Kudos, Kudos: Rock Legend, and of course this game, Democracy. The first one did release a few years back, but was extensively updated (the developer is quite responsive to suggestions, a fact very visible on the Democracy 2 boards) and apparently picked up to be released in stores by Trisynergy (this version). Not sure why he worked this deal out for the older version of Democracy (other than the deal was probably in the works for two years, not an uncommon thing) but that does not mean this should be ignored. For all intents and purposes, this "two year old" game looks and plays like the new Democracy version (with some slight changes, mentioned above).

For those that do not own either game, I would suggest looking into this. Democracy 1 is best for those that want to run real-life countries (i.e. the US, Germany, UK, Canada). The new version adds a really awesome idea with political capital (rather than the first one's system of two actions a turn) but removes the real life nations for general nations based on real-life archetypes (as mentioned above). They really act as totally different games, and I suggest that any interested try both demos on Positech's site (and try out Kudos and Kudos: Rock Legend, they are rather entertaining).

I'm glad Matrix picked this up, as it adds some exposure to a great title and a very class-act small developer.

SoM
"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade
Adam Parker

Post by Adam Parker »

Rant deleted by me.

What's the point [8|]
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker
Rant deleted by me.
What's the point [8|]

Don't worry, be happy. [8D]
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

test
rwenstrup

Post by rwenstrup »

I bought Democracy and found out a couple of days later that Democracy 2 was available for $4 more. Contacted Matrix requesting to return the product since there was a newer game available on the market. Was told no return was allowed.

I've always had a high opinion of Matrix due to the Steel Panthers release...and have bought most of the games that are for sale...but this situation has changed my opinion of the class of company Matrix has become...now it's just a game distributor and you have to be careful what you buy from Matrix.
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Return to “Democracy”