Proposed alternative PBEM method.

Find opponents for head to head or multi-player PBEM matches here.
cpdeyoung

Proposed alternative PBEM method.

Post by cpdeyoung »

PBEM players, I propose the following as an alternative to standard PBEM play. I typed this from memory, but I think it is correct. If there are changes to the procedure they will be posted in this thread.

It is possible to convert a PBEM game to a "single player", as in solo game, for each human controlled country. Follow these steps.

1. Make backup copy of your folder. This is very important as the following procedure is not official.
2. Edit Misc.Csv with Notepad and find the name of your PBEM game on the top line.
3. Change this name to "No PBEM". Do not put quotes around it so it should look like ;450;No PBEM;1;. This assumes a 450 turn scenario, so the "450" may be different.
4. Following the "name" in the next position is a "1". Change this to "0". ;450;No PBEM;0;
5. Save your changes to Misc.csv.
6. Open countries.csv in Notepad.
7. Find the PBEM Event country : 75;1;PBEM event choice;
8. Set it to inactive by changing the one to zero : 75;0;PBEM event choice;
9. Save Countries.csv.

Now, use the following procedure to play.
1. Play your turn, and when completed Save the Game to a save folder with the gamename and turn as "LowT001". Do this before you click "End turn".
2. Click end turn and see who is next up as a human player.
3. Send a zip of the previously saved folder to said human player.
4. The receiving player puts it in the "Save", not "PBEM" folder.
5. Be careful to avoid looking at the map!
6. End the game.

You will not have help with sequence, in other words each player must be careful as repo.dat will no longer play a part in the process. Take extra care to not send the wrong file. The player seeing the events will still have to handle getting answers to any questions, and informing the other players about events that concern them. The lock up issues will be gone however.

In effect you are now playing a "PBEM single player game" so it works as well as a solo game.

If you are starting a PBEM game, consider setting it up as a standard game and passing the fileset around. Simply set it up as you would a solo game and send the turns to other players as appropriate.

Hope this helps.

Chuck
Uxbridge

RE: Proposed alternative PBEM method.

Post by Uxbridge »

Since we have already started the normal way, we'll go on this way. But I have a question nevertheless. Will this procedure not lead to an absence of reports?
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

It really is the solo version. The reports for each nation, not player, but nation are available. The reports are in the Game folder in "Save" just as they are in the "PBEM" folder. It is just like having five players sitting in a room around one computer. "Bill, come play France". "Ok, Joe time for Italy". Rather than having one computer you have one set of files moving among five computers. The reason it is a possible choice it that there are no event problems. They occur right before the German turn, as in solo, but no lock up.

You still must ask any questions of other players, and you must tell them what events occured, but again, no lock ups.

Chuck
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

Each time you open the PBEM-file, you can see a lot of general things about opponents and allies alike: number of units (but not strength and level), PPs available, strength of communications, etc. These will be lost too, I think. And I personally like these a lot. It's just the amount of information you need as to try and put yourself into the mind of your opponent.

I opened the reports file, probably for the first time ever. What do you need to read those? Enigma? [:)]
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

Actually Microsoft Word does pretty well. When it asks about encoding select "Other" and then "Unicode". This is not perfect, but not too bad either.

Chuck
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

I will try that.
AH4Ever

Post by AH4Ever »

ORIGINAL: cpdeyoung

Now, use the following procedure to play.

1. Play your turn, and when completed Save the Game to a save folder with the gamename and turn as "LowT001". Do this before you click "End turn".

First let me thank you for coming up with this work around it most certainly helps.

My question is why are you recommending we save the game before ending a turn?

If this is done the next player sees the new turn message for the player that has sent the file and they must click end turn to continue. Seems to me it might cause a somewhat confusing transition.

JJMC

The next best thing to being clever is being able to quote someone who is.

You weren't there Thursday... You MISSED it!
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

Thinking back on it I am not sure why. If doing it after the "End turn" works for you then please do so. I wonder if I was worried about the events, or messages?

In any case I am glad this method helps. I think it has the advantage of simplicity.

Chuck
AH4Ever

Post by AH4Ever »

Most definitely, thanks again

[:)]
JJMC

The next best thing to being clever is being able to quote someone who is.

You weren't there Thursday... You MISSED it!

Return to “Opponents Wanted”