Tech Research Needs a Change...

From the front lines in France and Russia to the deserts of North Africa and the airfields and convoys of Britain, the campaigns of World War II are yours to command in WW2: Time of Wrath! This turn-based grand strategy title, the highly improved and expanded sequel to WW2: Road to Victory, puts the player in charge of the political, economic and military decisions of one or more Axis or Allied nations, including minor nations.
Lrfss

Tech Research Needs a Change...

Post by Lrfss »

After playing several '39 Campaigns as both Axis & Allies it would appear that the Tech research needs an overhaul.

For one, it would be much better if expanded in more detail such as HOI-2 or at least half as much.

For second, Tech is way to fast when you can max out all Tech's by approx mid '42 which makes no sense.

I'm sure this has been discussed prior, however it's a major issue, what do you think?
bahzeel

RE: Tech Research Needs a Change...

Post by bahzeel »

If I read one of the Time of Fury screenshots correctly, it looked to me like the developers agreed with your second assertion that tech research was going too fast; the screenshot had you accumulating 150 tech points instead of 100 to get a tech level.
Lrfss

Post by Lrfss »

ORIGINAL: bahzeel

If I read one of the Time of Fury screenshots correctly, it looked to me like the developers agreed with your second assertion that tech research was going too fast; the screenshot had you accumulating 150 tech points instead of 100 to get a tech level.

Well that would likely help though I think that even 150 tech threshold would still be too low most likely. I'm guessing the 50 additional points would only maybe increase the time overall by maybe one year in total? So by mid '43 you could possibly have them all as it stands to max?? I'm guessing maybe 200/250 might do the trick though??? On the other hand if they just doubled what could be researched to say 150, it would prob resolve itself as just as well?

Anyway, it's great game that just needs a lil more love'in...
Anraz

Post by Anraz »

I'm guessing maybe 200/250

We`ve been experimenting with dose values. So far 150 seems to the best choice for ToF.
Lrfss

Post by Lrfss »

ORIGINAL: Anraz
I'm guessing maybe 200/250

We`ve been experimenting with dose values. So far 150 seems to the best choice for ToF.

Assuming 150 stands to work, will the next update if any for ToW be modified as well? Can it be changed via the editor in ToW? I've never got around to playing with the editor is why I asked.

Thanks!

Lrfss
Tomokatu

Post by Tomokatu »

Can it be changed via the editor in ToW? I've never got around to playing with the editor is why I asked.

Ohboy! Is THIS ever a topic for discussion!
Most of the files are in .csv format. (Comma Separated Values)
In other words, it's a spreadsheet. You need a decent spreadsheet editor which does NOT automatically jam all your comma-separated fields into the first field. In other words, NOT Excel or one of its clones.[:-]

You will also need a text file editor for some of the files which does NOT automatically insert a LF as well as a CR (In other words, NOT Notepad[:-])

So, there's no single editor. You really have to get into the nuts and bolts of the engine, here.
Let me just put some extra icing on the cake too.

Lots of the instructional and informative text (like column headings) is in Polish.[:D]

Read all the threads in the "Scenarios and Mods" section if you haven't already done so.

Best of luck!
Bye Now! [:)]
For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction
Lrfss

Post by Lrfss »

ORIGINAL: Tomokatu
Can it be changed via the editor in ToW? I've never got around to playing with the editor is why I asked.

Ohboy! Is THIS ever a topic for discussion!
Most of the files are in .csv format. (Comma Separated Values)
In other words, it's a spreadsheet. You need a decent spreadsheet editor which does NOT automatically jam all your comma-separated fields into the first field. In other words, NOT Excel or one of its clones.[:-]

You will also need a text file editor for some of the files which does NOT automatically insert a LF as well as a CR (In other words, NOT Notepad[:-])

So, there's no single editor. You really have to get into the nuts and bolts of the engine, here.
Let me just put some extra icing on the cake too.

Lots of the instructional and informative text (like column headings) is in Polish.[:D]

Read all the threads in the "Scenarios and Mods" section if you haven't already done so.

Best of luck!
Bye Now! [:)]
Oh man! Polish??!!

Well sounds like it's out of the question to modify for me then!

Maybe we'll get lucky and someone will figure it out at some point...

Thanks!
Tomokatu

Post by Tomokatu »

Wastelands Interactive is a Polish company. the programmers are Polish (and drink lots of beer!) so it's not really surprising.

In the root folder of your installation of WWII:ToW is a text file named ConsoleOut.txt It's rewritten every time you exit the game, and is the diagnostic file if ever you have a mysterious ending (CRASH!).

Open that sometime with a text editor and take a look.
For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction
Lrfss

Post by Lrfss »

ORIGINAL: Tomokatu

Wastelands Interactive is a Polish company. the programmers are Polish (and drink lots of beer!) so it's not really surprising.

In the root folder of your installation of WWII:ToW is a text file named ConsoleOut.txt It's rewritten every time you exit the game, and is the diagnostic file if ever you have a mysterious ending (CRASH!).

Open that sometime with a text editor and take a look.

No surprise I guess really. Anyway, BTW I've only experienced one CTD out of 3 '39 Campaigns over many, many hours of play. This game is very stable at least for me anyway...[:)]
bahzeel

Post by bahzeel »

Heya Lrfss,

Here's an idea for you - a way to approximate 150 tech points to generate a tech advance. In my latest '39 campaign, I've decided to restrict myself to at most 2 light bulbs in tech. That will correspond directly to a 150 level tech. Of course - I get it with 2 bulbs instead of 3, so the production cost is lower, but it's a good way to approximate the speed of the 150 tech advance leve.

Lrfss

Post by Lrfss »

ORIGINAL: bahzeel

Heya Lrfss,

Here's an idea for you - a way to approximate 150 tech points to generate a tech advance. In my latest '39 campaign, I've decided to restrict myself to at most 2 light bulbs in tech. That will correspond directly to a 150 level tech. Of course - I get it with 2 bulbs instead of 3, so the production cost is lower, but it's a good way to approximate the speed of the 150 tech advance leve.

I like this idea! However it begs to ask the question of How does the AI handle buying Tech Research? Will the AI outpace you if you do this etc?

Return to “WW2: Time of Wrath”