needed - house rules for weather

WW2: Road to Victory is the first grand strategy release from IQ Software/Wastelands Interactive, which covers World War II in Europe and the Mediterranean. Hex-based and Turn-based, it allows you to choose any combination of Axis, Allied, Neutral, Major or Minor countries to play and gives you full control over production, diplomacy, land, air and naval strategy. Start your campaign in 1939, 1940 or 1941 and see if you can better the results of your historical counterparts. A series of historical events and choices add flavor and strategic options for great replayability.
Uxbridge

RE: needed - house rules for weather

Post by Uxbridge »

Frankly, GW got me so excited about this that I have now implemeted the following changes into the game:

All months will have 2 turns except May-August that will have 3. Summer period will be as normal. The rest of the year as follows:

Autumn:
October-November
Armour and motorised has same MP allowance as leg units; leg has slightly lowered allowance
Armour attack values are halved
Movement costs in deserts are lowered (to off-set mud effects in the NA)
Armour and motorized can’t enter swamp
Effects of rivers are increased (combat)
Defender gets roughly 50% higher defence value in all terrain (accumulative with base value for this hex)
Attacker losses in combat is more unpredictable and somewhat more severe
The effect of ZoC is lowered to balance effect of reduced movement ability (except for armour)
The cost to initiate land attacks are higher
Fighter/tactical and strategic bombers have their ranges reduced
Paratroopers risk of suffering casulties are much higher
Effect and range of HQ:s is severely reduced (we don’t use generals in our revised game, rather HQ:s with a 10 range and a much higher influence on nearby units; their number are fewer than in the original and differ from year to year and country)

Winter:
December-Mars
Leg, armour and motorised has lower MP allowance than usual
Movement costs in deserts are lowered (to off-set mud effects in the NA)
Swamps are treated as clear for leg; as woods for armour and motorized
Hills are more expensive for all units
Effects of rivers are negligible (combat)
The cost to initiate land attacks are higher
Air units have only 1 AP
Strategic bombers have their ranges reduced and fighter/tactical have their ranges much reduced
Paradrops are prohibited
Air units rebase range is halved
Strategic movement of air units cost twice of normal
Effect and range of HQ:s is sligthly reduced

We're in the beginning of a game (april 1940). We'll see what happens with the new changes. [:)]
Mike Parker

Post by Mike Parker »

Sounds like it might be interesting
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

please keep us informed, Uxbridge.

Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

I'll try.
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

ORIGINAL: gwgardner

next game I play I would like to try some house rules to simulate weather effects. Not sure what they should be yet, however.

Possibilities:

1)at beginning of German turn, the player rolls a dice, refers to month and weather possibilities for that month - informs the other players
2) rain/storms - no air, no amphib
3) mud armor/mec reduced to one hex move
4) snow/ice - movement halved, no air or amphib

of course such movement penalties would have to be on the honor system.

Then of course there is the regional effect. Could break that down into Mediterranean countries and others. med countries only experience clear and rain/storms.

better ways to simulate weather in this game?

We have now tried playing with the changes I outlined in a post above and are using seasonal effects similar to those here desired by GW. It works perfectly. We now have three seasons - Summer, Autumn and Winter (meaning Clear, Mud and Snow) - and the game turn equals two weeks in all months except May, June, July and August, which have three. There's no need for house rules for this, you only have to make three different consts.csv with the desired effects and the new month lengths in them. Then you simply replace the consts.csv three times a year.

The game feels much more real this way, with major offensives grinning to a halt with the onset of heavy rain and air units being much hampered by snow.

Thanks for your original idea, GW, our game is much improved by this! [:)]
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

Just to give you a quick hint.

Time of Wrath has got weather system to simulate effect of snow and mud for land units, so yhey move slower and fight not as good as in good weather. Modifiers are moddable. We have also implemented national modifiers to simulate specific accomodation.
All turns are equal (we decided to put 4 turns per month so there is only 48 in year instead of 52, but i think it's a better solution than make four months with 5 turns).
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

Hello again, Doomtrader!

Now that's good news! I didn't mind the earlier choice so much until we tried the new one. It was a major improvement and it feels great that you have come to the same conclusion. Will the ground change into white as well? [:)]

Since I seem to have your attention, there are two questions that I'll like you to answer: (1.) Where should we discuss Time of Wrath, here or some place else? (2.) Can you (and this is vital) use counters in the new game?

One additional wish would be that you could play the game using a modern flat screen with 1680x1050, but I take it that's just a dream, eh? 
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

Will the ground change into white as well?
yes

(1.) Where should we discuss Time of Wrath, here or some place else?
For few more days here, but I think it would be better to keep your questions until official subforum will appear [:)]

(2.) Can you (and this is vital) use counters in the new game?
Yes, you can also put into game as many types of unit representation as you wish.

One additional wish would be that you could play the game using a modern flat screen with 1680x1050, but I take it that's just a dream, eh?
Yes, you can use such resolution.

Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

I'm simply overwhelmed. [&o]

And I will not ask when it's due. Keep to your own time table, we want this good.

When saying that "Yes, you can also put into game as many types of unit representation as you wish", can you elaborate just a little on this point? If I like to do a mechanized division, can I build it from scratch? If so, does this apply to air units as well (fighters, bombers, different firepower, different ranges)?
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

When saying that "Yes, you can also put into game as many types of unit representation as you wish", can you elaborate just a little on this point? If I like to do a mechanized division, can I build it from scratch? If so, does this apply to air units as well (fighters, bombers, different firepower, different ranges)?
You have go a little to far [:)]
When I was saying about representation, I was thinking about graphical representation, and to be more precise you can make new set of graphic by adding it, and not by replacing already existing one.

Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

Aha! Well, that's very nice too. You'll be keeping me from writing books for some time, no doubt. [:)]
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

ORIGINAL: Uxbridge

We have now tried playing with the changes I outlined in a post above and are using seasonal effects similar to those here desired by GW. It works perfectly. We now have three seasons - Summer, Autumn and Winter (meaning Clear, Mud and Snow) - and the game turn equals two weeks in all months except May, June, July and August, which have three. There's no need for house rules for this, you only have to make three different consts.csv with the desired effects and the new month lengths in them. Then you simply replace the consts.csv three times a year.

The game feels much more real this way, with major offensives grinning to a halt with the onset of heavy rain and air units being much hampered by snow.

Thanks for your original idea, GW, our game is much improved by this! [:)]

That's great, Uxbridge. Care to upload the csvs? Also great about the new game's weather implementation. Can't wait.

Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

Ah, there's a slight problem here. We're still stuck with the pre-1.30-version, so our consts probably won't work with your version. Or will they?

Do you still have my e-mail adress? If so, drop me a mail with a copy of your present consts.csv and I can make three new ones with the changes in them. But I have a lot of other things to do at present, so it may take some days.
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

It won't work

Too many changes in the game
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

Looking at the screenshots more closely, I noticed something interesting in the first shot (the one with the hexes turned on). An air units seems active and the message seems to imply that there's now some air/naval interaction. Is this true, or just a trick played out by my wishful imagination?
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

It's not an imagination
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

Now I'm on edge! [8D]

Return to “WW2: Road to Victory”