Is there any strategy involved in this game ?

World War II: General Commander is an introductory war strategy game which brings a unique mix of scale, combat dynamics, and force management. An intuitive combination of rules and controls will give beginning wargamers and real time strategy fans the opportunity to simulate Germany’s famous last Blitzkrieg from either side.
Dorisia

Is there any strategy involved in this game ?

Post by Dorisia »

Bought this game recently and tried the first small scenario "BaraqueDeFraiture".

Without any hint on what to do in this (and the other) scenario(s) I placed my available paratroopers at Grandmenil at the top of the map and after the scenario started, I ordered all my battlegroups to move on the roads to the opposite towns.

After some time I made contact with my forces from the middle Baraque de Fraiture, but as soon as my paratroopers reached the undefended Trois Ponts, the scenario ended with a big win for me !?!?!?!

What was the designer of this scenario smoking ???
Will the scenario only work if my troops sit idle at their starting positions and try to defend them ???

I'm not amused about the strictly scripted way this game seems to work and hope, that the other scenarios will handle better.

BTW; was it really to much to insert any (helpful) information at the beginning of a scenario ?
The info text is more than vague, to say the least !

When I compare this game to the Panther game series I have to admit, that 3D isn't enough to make a good war game !!!!

Martin
warishere

RE: Is there any strategy involved in this game ?

Post by warishere »

I just recently started playing this game again and I like it a lot. There are tons of different strategies you can utilize in this game but I find that playing againt the AI is a mixed bag. Sometimes it's ridiculously easy to beat it, then there are times when it is ridiculously hard to beat it. The thing I do like is that the AI will atleast do different things, the same scenario never plays exactly alike.

However, BaraqueDeFraiture is for beginners. That is the smallest scenario in the game. There are some really massive scenarios in this game with over 20 divisions on each side. You almost have to play the game at the slowest speed to be able to control all of the divisions in those scenarios. I'm not sure what the division limit is in this game but there are some pretty massive battles that happen in this game. It was nice that they included a way to adjust the speed down to a slow crawl (x5) during the game or you can speed it up really fast.

Of course, when people were playing this game, the biggest complaint I remember hearing about was the airstike animations being kind of silly and not very effective in chopping down the enemy's efficiency/units and there is hardly any sound from airplanes. Airstrikes should be a little more effective. Also the animations/graphics could have been so much better. Graphics aren't very important to me but the game just needs more explosions. I wish it had some voice-overs too. It would be nice to hear my units say "enemy approaching, sir" when they spot an enemy battalion or whatever.

But I like the overall feel of this game a whole lot, it does a lot of things really really well. Its not your typical click-fest like most RTS games, I like to call it a tactical/operational game. You have to keep track of the battles happening all over the map but you also have to keep track of your supply lines which is very important in the game. Its a nice balance between the two.

I might be ready for an online game in a few days. I wouldn't mind trying out the scenario called TheFrontOfLiege and a couple of others in a multiplayer game. Let me know if you want to play some.
Dorisia

Post by Dorisia »

Thanks for your reply.

Seems like a stroke of bad luck with my first try at this game.

Will give the game another chance, but the next days/weeks it is unlikely that I have time for single- or multiplayer.

But thank you very much for your offer and your kind reply !

Regards,

Martin
warishere

Post by warishere »

Alright Manie,

Let me know what you think of this game after you play it some.

Return to “World War II: General Commander”