Scenario 17 ... for your comments

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design and the game editor for WITP.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Mr.Frag

Scenario 17 ... for your comments

Post by Mr.Frag »

All Chinese Corps have been increased to equal 3 divisions, I have made modest adjustments to supply levels and increased the Chinese daily supply points from 300 to 350 to help offset the stronger units. The purpose of this test scenario is to see if we can slow down operations in the Chinese theater.

Enhanced China Standard Scenario

Give it a try and provide your feedback.
moses

RE: Scenario 17 ... for your comments

Post by moses »

You're going to need to add about 20,000 supply or edit all the individual unit supplies. You've got 60-70 units which are each short 300 supply and willl be drawing this supply on the first turn. I think you cities will all be orange by turn 2.
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

Sounds interesting, Mr. Frag; I'll load it up and try it. I take it this is not the same scenario as the one Mogami is working on?
Mr.Frag

Post by Mr.Frag »

Combo Pry/Mogami work to deal with China.
pry

Post by pry »

Basically looking for two players (or more) who put out allot of turns to have a go at this (Testing against AI is pointless) to see if this will slow down an aggressive Japanese player from running all over and taking China out early as many players are doing now.

Comments on how/if this works are much appreciated, I am especially interested in the Chinese supply aspect as well as any possible "Offensive Possibilities" this might present.
moses

Post by moses »

I've been looking for a China only Japanese opponent for over a month. I would be happy to test this as China. Frankly I don't think Japan has a prayer. My next two weeks are a bit busy but Witp_dude and I have cranked out 8 months of turns since Dec.

I still think you need to add a little supply at start. All those upgraded units are going to draw 300 supply each on the first turn and your stockpile are going to drop very low. Maybe it won't matter in the long run but initially I don't even know if China will be able to fly its planes.
BlackVoid

Post by BlackVoid »

Moses, I will take that game.
contact me: blackvoid@freemail.hu
BlackVoid

Post by BlackVoid »

I suggest this:
- Burma road is closed/opened at historical date

Japan makes a major effort in China, so
- 2/3 of IJA level bombers deploy to China
- All Ki-51s deploy to China
- some Kwantung divs are transferred with no PPs paid (if Soviets activate then they activate, basically Japan lost)
- 2 SA divs transfer to China
- 3 zero daitai deploy to China
- 2/3 of Oscar and Nate AC deploy to China
- Airfield from Mandalay can operate AC assigned to Chinese theater

Allied player realizes the importance of China too, so reacts accordingly
- AVG + 2 heavy bomber sqdn can deploy to China (1 Brit, 1 US)
- 3 Hurricane sqdrns can deploy to China
- Heavy bombers can join in air transport (up to 1/3 of bombers originally assigned to India theatre)
- 1/3 of Dakota sqdrns can join air transport
- in India, allied player can operate from east indian bases any AC assigned to China theater
- Chinese units destined for Burma stay in China

Burma/India bases can have on both sides (together)
- 2 construction units, any BF units that have no AA, 3 AA units, 1 Air HQ

Of course I open to changes on the above, but those are about the forces I would commit as Japan/Allies if China is a priority.
Feinder

Post by Feinder »

Dang-it!

I just started a game vs. WitP_Dude. I don't have time for another.

Phoo-ey.
-F-
"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

BlackVoid

Post by BlackVoid »

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

All Chinese Corps have been increased to equal 3 divisions, I have made modest adjustments to supply levels and increased the Chinese daily supply points from 300 to 350 to help offset the stronger units. The purpose of this test scenario is to see if we can slow down operations in the Chinese theater.

What does this actually mean? Chinese Corps 2x as strong?
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

ORIGINAL: Mogami

Hi, Pry sent me a file where he increased the Chinese Corps from 2 to 4 div. I think it will solve many problems. It doubled the supply required (He added no extra supply)
Now the Japanese will have to risk Chinese attacks in locations where they strip troops to mass against any Chinese city but the Chinese still cannot get 2-1 against the Japanese by massing. (they would also have to weaken one point to attack another.
However the Chinese can now defend their cities by placing units outside them and if the Japanese enter a city to stop supply production they risk being counter attacked.

I like it.

I'll test it later since I need to run both sides. Against the AI the human always was winning before.

If nothing else both sides will need to set objective prior to attacking and wait for the units to get to 100. I don't think you want to make attacks with unready troops.

I thought you guys had doubled them to 4 divisions???
pry

Post by pry »

ORIGINAL: Tanaka
I thought you guys had doubled them to 4 divisions???

I have made several versions with various things done, This one is the one I consider the most able to slow down the China theater but not swing it towards the Chinese side.
moses

Post by moses »

2/3 of IJA level bombers deploy to China

How many planes is this??!!!

Brings out an intersting topic. Read the thread "easy way to defeat China" which I started way back in August. The idea is too just bomb China into submission with very little ground action at all. Turned out in testing to be a little slower than I wanted plus I assumed that those level bombers that you want are not available at the start. Have to take sra first.

This does point out a hole in the new OOB. They have added about an 18,000 SP per month supply requirement. They have only added 3000 sp per month added supply. Plus the initial supply level is lower because all those new units are under supplied at first and will draw down base supply levels at start of game.

So new strategy. Ground force objective is too take Yenan. This will probably be successful although I would not gurantee success. Don't try to take Changsa/Wuchow. Just bomb them to nothing. With 5 or 6 bomber groups and 3 zero groups you can do this in a few weeks. It goes fast and there is nothing China can do. I've tried bringing in Hurricans/AVG but they just don't match up early on.

With Changsa/Wuchow no longer producing China is now in supply deficit and added troops only speed the process of starving. Bombing shifts to other cities and progressivly destroys Chinese economy.

Frankly I don't think you will need that many bombers. 2 Sally groups and your dive bombers with a zero squadren will probably be sufficient for this strategy.

The extra troops are just an added burden for China.

You're thoughts? I'm still deciding on if I want to participate in this demonstration. Might be interesting.
harrer

Post by harrer »

I test it but some reinforcements have increase ( Indian), others have decrease(Anzac, Brittish)... if you will give have chance to the chinese and Indian player, just increase their reinforcements ! ! And give for the 4 chinese cities 500 supply ...

Harrer
Ron Saueracker

Post by Ron Saueracker »

Pry. Is this THE pbem scenario with all the air group work or a seperate project?

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
BlackVoid

Post by BlackVoid »

I may have second thoughts about this too. You are right that China is easy to starve by bombing.

The scen looks like a modified 15, so full map.
Mr.Frag

Post by Mr.Frag »

Frankly I don't think you will need that many bombers. 2 Sally groups and your dive bombers with a zero squadren will probably be sufficient for this strategy.

Feel free to try it out ... think you'll find that it takes more then you think to make a dent. I just ran a couple of turns worth with 3 db groups and 1 lb group and supply was still increasing, not decreasing.
moses

Post by moses »

Already tested it 5 or 6 months ago. Bombing strategy worked but was slow. With 18,000 added sp requirement odds are shifted in favor of Japan.

I think you're going to need some adjustments. I think most Chinese bases will be in the red before decemeber is out. I'll have to test it out. Just love playing with the numbers.[;)]
moses

Post by moses »

Ok I think it might be interesting and it may actually work the more I think about it. The key is that china has to lose some troops in order to get its supply accounts balanced.

I take on anyone but am looking for rules more similar to my game with WITP_DUDE or his game with Feinder. My rules are in my AAR. His are listed in the opponent wanted area. China only--one day turns. I'll be China.

Not really a competitive game. Just a test and depending on how it goes we'll continue or stop at some point.

If no takers I'll just do it head-head solitare starting tonight.
Mr.Frag

Post by Mr.Frag »

If no takers I'll just do it head-head solitare starting tonight.

It would actually be more effective for you to play yourself and work both sides as hard as you can to exploit it in both directions including stripping garrison forces should you see fit.

If all this does is mean you have to strip the rear area garrisons and fix the bases up later after wiping China, we'll need to look at that aspect of it too.

Return to “Scenario Design”